Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 inch hairline crack in glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too had my roof replaced.. took only 3 days. They had overnighted the part.

Looking back how does everyone feel about the glass roof? Personally the way I see it.. it seems to be more headaches than anything else.

- it’s so tinted you can’t see anything thru anyway
- it seems so thin I worry that minor debris could crack it
- I don’t know cost of replacement but I suspect a lot
- it doesn’t open
- it brings a massive amount of heat in the car

- it brings a massive amount of heat in the car

When you say “massive amount of heat” can you be more specific? What I’m really trying to determine is whether you feel the glass roof allows in so much heat that you or your passengers are uncomfortable on hot, sunny days. Or does the HVAC system keep you cool and comfortable even when it’s 100 F outside?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree with the “massive amount of heat” from the glass roof. Specific example from today from McDonough, GA. Outside was 75F at 10 am and inside the car (as seen from the app) while parked in bright sunlight was 114F. I have disabled cabin overheat protection as I suspected (not validated yet) that it was vampire draining my battery too much even when garaged, and interior temp was well under 105F.

My practice of precooling the car 10 mins before setting foot has had me covered so far. I’ve cursed myself a couple of times for forgetting to precool on the rare occasion when this has happened. The glass roof surely adds to the cabin heat, but precooling in my experience, does help offset this to a great extent.

The glass crack has increased at least 4 inches while parked in the sun. Guess this calls for a second message to Tesla next week. For those who had their glass roofs replaced, should I be concerned that the interior glass layer would be compromised from sun exposure/rain given that the crack is now surely widening? I would love for Tesla to overnight the parts and get it fixed ASAP. Hope don’t have to stay this way (or worse) for 7 weeks...

When you say “massive amount of heat” can you be more specific? What I’m really trying to determine is whether you feel the glass roof allows in so much heat that you or your passengers are uncomfortable on hot, sunny days. Or does the HVAC system keep you cool and comfortable even when it’s 100 F outside?

Thanks for your thoughts.
The rear window DOES NOT allow a lot of heat. That's just not true at all. I've been back there.

AND the air-conditioner is phenomenal in the Model 3 - even without pre-heating it.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I agree with the “massive amount of heat” from the glass roof. Specific example from today from McDonough, GA. Outside was 75F at 10 am and inside the car (as seen from the app) while parked in bright sunlight was 114F. I have disabled cabin overheat protection as I suspected (not validated yet) that it was vampire draining my battery too much even when garaged, and interior temp was well under 105F.

My practice of precooling the car 10 mins before setting foot has had me covered so far. I’ve cursed myself a couple of times for forgetting to precool on the rare occasion when this has happened. The glass roof surely adds to the cabin heat, but precooling in my experience, does help offset this to a great extent.

The glass crack has increased at least 4 inches while parked in the sun. Guess this calls for a second message to Tesla next week. For those who had their glass roofs replaced, should I be concerned that the interior glass layer would be compromised from sun exposure/rain given that the crack is now surely widening? I would love for Tesla to overnight the parts and get it fixed ASAP. Hope don’t have to stay this way (or worse) for 7 weeks...
You guys really need to top with the "massive amount of heat" stuff.

I challenge everyone to compare the interior temp of a Tesla next to any other car parked in the sun for the same amount of time. I've done it with a yellow dodge charger in my companies parking lot. The interior temp was within 3 degrees at noon and 1PM (lunch time ) 4 days in a row.

Reactions: PoitNarf
All untinted glass burns when under direct sunlight. It needs to be tinted

I don't know what glass you guys received in your Model 3,s but my glass has a layer of something on it that keeps it far from burning anything. Tomorrow I'm going to use my temp gun directly on the window from the inside and compare it to the dodge charger window from the inside.

Again...guys at my job put a digital thermometer inside 3 cars in the parking lot. One was my Model 3 and the ambient temp was within 3 degrees for 4 days.

They would love to do temp readings with a harbor freight temp gun on Monday.

My toddler noticed this in my Model 3 while driving today. The car has been a 100% garaged while at home and it is parked in a covered parking structure while at work.

I remember reading stories of some early Model 3's developing stress-cracks, but more isolated than widespread as far as I can tell. Doesn't look like a chip from road debris - and for a crack that size, I ought to have heard the impact, plus I think a rock would've left a different impact pattern. Can't feel the crack from inside the car, I guess the glass is double paned.

Any idea of what may have caused this? Anyone feel it's big enough that I should not drive the vehicle around till service appt (Tuesday AM)? Forecast looks clear. Thanks in advance!

Tesla service rep I talked to in the morning guessed that Tesla would replace the section after taking a look at my pictures, if it's indeed a defect.

Sent an email message for Tesla Service in Marietta with pictures this morning; waiting to hear back (they said they'd follow up). I haven't heard back yet so I scheduled a service appt using my online dashboard because it rains pretty heavily in Aug. in Georgia and I'd hate for this crack to widen if left unattended.

Other than that, the only other issue I've spotted in the last 3 months of ownership is the daytime running lights on the passenger's side not being as bright as on the driver's side. Will bring that up when I take it in on Tuesday.

View attachment 328531 View attachment 328533 View attachment 328534
I had the same exact thing happen to my Model S. Tesla replaced it without any questions.

Reactions: emeraldap
Same here. And I drove it to Vegas and back, with no issues.

One thing i'd do, i'd call once or twice within the window they provided.

I had brought my car in for another slight issue, and inquired about my new roof, and they said, oh it'll be here in 2 days, even though it was halfway through the window they provided. Can't hurt to check a couple times.

As to "massive" heat. I had my car out in the sun 1/2 a day when it was 117 here, and I noticed no heat whatsoever inside.