Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D supercharging speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody on here posted that a charge rate rule-of-thumb was 125-SOC=recharge kW+/-7. That has been pretty accurate for my S70. I even saw sustained rates at 100+kW with a low SOC recently, so it held true even on the low end SOC for me.
That's sounds right for old packs such as 85 (red line), although it's better to represent by green lines.
BT85-classic MS85-.png

However, for new packs such as 100, the charge power remains at about 118kW when SoC <47%, and drops 2.2kW for every 1% increase onward.
BTX6-S and X 100-.png

I did a 5% -> 95% charge just recently on a X75D. Started off at 45-50kw until about 15% then sped up to 90-95kw from 15% -> 80% before slowly tapering off. By 90% it was at 75kw. It ended back at about 50kw when I unplugged it.

Reactions: _jmk
I did a 5% -> 95% charge just recently on a X75D. Started off at 45-50kw until about 15% then sped up to 90-95kw from 15% -> 80% before slowly tapering off. By 90% it was at 75kw. It ended back at about 50kw when I unplugged it.
That is very fast. Could the pack be the software limited 85kWh? If that is the case, then you can always charge to 100% which is actually 88%. Did you take photo of the pack label?

The BTX8 battery is the 400v 85 kWh test for the S75D that only appears outside of the US. We have several S75D BTX8 runlogs in the Performance Metrics. There are probably BTX8 tests running in X75Ds outside the US. That battery has the same part number and specifications as the SP85D battery.

Like all the 400v batteries it tapers later. For acceleration, cars with the BTX8 have similar torque and max power limits, but otherwise perform like a 100D for high speed passing since the Back EMF power limits dont show up right at 70mph.

There is a BTX7 test battery in the US but it is only 350v. If you want to check for sure you can see the battery sticker in the right front wheel well if you turn your wheels all the way to the left.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lymex2018
I have been struggling with Supercharger rates on my 2017 MS 75D. I do mostly Supercharging because I am on the highway about 80% of the time. When my MS 75D was new in June 2017, I saw charge rates up to 95KW at an unshared 120KW station. After 64,000 km (40,000 mi) in 14 months, I am seeing max charge rates of 82KW. I have supposed that because I Supercharge a lot, software is restricting the charge rate, and I have asked Tesla to confirm this. I am not happy about this development as it makes my drives about an hour longer in summer and almost two hours longer in the cold winter temps. I have been driving about 1000 km (640 mi) to get to clients' offices, so I wish I had higher charge rates. If I knew this would happen, I would have bought the MS 100D vice the 75D. So for those still wondering which model to buy, if you often do long trips, without a doubt buy the 100D or larger if they exist when you read this comment. I have attached my actual charge curves from this month with one set from 3 months ago that was considerably higher, but I would certainly love to see 100KW-120KW charge rates!!

Attachments

• David Wrather Supercharge Report (Graph).pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 84
At what state of charge are you seeing only 82kw? I would generally expect only 90-95 from 75kwh battery. Extreme temperature (high or low) will reduce it somewhat. Generally you will only see charge rates over 100 from a 100 kWh battery. Higher charge rates is one of the main features of higher capacity batteries.

At what state of charge are you seeing only 82kw? I would generally expect only 90-95 from 75kwh battery. Extreme temperature (high or low) will reduce it somewhat. Generally you will only see charge rates over 100 from a 100 kWh battery. Higher charge rates is one of the main features of higher capacity batteries.
These data sets were at temps around 22°C-25°C and the 82KW only lasted about 3 minutes (see graph). I had been at highway speeds for 2-3 hrs and the starting charge states were from 20% to 49%. It seems to me that I should be getting in the 90-95KW rate when the battery is below 40-50%. I understand the rate reduction should occur around 65-75%, but that reduction happens to my MS after 45-50% or less in some cases.

i've never seen higher than 99kw (and only momentarily) ion my 75kwh battery. The difference in charge time between 99kw and 82kw is less than 5 minutes.
All I can tell you is that I used to regularly get rates up to 95KW that indicated a 500km/h (313 mph) rate that stayed high until around 65%, and now I sometimes get 82KW rate that indicates about 455km/h (284 mph) rate for about 3 minutes then it tapers off. That works out to a real-life charge time increase of more like 15 minutes per stop. I have about 3 or 4 stops in a 1000 km (625 mi) trip, so 45-60 minutes per trip. It is not life changing, but it is frustrating, especially for an engineer who wants to understand why things have changed so dramatically in such a short time. I am an engineer but not an battery expert or an electrical engineer :)

I've never seen faster than 90kW in my MX75D... I do Supercharge often, haven't noticed a slow-down, but Bjorn on YouTube has done a number of videos on this. Over-all, the charging speed shouldn't be significantly longer because while it doesn't get as fast, it also seems to go a little longer at a sustained speed. If you want the perfect compromise of charging speed and distance, get the 3 with a LR battery. I've gotten 119kW out of that battery charging, and because it's a 75 pack with all that range, it's terrific.

Same thing happened with my 75D. I supercharge a lot and am now limited to 80kW charge. Max i see is 82 and for a brief moment. I use to get 96kW. This was discuss in the S forum. Happens on the 90 battery also.