Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D vs 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your only use of the Model X is to commute 15 miles? No road trips to visit the inlaws? No soccer team shuttle? No hobbies that require you to haul cargo? The others would have a greater impact on the battery selection than a 15 mile commute.

Hi guys:

Looking to finalize my purchase on the model x.

I am on the fence between the lower battery pack and higher battery pack. I commute about 15 miles each way for work.

Is it worth it to get the higher battery pack? Anyone get the 75D and regret it? I talked to my Tesla rep and she said the 75D and 90D are shipping in the same time frame if I choose the 6 or 7 seater. Thanks!

I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same battery only limited by software) which is 316 Wh/miles (90 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221

Don't forget the 60D can be charged to 100% every time since it's really a 75 underneath. I charge my 75D to 90% and I get 210 so a 90% charge on a X60D will probably be close to 200. Not bad for day to day use. Road trips will be tougher.

I don't get how the 60D rated range could be 200 miles. If the Wh/miles is the same as the 75D (same battery only limited by software) which is 316 Wh/miles (90 kwh/316 Wh/miles = 237 miles) then the 60D would have a max range of 60kWh/316Wh/mil= 189 miles. The math does not work out the advertised 200 miles.
BTW when the 70D was available in the design studio the rated range was 220 miles that works out if you do 70kWh/316Wh/mil = 221

The answer is simple. Because the 60D's battery isn't really 60 kWh. The 60D is a 75D with battery's capacity limited by software. Which means they could tune it up to provide exactly 200 miles of range (ideal, not rated or actual) as they advertised.

Yeah. the model x would be a daily commuter. I have my wife's car for longer road trips to visit the in laws or to do road tripping to destination stuff.

I think the 100% charge would work well for more than 99% of my uses. also i like the idea of not spending 100,000 dollars on a car.

Hi guys:

Looking to finalize my purchase on the model x.

I am on the fence between the lower battery pack and higher battery pack. I commute about 15 miles each way for work.

Is it worth it to get the higher battery pack? Anyone get the 75D and regret it? I talked to my Tesla rep and she said the 75D and 90D are shipping in the same time frame if I choose the 6 or 7 seater. Thanks!

If you are in NYC also count on a lot of cold weather loss. If you start with say 240 miles, you'll only charge to 90% usually so really only have 216, more than that is slower to get to as well and "unhealthy often". Then you'll lose a good 20-40% at times in really cold weather, short trips, etc. So you'll have around 130-150 miles really in very cold weather, if you want to stay warm. You'll also see say 2% loss in first year, and maybe few more % after a few years more...

Range is king, get as much as you can.

My first Tesla was a 60 S and the range was stressful. The little battery symbol goes down so fast. I drive maybe 30 miles a day but my parents live 80 miles away and there is nowhere to charge at their house and the supercharger is 50 miles back towards my house. But I also do not go down there that much.

I am also on the fence about the 2nd row. The middle seat does block the rear mirror and it was sort of nice having it to lean over on but I do like the middle space of the two seats. The two seats are not that comfortable and seem really close to the door, which is sort of annoying.

I have 2 hours to decide and it's driving me nuts.

I drove a P90X today and loved it, not spending that kind of money so I am leaning towards a 75D.

Last edited:
What made me choose the 6 seater config is that the middle seat in the second row is not very comfy. it's a tight head room spot and can't imagine someone sitting there comfortably. also the third row people can extend their legs out thru the empty middle part of second row. also the visibility of having a second row middle seat head rest is awful.

also, its a great spot to store stuff. I can imagine I will use it to have my dog and also bags sit there.

I also chose the 60D instead of 75D because it's a huge price difference between 90D and 60D. also i can charge the 60D to 100% every day without degrading the battery. :)

I was having a similar discussion on another thread. I think 200 rated miles is a magic number Tesla HAD to hit for the 60D to be feasible. But since it's the same weight as the 70D and the spec sheet on the X page lists the same horsepower and torque, there really are only two possibilities I see:

1) Range us underestimated on the 75D and 90D Model X. Very, very unlikely - Tesla wants every RM they can get

2) The 60D actually allows use of 63 or 64 KW to get to 200 RM. This has to be it.

Others will chime in I'm sure. I'm new so maybe I've missed something obvious!

@DougH The good thing is that if you stay with the 60KWh battery, you can always call Tesla and have them active the switch remotely to upgrade it to the 75 KWh. To me, save the money and see if you can live with the limited charging. If not, flip the switch. JMHO

Yes this is true and I would love to have $9500 at my disposal lol

If I sell my sig soon I am going with the 90

I think the 60D seemed to me the bang for buck- best value. I don't need to accelerate that fast and i dont think i will be going past 30 miles round trip on my daily commute. also 60D is something that i can unlock to 75D if i dont have enough range. :)

Reactions: ABCCBA
Thanks guys for these great inputs. I am also gonna decide whether to go for 75d or 90d. We have only three choices and obviously p100d is out of question which leave us with two only. I will be mainly using here in city as we cant go on longer routes here in Hong Kong. Weather is not so cold here. I am bit ignorant on the calculations side so i was just wondering if its really worth on long term bss to spend this extra 10K for 90d.

Though i do hv concerns for frequent charging and depletion as i will be charging at super chargers only.

I think it really depends on where you live and what your planning to do.

I live pretty bang in the middle of the UK (Leicester - won the English Soccer championship last year)

Working on the basis our 60kWh Model X will have a realistic motorway range of 150miles when driven at 70mph and heater on, I drew a circle around my house to see just what kind of range that covers. Add in the numerous superchargers dotted on the major roads, I was surprised to see if on a family holiday stopping at any one of those charger points would give us enough range to reach pretty much the whole of the UK without any worries.

Of course a bigger battery is nice but the price differential between our 60kWh X and 90D is in the region of £20K, which is probably enough to pay for a bare bones M3 when it arrives!! If I lived in the US and needed to travel 300 miles+ regularly it would be a different.

@mkq786 When did you last have a chance to drive a car for 2hr+ none stop at 70mph+ living in HK?? The main advantage of a 90D over 75D is in those long trips driving at speed, where you need the extra kWh to act as a buffer to make sure you can make it the last stretch or you want to drive be able to drive at 80mph rather than 65mph. I current drive a 24kWh Leaf, and even with a range of only 70 miles in winter I've covered 12K miles around the city with no issues. Not having a home charger is an issue, but even so I cannot see the extra 30 miles of range in a 90D making your life $10K better off compared to a 75D.

31157665536_f88ec0b286_c.jpg

Last edited:
I think it really depends on where you live and what your planning to do.

I live pretty bang in the middle of the UK (Leicester - won the English Soccer championship last year)

Working on the basis our 60kWh Model X will have a realistic motorway range of 150miles when driven at 70mph and heater on, I drew a circle around my house to see just what kind of range that covers. Add in the numerous superchargers dotted on the major roads, I was surprised to see if on a family holiday stopping at any one of those charger points would give us enough range to reach pretty much the whole of the UK without any worries.
31157665536_f88ec0b286_c.jpg
Just wanted to point out an interesting website that was brought to my attention recently...

That 150 mile circle around your house is the ideal distance you can drive in a straight line. Of course there are no straight roads in England, so you wouldn't get anywhere close to that distance. For example, you probably couldn't get to Liverpool.

Someone wrote a cool app to actually use the roadways to estimate a more accurate 150 mile perimeter.
You can check it out here: How Far Can I Travel

Of course there are no straight roads in England, so you wouldn't get anywhere close to that distance. For example, you probably couldn't get to Liverpool.

Humm....Not entirely sure to respond but may be :).

Google Leicester to Liverpool, 119 Miles on England Motorway network - These are roads (paved and lit at night), with usually 3 lanes and usually run pretty straight abit like your interstate.