Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 months old USA MYLR7 to UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no tax credits but there are grants of £2500 for vehicles that costs below £35,000 in UK.

I think probably it may cost around $32000 (after $7500 tax credit) in US for a Y - the extra £14000 - whether that can be saved by changing the charge port or fitting an adopter, and then the software side of things in relation to maps and the SIM if you can do that, yes it is worth the save. But if you are going to be around for few years - lease is a better option and there are good business deals and salary sacrifice programs (if your company allows - you can grab a deal for around £300 monthly - similar to US deals)
PICG (Plug In Car Grant) on regular cars has been defunct since the middle of June last year I'm afraid.

@shyboy

NACS port doesn't exist in Europe, including the UK. Not sure how you would even charge it, except via the granny charger plugged into a travel adapter - which sounds like a pretty impressive way to start a fire.

Don't think you'll have any connectivity in the car. A European SIM is embedded in the cars over here. I'd be amazed if whichever roaming US SIM is in the car would work over here.

Headlight alignment wrong (driving on the left)

LHD driving position a pain for various things over here - e.g. toll booths, ticket machines, etc.

Although you definitely would have to pay more to actually lease a car over here, I think you would lose a lot of money trying to sell your car over here, so you're sortof trading one kick in the balls for another.

All that said I'd be very interested to know what happens with an FSD Beta enabled car over here....

Reactions: Simonsquiff
Putting cost aside, you have to make sure you can charge it in UK, there are different CCS standards, otherwise your option for charging will be limited. Also, you have to learn how to back up in the drive through lane of McDonalds 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71
I will be there min 3 years and maybe 5 years.
Not particularly in London but close to Huntingdon area, very close to Cambridge.

I don't think so. its not permanent move, and I will still be filing taxes in states even though I am not living in states.
For all the reasons outlined, my strong advice is don't do it. Some time back another poster imported or purchased a USA sourced Tesla and found themselves in a very unfortunate position. If it were a classic or collectible car, without all the gadgetry involved in an EV (and Tesla specifically which can vary significantly in different countries) it could be worth bringing.

Your situation has similarities to one I was in some time ago. My company had a very particular list of "perks" for people being sent overseas. Asking for any deviation, regardless of how sensible, was rejected as "not in the policy." Obviously it is painful to relinquish a relatively new car and faced with the prospect of buying again and taking the hit is unwelcome. At least see if your employer would credit you the savings on shipping a car back and forth. Mine wouldn't.

And that 3-5 years -- mine was a two-year commitment. That was 30 years and 2 countries ago (same company though). My choice but you never know what the future holds. About the US taxes, those don't go away unfortunately.

I will be there min 3 years and maybe 5 years.
Not particularly in London but close to Huntingdon area, very close to Cambridge.

I don't think so. its not permanent move, and I will still be filing taxes in states even though I am not living in states.
Anything over 6 months is classed as a permanent move for cars in UK and you would have to register it here so you would have to pay VAT and import duty, I would be surprised if US didn’t had some sort of clause in rebate for use in USA only sort of thing?

That's not going to work. For a Brit Huntingdon and Cambridge are nowhere near each other.

Americans think that 200 years is a long time ...

.... Brits think that 200 miles is a LONG WAY :)

Its 20 miles ... more importantly it's probably an hours drive
Welcome to Britain @shyboy and Cambridgeshire. A great place to live as @WannabeOwner mentioned if you are on the south of Cambridgeshire. I guess your US connection point more towards Alconbury which is more closer to Hunts and Peterborough than Cambridge.

But you will see lots of Teslas around in the East - and you have SC at the Trumpington and St Neots, Not close to you if you are in Alconbury unfortunately.

Whatever you think you might gain/save in terms of the relative cost of your car versus a UK equivalent, you will more than lose when you try to sell your (US) car over here. You will have to almost give it away or sell it for scrap.

Bite the bullet - sell the US car and buy a replacement when you get here.

Whatever you think you might gain/save in terms of the relative cost of your car versus a UK equivalent, you will more than lose when you try to sell your (US) car over here. You will have to almost give it away or sell it for scrap.

Bite the bullet - sell the US car and buy a replacement when you get here.
The point is employer will pay the shipping both ways. so I will never sell the car in UK. I will bring it back in USA after 3-5 years.
Yes I have to register the car in UK and the car need to be UK standard, google tells that the headlights and signals lights need to be replaced.
I also understand that the Driver would be on the other side. but it is what it is.

selling in usa, then buying in UK and then sell in UK again and then buy here in USA again, is probably loosing more than if I just import POV and then export back upon assignment completion.

I can live with no navigation, but deal breaker is the charging capability.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
i mean you can do what you want, obviously.
but this just does not make sense. you will not be able to use superchargers in Europe (including UK) without conversion to CCS2. You will have to convert it back to NACS in USA. what's the point then?!

this, financially, makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Maybe, if you boss wanted to contribute for the shipping & taxation, ask to provide you the money he wanted to spend for shipping in cash and use it as deposit for a lease vehicle in UK.. you can take car literally next day after putting in deposit (although not sure how about credit score with lease company.

all in all - believe us, it makes no sense to ship USA car to UK and then back in 3 or 5 years. madness

Last edited:
I looked into this question last week when it came up in another thread. I was not able to find a solution. The problem is a completely different charge port standard between north America and Europe. Here we have ChAdeMo (Toyota, disappearing), J1772 (standard 120v ac plug), CCS1 and NACS (Tesla connector). In Europe, it's mostly CCS2 (Tesla, most EV's), a bit of CHAdeMO and an older ac standard known as the Menneke or Type 2.

In the US we have multiple adapters to deal with the Tesla connector (NACS), so we have CCS1 to NACS and NACS to CCS1. We have J1772 to NACS. (J1772 should plug directly into the ac port of a CCS1 connector without an adapter.)

In Europe, you need a CC2 to NACS adapter, but I don't think one exists. The Menneke connector port looks to be different from the J1772 port, so that won't work, and again not sure there is anyone making an adapter for it. You have to figure that there have been very few US Teslas brought to Europe, so there is no industry to support that transition.

I would be looking into having the NACS port on the car swapped to a CCS2 port, if such a conversion exists.

That alone would be expensive if you could persuade Tesla to do it.. they're more likely to just say 'not supported' and walk away. It's not just hardware it's software so only Tesla could do it.

Yes the lack of type 2 would mean you couldn't charge it at home. Importing a charger from the US wouldn't work with our power standards and be unlikely to meet local regulations even if you could persuade it to work somehow.

The other question to ask is about parts in case of an accident, although they look the same but does the same panel has the same PN across the globe? Based on the track record and experience on Tesla body repairs, very often the wrong parts (and they have it down to the rivet level), wrong sides are sent and someone has mentioned this may not be totally human errors, but due to the complex and often changing part numbers/revisions in Tesla system, when they enter the VIN number and then the PN, it may say incompatible and has to order the right PN for your VIN and this leads to delay even though the wrong part probably fits..

I don't know whether this will be an issue with TCC in UK to fix US spec car, the worst thing is if you have an accident and it takes significantly longer to repair or have to get the parts from US if it is even possible and if their system does not take US VINs, then you may end up with a paper weight

Last edited:
Don’t know whether a non tethered NACS cable from US would work for home AC charging if they can fit the other end to the charger - do they come us NACS to NACS or various combinations including type 2 to NACS.
If there was, you'd need a step down transformer. I doubt US cars would be happy with 240v (assuming the 50hz wouldn't be an issue since it's converting to DC anyway).