Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 inch hairline crack in glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But 2 miles of charge might cost you $0.03

Would you pay someone $0.03 to pre-cool your ICE car everyday?

What's the worry?
My access to charging is somewhat annoying,, I have to park the car in a separate location as close as possible to a fence.. so I try to maximize my range. 2 miles every time I use the car quickly adds up (I live in SoCal where this is an issue almost all year long) and I do a lot of small trips.

Just checking in for the benefit of anyone facing similar issues in the future:

Concern(s): 1) 8 in crack in glass roof, detected and reported to Tesla on Aug 24. 2) Signature strip in the daytime running lights assembly was dimmer on the passenger’s side than on the driver’s side. 3) Reported reasonably high phantom drain losses (especially noticeable in my car on FW 24.x onwards).

Fix: 1) Glass roof panel replaced under warranty by Tesla on Sep 15 (3 week turnaround mainly owing to part needing to be shipped to my local service center from CA). 2) Headlight assembly replaced under warranty. 3) BMS firmware update was pushed and installed (resulting impact tba).

24 hour turnaround once the car was in. Was given an X loaner (P90DL) meanwhile. Asides from further afield —- biggest differences I noticed between my car (RWD 3) and the X - a) Regen braking was MUCH stronger on the X - something I really wish the M3 gets via software someday! b) Acceleration feel was very similar on the X (sport mode) and my 3. Ludicrous mode is an entirely different matter. c) overall usability, handling and drive comfort, I MUCH prefer my 3. Cupholders are all in the right places, the steering wheel is not prehistoric/humongous and the vehicle corners SO much better. But the two are not really apples to apples of course. Just the top 3 things I noticed. Close fourth: automatic presenting doors will be missed; my toddler gushing about the 3 badly needing falcon wings will NOT be missed...

All in all - very impressed with Tesla service: complementary wash/vacuum, loaner, and almost bi-hourly status updates were especially appreciated!

• Informative
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
The back needs to be tinted. It’s really hot for passengers if not. And looks ugly. So hence I’ll risk it and remove the tint if anything happens.
I disagree but I suppose it varies where you live. I live in Redwood City, CA. It gets hot some days but not like Arizona or Vegas. I've sitten in the back and have my child's seat in the back and neither him or I have experience too much heat from the overhead sun.

My toddler noticed this in my Model 3 while driving today. The car has been a 100% garaged while at home and it is parked in a covered parking structure while at work.

I remember reading stories of some early Model 3's developing stress-cracks, but more isolated than widespread as far as I can tell. Doesn't look like a chip from road debris - and for a crack that size, I ought to have heard the impact, plus I think a rock would've left a different impact pattern. Can't feel the crack from inside the car, I guess the glass is double paned.

Any idea of what may have caused this? Anyone feel it's big enough that I should not drive the vehicle around till service appt (Tuesday AM)? Forecast looks clear. Thanks in advance!

Tesla service rep I talked to in the morning guessed that Tesla would replace the section after taking a look at my pictures, if it's indeed a defect.

Sent an email message for Tesla Service in Marietta with pictures this morning; waiting to hear back (they said they'd follow up). I haven't heard back yet so I scheduled a service appt using my online dashboard because it rains pretty heavily in Aug. in Georgia and I'd hate for this crack to widen if left unattended.

Other than that, the only other issue I've spotted in the last 3 months of ownership is the daytime running lights on the passenger's side not being as bright as on the driver's side. Will bring that up when I take it in on Tuesday.

View attachment 328531 View attachment 328533 View attachment 328534

I has a similar situation but the crack wasn't as bad. It was more like several stress cracks emanating from a central point. That happened to be over a glass anchor point. Tesla covered replacement without any questions. Took them 2 weeks to get the replacement window, then 48 hours to replace the window and resolve another separate issue. They gave me a loaner S during that time.

I didn't have the window tinted but I did have a ceramic coating over the entire car. The shop that applied the coating is going to redo my rear window for free. (I also had the entire car wrapped with PPF so I spent a good amount of $$ with them.)