Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 seems imminent...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing an update now. What's the best way to read what's coming on an update. Like I have no clue now what's updating

There is no way. Well, there probably is, but we don't know it yet. A major update MIGHT come with release notes of SOME of the changes. Minor updates just happen, and a repeat of the release notes from the major release or no release notes come with them.

Sorry, that's just how the game is played.

At least we get updates, which is usually a good thing.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This one just says minor bugs and fixed on the release notes. I hope later they will send us more information if this is indeed the AP2 updates

Based on a tweet from Musk and the timing of the update, it appears that the 2.52.120 build currently rolling out to what appears to be the entire HW2 fleet (cars with AP hardware version 2) gives all cars limited Enhanced Autopilot capability operating in shadow mode, which we understand means that the car is doing all the calculations and decision making for the feature, but not actually controlling the car. The purpose of shadow mode is for Tesla to be able to see how well the software works. Musk said that if all goes well by end of week, the limited Enhanced Autopilot will be "actuated" for all the cars. This functionality will either be what was shipped and actuated for the first 1,000, or maybe something grander.

If any part of Enhanced Autopilot becomes available for your car, expect release notes. You can read the release notes the first 1,000 here: Enhanced AP 2.0 Q&A (lastest update with photos & notes 1/14/2017) | Tesla Motors

I bought my X in December expecting to have autopilot 2 by the end of December. Now it is January 21, wtf? I have no carpool sticker, I have no autopilot as of today. My commute has been fxk up, even we will eventually get ap2, it can only go 35mph.

Am I the only one who is really oissed off and disappointed? How hard it is to give us a real date?

There are quite a few who are pissed off and disappointed, like calling it a bait and switch. There's been lengthy discussion on the topic but at the end of the day, this is what you get for being a Tesla owner. They sell you features that won't materialize for a while. If they told you end of December, veteran Tesla owners would tell you that's not going to happen.

Just hang in there, you should be getting something (gradually) this month.

Reactions: Bilen
I bought my X in December expecting to have autopilot 2 by the end of December. Now it is January 21, wtf? I have no carpool sticker, I have no autopilot as of today. My commute has been fxk up, even we will eventually get ap2, it can only go 35mph.

No, it can only go 35 mph in the current update. That's another restriction that will go away as Tesla continues to improve the DNN - possibly as part of a future FW update, or possibly as a "shadow mode" thing that (I assume) changes w/o an update.

How long did you drive the same commute in an ICE vehicle? If is really "fxk up"?

I still don't see why you can't get a carpool sticker, though. Why did you include that?

I traded in my S for a X, my S had carpool sticker but no AP. I missed AP from my S by few days. Waiting for the AP2 for 2 years ,finally go my X but now have to deal with my commute. I haven't got my plates, so I can't apply for a carpool sticker.

I understand the AP2 would continue to develop over time. But we were told end of December, then they add on the 35mph restrictions. I understand the wait, but my commute is killing me, and all I am asking is a real date. March. April, or January 2018. Keep telling us every week "by the end of the week" is really pissing me off.

I am reserving judgement as whether it is bait-and-switch. Tesla confirmed my order on Sept. 30th. Elon Musk announced that all the cars coming off the assembly line would be AP2 on Oct. 19. (Now I think I understand why my sales rep worked so hard to get me to take an inventory car!) When I ordered the car, I chose that $3k "Autopilot convenience features". Then, on 10/22, Tesla sent an email suggesting I upgrade to "Enhanced Autopilot" or FSD and that "post delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1000 surcharge". I have a kid in college and another going in a few years, so buying this car is challenging to my cashflow, and I elected to not upgrade and took delivery on Saturday after Thanksgiving.
So now I have a car with no autopilot whatsoever. I am willing to wait for a SW update, because I am generally a technophile. Probably I will get "AP1" equivalent performance. However, if it turns out that I have to upgrade to EAP to get any sort of AP, I fail to see how that could not meet the legal definition of bait-and-switch. I paid $3000 for something and should not have to come up with thousands more to get it.
(I am on .120, BTW)

There are quite a few who are pissed off and disappointed, like calling it a bait and switch. There's been lengthy discussion on the topic but at the end of the day, this is what you get for being a Tesla owner. They sell you features that won't materialize for a while. If they told you end of December, veteran Tesla owners would tell you that's not going to happen.

Just hang in there, you should be getting something (gradually) this month.

There's a classic business book called Crossing the Chasm, about the various groups of customer types from early adopters through conservatives, and how tech companies must adapt as they grow and gain acceptance with new groups. These groups are clearly represented in this forum.

Tesla is all-tech, they are not a traditional car company to say the least. Probably Tesla (and @elonmusk) need to shift their approach a little as they sell more and more to the average person.