Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 months old USA MYLR7 to UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be moving in the next 6 months to London.
I have my 8 months old Model Y that my employer will ship on their cost.

I was told that I need to have some modifications done before the car be registered in UK.

Anyone here has done it? what's your experience? Mind to share your experience?

I will be moving in the next 6 months to London.
I have my 8 months old Model Y that my employer will ship on their cost.

I was told that I need to have some modifications done before the car be registered in UK.

Anyone here has done it? what's your experience? Mind to share your experience?
Are their any good personal reasons for shipping the car to UK? If you think about the depreciation of the used car, it is not worth the hassle with the LHD car with wrong port in UK. You can easily get a 3/Y for lease/PCP or buy within few weeks. Teslas are pretty common in UK atleast in London and south east. Again they have the seamless online buying service very similar to what you have there in US.

Seems like pricing is very high for tesla in UK. Plus I may not eligible for the tax credits like here in USA.

Resale value for tesla is sucks at this time.
I thought my only cost would be bring the car to UK standards, which is maybe changing the headlights etc.
I didn't think about the insurance been high due to imported vehicle.

Seems like pricing is very high for tesla in UK. Plus I may not eligible for the tax credits like here in USA.

I thought my only cost would be bring the car to UK standards, which is maybe changing the headlights etc.
And the charge port. That is A Big Deal

Im not sure about the headlights but dont your indicators at the rear flash in red as well, DRL'? .... Have spoken to Tesla as to see what is entailed.. You might even need software?

I may not eligible for the tax credits like here in USA.
There are no tax credits but there are grants of £2500 for vehicles that costs below £35,000 in UK.

I think probably it may cost around $32000 (after $7500 tax credit) in US for a Y - the extra £14000 - whether that can be saved by changing the charge port or fitting an adopter, and then the software side of things in relation to maps and the SIM if you can do that, yes it is worth the save. But if you are going to be around for few years - lease is a better option and there are good business deals and salary sacrifice programs (if your company allows - you can grab a deal for around £300 monthly - similar to US deals)

Put the car in storage/lend it so someone then get a rental/lease vehicle if needed for duration of your visit.

Or…

Buy a second hand car and sell at end of stay.

Or, as in case of my wife’s family, get employer to buy you a car then they can sell it at the end. When they tried to ship things between countries it invariably went horribly wrong and ended up with a load of damaged items (often customs heavy handiness) and a big insurance claim.

Are you sure you wouldn’t have to pay back tax credits if exporting so soon?

a question is - for how long you move to UK?

London is very peculiar place to own a car.... :D

I will be there min 3 years and maybe 5 years.
Not particularly in London but close to Huntingdon area, very close to Cambridge.

Are you sure you wouldn’t have to pay back tax credits if exporting so soon?
I don't think so. its not permanent move, and I will still be filing taxes in states even though I am not living in states.

There are no tax credits but there are grants of £2500 for vehicles that costs below £35,000 in UK.

I think probably it may cost around $32000 (after $7500 tax credit) in US for a Y - the extra £14000 - whether that can be saved by changing the charge port or fitting an adopter, and then the software side of things in relation to maps and the SIM if you can do that, yes it is worth the save. But if you are going to be around for few years - lease is a better option and there are good business deals and salary sacrifice programs (if your company allows - you can grab a deal for around £300 monthly - similar to US deals)
employer will not contribute anything.
how much will it cost me to lease M3 RWD with grant etc with 10k yearly miles.
and how much after grant it will cost me if I pay out cash?

Go to Tesla.com and select UK as your country then you can see all the prices.

I would make sure you are sitting down, as they won't be what you are used to in the US, but you'll have a lot more of that to come when you get here.

in UK employers usually provide company car or cash allowance.
You employer is not doing that? Can they lease it for you?

it makes very little sense to drive LHD in RHD environment.

I would just lease second hand tesla or any other car or something. it will make more sense... there is a lot of issues of importing vehicle like this into uk..

I presume they will have to pay a pretty penny to ship it here (and back again). Maybe that creates some wiggle room for them to help?

Your car will have steering wheel on the wrong side ... that, of course, is doable ... I take my car to other-side countries a few times a year, for a week or so; but I've also hired correct-side-wheel cars in those counties (and had no difficulty driving other-side-wheel cars in those countries). But I think I'd hate it if I had to use wrong-side-wheel every day for YEARS. I reckon there has to be an element of it being less safe too ...

but you'll have a lot more of that to come when you get here

Not sure about that ... there's plenty of stuff, like food, that seems expensive to me in US-of-A. But, yeah, some Brit stuff is going to rob the poor O/P blind.

close to Huntingdon area, very close to Cambridge.

That's not going to work. For a Brit Huntingdon and Cambridge are nowhere near each other.

Americans think that 200 years is a long time ...

.... Brits think that 200 miles is a LONG WAY :)

Its 20 miles ... more importantly it's probably an hours drive :(

There is no grant.
But as others have said we use a different charge port here. and I don't think a NACS to CCS2 adaptor even exists so how would you charge it. Sure you could get a NACS cable and charge at home but you would never be able to DC fast charge it unless you had it fully converted to CCS2.
People have askex this before. As far as i know no one has done it is just too problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel