Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A $1000 increase November 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, the standard deduction for 2021 filling jointly is $25,100, not $18,800
A family of 2 with 2 kids will pay $7500 in federal taxes if their adjusted income is $65,800 + $25,800 + $3000*2 (kids over 5) = $97,600
However, if you are single with no kids, then you need to have the annual income of $53,400 (adj) + $12,550 =$65,950
I did the math with 2020 $24,800. But failed to change the earlier writing of $18,800. In any case, someone making near 6 figures has quite a bit more disposable income than someone making $70k.

And beyond that, no matter the income level, you have no business telling anyone else what they can or can’t afford, or what they should or should not buy with their own money. These cars are accessible to more people than ever.

I did the math with 2020 $24,800. But failed to change the earlier writing of $18,800. In any case, someone making near 6 figures has quite a bit more disposable income than someone making $70k.

And beyond that, no matter the income level, you have no business telling anyone else what they can or can’t afford, or what they should or should not buy with their own money. These cars are accessible to more people than ever.
Totally agree it’s no one’s position to tell others what to buy or not. On the flip side, I do not feel sorry either for those who do not get the full nonrefundable credit. It is simply their own informed decision to make as an adult.

Reactions: alexgr
My understanding is that the proposed tax credit is intended for point-of-sale price adjustment. This means that all Models 3 and Y in the new year may be officially priced 8k lower including the tax credit. If Tesla keep 49,990 price and then apply 8,000 tax credit, then at 41,990 the demand may cross into unhealthy territory frankly. So they are now at 57,990 which will be 49,990 after they apply the tax credit. It is reasonable to expect that MANY people who ordered at 53,990 and 54,990 and who have delivery date in 2021 will delay until 2022 to get the car at 45,990 or 46,990 final price. If Tesla offer them to buy the cars at 49,990 now, they may take delivery now keeping sales moving.
I don't believe Telsa will sell for 49,990. Tax rebate benefits customer, why would Tesla need to lower it MSRP to sell car And lose 8,000? If anything, Tesla can and will continue to raise price on Model Y, and it won't be long before we see it at 59,990 or over 60k. With rebate, it's still a good deal to customer for paying 52/53k for a Model Y. Regarding earlier reservation, Tesla only allows 1 delay of delivery. Once you give that up, you are put all the way back in line. So customer will need to weight 8000 vs wait 7-8 months again, on top of already wait x months prior. Sure some will delay, but i think a lot will just take the delivery and be done with. Many of us who placed earlier did not expect to have rebate anyway.

Totally agree it’s no one’s position to tell others what to buy or not. On the flip side, I do not feel sorry either for those who do not get the full nonrefundable credit. It is simply their own informed decision to make as an adult.
My point totally. However, it is in our interest though that people with no adequate sustainable income are not given unlimited credit that will be resold to our retirement funds only to blow a bubble a few years later.

I don't believe Telsa will sell for 49,990. Tax rebate benefits customer, why would Tesla need to lower it MSRP to sell car And lose 8,000? If anything, Tesla can and will continue to raise price on Model Y, and it won't be long before we see it at 59,990 or over 60k. With rebate, it's still a good deal to customer for paying 52/53k for a Model Y. Regarding earlier reservation, Tesla only allows 1 delay of delivery. Once you give that up, you are put all the way back in line. So customer will need to weight 8000 vs wait 7-8 months again, on top of already wait x months prior. Sure some will delay, but i think a lot will just take the delivery and be done with. Many of us who placed earlier did not expect to have rebate anyway.
Maybe you are right and Tesla will accumulate Q4 cars in the parking lots, completely miss on Q4 US deliveries, but will have a blockbuster 22Q1 instead.

They should have written in a clause that freezes prices for a certain period of time. The point of a $7,500 - $12,500 point-of-sale credit is to make the cars more enticing to purchase. If the manufacturers just raise their prices to compensate for the point of sale credit, the car is the same price as it was before for the consumer.
It also seems the manufacturers are double dipping if they raise the prices. Since I'm assuming they're are being reimbursed by the government for each EV they sell and now get the additional profit by raising the price. It's not like they would have to absorb the point-of-sale credit if it's approved.

Maybe you are right and Tesla will accumulate Q4 cars in the parking lots, completely miss on Q4 US deliveries, but will have a blockbuster 22Q1 instead.
Tesla is selling everything it can make. Why or how would they accumulate any cars? What would be the reason? Look at used car market. People are paying 10k over MSRP for an used Tesla with thousands of miles. For every one who is delaying delivery, there are at least 5 who would prefer taking the car now. Also you are assuming tax credit will pass. What if you delay delivery, get back to wait another 7-8 month and end up with no rebate anyway? Lots of factors but I’m not seeing how your logic plays out.

... like those houses accessible to more people in 2008. I am sorry but I have an immediate interest to tell everyone who has no real money how to spend my money on things they can't afford.

I have no problem with an outrage regarding access to the tax credit of those people who somehow inherited money or decided to sell estate and spend money on a new Tesla while showing little income. The number of such people is not expected to be big and they are not important in the grand scheme of electrification of the vehicles fleet in the US.

... like those houses accessible to more people in 2008. I am sorry but I have an immediate interest to tell everyone who has no real money how to spend my money on things they can't afford.

I have no problem with an outrage regarding access to the tax credit of those people who somehow inherited money or decided to sell estate and spend money on a new Tesla while showing little income. The number of such people is not expected to be big and they are not important in the grand scheme of electrification of the vehicles fleet in the US.
Don’t see how that’s any of your business. People can spend money as they please. Why does that bother you in anyway?

Tesla just increased the price $1,000, so $57,990 for long range and $62,990 for performance. It also changed for inventory cars. I feel fortunate I ordered an inventory car last week. Pick it up Saturday.
I’m still waiting for my MY with induction, white leather and black paint…I believe those were all extra cost but my price is $54,490. Would my build be closer to $60k now?!?!

Reactions: jevans3

Are you a bank? Are you personally lending money to make bad loans? No?

Then you have no interest in other people’s financial business. They are free to spend however they want.

Nobody’s retirement accounts are going belly up because people are buying Teslas.

I don't think it will need to be offset by taxes either. However, high income will phase out the benefit.

Modest income, some breaks, living at poverty level while saving money - what good is that saved/earned money unless you eventually spend it on something fun (and electric)! It was a painful decision (higher taxes, auto insurance) but glad I made it.

After 30+years, I retired the old Honda wagon and gave it some nice, antique plates. While there are things I miss dearly (great turning radius, super visibility, room to load a washing machine or dryer), I love my MY.

I hope many people can manage to get electric cars. If not new this go-round, used once available. I remember some talk of extending a tax break to used electric cars. The more, the better.

Everyone's circumstance is different. Tesla with the M3 and MY put them in reach for those interested and who can manage it.

Reactions: alexgr
I make 160k a year and my wife still thinks we can’t afford our MYLR 🤣🤣
We will need a car in 2-3 years (and I am waiting for the CT) unless I want to spend $7-9k on our gas guzzler maintenance. So I did a cost comparison analysis of getting the Model Y next year vs keeping our old 16-mpg SUV (requiring some maintenance next year) for one more year. My wife works in finance/accounting management and the money argument has convinced her to order the Model Y.

Reactions: voxel and MY-user
They should have written in a clause that freezes prices for a certain period of time. The point of a $7,500 - $12,500 point-of-sale credit is to make the cars more enticing to purchase. If the manufacturers just raise their prices to compensate for the point of sale credit, the car is the same price as it was before for the consumer.
It also seems the manufacturers are double dipping if they raise the prices. Since I'm assuming they're are being reimbursed by the government for each EV they sell and now get the additional profit by raising the price. It's not like they would have to absorb the point-of-sale credit if it's approved.
The did write in a clause for this. It’s called a price limit. Tesla can only do this so much before the cars will be ineligible. What they are doing is smart. They are effectively capturing the credits for themselves through these price increases.