Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D vs 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys:

Looking to finalize my purchase on the model x.

I am on the fence between the lower battery pack and higher battery pack. I commute about 15 miles each way for work.

Is it worth it to get the higher battery pack? Anyone get the 75D and regret it? I talked to my Tesla rep and she said the 75D and 90D are shipping in the same time frame if I choose the 6 or 7 seater. Thanks!

This is a difficult one to answer, a lot of people find themselves road tripping more than previously once they get their Tesla. Remember that if you are keeping your car for the long term there will be some battery degradation and if you are expecting to change in a few years you will recover some of your extra cost for the 90 on resale.

When I ordered the 75 was not available, my commute is similar but I travel regularly out of town in mountainous country and superchargers are sparse in my area so ordering the 90 was a no brainer but there is a big differential in price.

One other consideration, which may not be important to you is the 75 has less acceleration and although I am well past my 0-60 days, I am used to having a bit of extra power to get out of potentially sticky situations.

I am still a month away from delivery but have no regrets in paying more for the 90D, the extra cost amortised over the term I expect to keep the car seemed worthwhile to me given my use case. Your situation may be different but I am sure you will enjoy the X whichever model you choose.

Reactions: vrykolas
thanks for the input Reeler and Festerfeet. I was reading the threads about there being an autopilot 2.0 coming out and may just wait until it's released and buy it then. the 1000 dollars referral discount is not enough to warrant pulling the trigger.

If you can afford extra $10k, go for 90D. i was in the same dilemma in late April, when I was in a process of finalizing. You can look up my posts and amazing answers from out TMC friends. After debating, I went for 90D. Tesla recommends charging at 90%, that means 75D will give max. 200 miles and 90D will give around 230 at 90%. Not to mention, little degradation of battery as it ages. That will reduce the range further. Your commute is so small that you might think 200 mile is more than enough, but believe me, when you will travel longer trips, you will regret smaller battery option, if you choose. Again, it is a personal choice. Who knows, may be better software may make it go longer in future!!?? After all it is TESLA. One of the best..
Good luck, my friend..
BTW: I am picking mine in couple of days. :):):)

Reactions: vrykolas
I drove the 90 D and I think I am going to finalize with 90D. I was reading the threads and the general consensus is that the mileage for 90D is not 257 but more 270+ and for some reason is underestimated for the model x 90D. Also it helps with resale value if I want to resale it again.

I drove the 90 D and I think I am going to finalize with 90D. I was reading the threads and the general consensus is that the mileage for 90D is not 257 but more 270+ and for some reason is underestimated for the model x 90D. Also it helps with resale value if I want to resale it again.

I would agree that the 90 is going to be a wiser buy but where are you hearing that the range is 270+, I have never heard that or seen that.

If you can afford extra $10k, go for 90D. i was in the same dilemma in late April, when I was in a process of finalizing. You can look up my posts and amazing answers from out TMC friends. After debating, I went for 90D. Tesla recommends charging at 90%, that means 75D will give max. 200 miles and 90D will give around 230 at 90%. Not to mention, little degradation of battery as it ages. That will reduce the range further. Your commute is so small that you might think 200 mile is more than enough, but believe me, when you will travel longer trips, you will regret smaller battery option, if you choose. Again, it is a personal choice. Who knows, may be better software may make it go longer in future!!?? After all it is TESLA. One of the best..
Good luck, my friend..
BTW: I am picking mine in couple of days. :):):)
Actually 90% charge on the 75D is 213 miles (237 * 0.9=213), that is also what I get on my 75D (1000+ miles already on it). On the 90D it is supposed to be 257*0.9=231 miles so 18 miles more for +10k. I am happy that I went with the 75D. Btw I can easily do 316 W/miles which translates to 75kw/316W/miles = 237 miles for 100% charge, so the rating from Tesla is real.

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne
I would agree that the 90 is going to be a wiser buy but where are you hearing that the range is 270+, I have never heard that or seen that.
To get to 270 miles range you need a consumption rate of 333 W/miles that would be possible with a 75D but not with a 90D which is heavier (larger battery and motors). In fact 90D is rated for 350 W/miles (75D is rated for 316 W/miles and this explains why with +15kWh larger battery you get only 20 miles of additional range).

Range in the 60 could go up a bit if they removed the 15kWh and just used a 60 kWh battery instead of the 75. However, they must just be making 75 in an automated fashion so why make another pack size with lower voltage? The problem comes in monetizing that extra amount of batteries. But as a buyer of a 60, I would want the car to be lighter for better range. I have to wonder how few 60 buyers will really convert to a 75 later on - or if it is just when it enters the CPO period and up-badged to a 75?

One thing that you might not be aware of : the 60/70/75 all uses 14 modules in the battery instead of 16. This means that the pack, when full, is closer to 350V than 400V.

Because of that, the car is both slower (that was already said in that thread) but most people tend to forget that supercharging is also slower. Both the car's HV cables and the supercharger themselves are current limited. Less voltage at the same current = less power.

The 270 was something an user quoted as average range with their MX 90D.

Man, I was set on finalizing my model X. but now that 60D is out, it's making more sense for me to save 20,000 dollars and get the 60D. I might keep my other car as a backup for longer trip and my model x would be a third car for work commuting. :) this is like the best for all situations.

true that. I was getting a trade in value of 21 to 24 thousands for my used car and the amount I save on getting a smaller battery pack is almost equivalent. It may make sense to just keep my used car for longer trips and use the model x for my every day usage. :)

im just worried that autopilot 2.0 may come out after i get the car.

For our S we went 85kwh 3 years ago.
For our X we thought for a long time and ended up with 75D.

When we go skiing up in Tahoe the 75D will cause 10 minutes more supercharging each way than the 90D.
Even driving SF->LA the extra time is about 30 minutes.
When supercharging we are normally eating at Chili's or wherever, so most journeys we will spend no time waiting as a result of choosing 75D.

When we are around town it doesn't matter. We never exceed 200 miles driven around town in a day.

The only occasion it really matters for us is trips to somewhere without significant destination charging ... we have to get from supercharger to destination AND back. e.g. what if we went skiing at a resort without charging? However Tesla is putting superchargers and destination chargers in at a rapid rate (I expect it to double again in the next 2 years) so I'm not worried.

Eventually if we take a roadtrip with a travel trailer then it will matter more, but we don't have a travel trailer as yet!

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I am happy that I chose the 75D, for the price bump of $10000 (price difference $12500 less $2500 for Air Suspension which is standard on 90D), you get so little boost in range: (257-237) x 90% = 18 miles, and takes 20% off from there which is consumed by A/C and other conditions, will be around 14.1 miles.

In my opinion It's almost not worth it. I will choose 75D again if you asked me to configure another one.

I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same battery only limited by software) which is 316 Wh/miles (90 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221

I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same battery only limited by software) which is 316 Wh/miles (90 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221
Such inconsistencies are why people think the 90D actually has higher range. Also, remember that a 90kWh battery isn't exactly 90kWh, and that not 100% of it is accessible. Honestly I'm thinking of changing my display to show percentage rather than rated miles, because rarely do I drive exactly at rated. It's either above or below. It'd be really cool if we could get a 75D and a 90D to drive right next to each other, under the same conditions, climate control off (since we don't really trust that A/C works correctly/the same in all X's at the moment), for a long distance and see what they come up with for actual usage. I just don't see how a 75D could be that much more efficient. Yes, it's lighter from a smaller battery, but afaik it's the exact same motor (just with less power available to it).