Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A $1000 increase November 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The did write in a clause for this. It’s called a price limit. Tesla can only do this so much before the cars will be ineligible. What they are doing is smart. They are effectively capturing the credits for themselves through these price increases.
They should have done a better job at preventing price increases seeing as there is no EV SUV currently anywhere close to $80k. Not counting the X as it’s over.
The Rivian is the only one on the horizon that the $80k threshold was probably added for.
By letting the manufacturers double dip, it eliminates the usefulness of this bill as it just pads the manufacturers wallets and doesn’t help consumers at all.

They should have done a better job at preventing price increases seeing as there is no EV SUV currently anywhere close to $80k. Not counting the X as it’s over.
The Rivian is the only one on the horizon that the $80k threshold was probably added for.
By letting the manufacturers double dip, it eliminates the usefulness of this bill as it just pads the manufacturers wallets and doesn’t help consumers at all.
The goal wasn't to help consumers. The goal was to stimulate EV cars development and adoption. This works in part as lower prices for consumers and higher profit for manufacturers. How much goes to each is up to the manufacturers.

Reactions: cusetownusa
My understanding is that the proposed tax credit is intended for point-of-sale price adjustment. This means that all Models 3 and Y in the new year may be officially priced 8k lower including the tax credit. If Tesla keep 49,990 price and then apply 8,000 tax credit, then at 41,990 the demand may cross into unhealthy territory frankly. So they are now at 57,990 which will be 49,990 after they apply the tax credit. It is reasonable to expect that MANY people who ordered at 53,990 and 54,990 and who have delivery date in 2021 will delay until 2022 to get the car at 45,990 or 46,990 final price. If Tesla offer them to buy the cars at 49,990 now, they may take delivery now keeping sales moving.
The latest changes to the EV bill make some changes to when you can take the credit at point of sale.

Assuming the latest changes aren’t further modified by the senate…

For cars purchased in 2022, you get the credit when you file your 2022 taxes.

For cars purchased in 2023 and after, it will be point of sale.

when I picked up my model y LR in late oct 2021 they honored my $48,990 since I had it on hold for over a year (pandemic reasons and didn't need a second vehicle yet for work so made sense).

I feel like no one is going to pickup their vehicle within the next two months to be eligible for the tax credit next year.

Reactions: alexgr
I feel like no one is going to pickup their vehicle within the next two months to be eligible for the tax credit next year.
Demand is too high and some folks are paying crazy high gas prices or need a car ASAP. I’m seeing MYLR sold off inventory in seconds. Other EVs like Mach-E are still selling with $10K markups over MSRP so missing out on the tax credit is similar.

Demand is too high and some folks are paying crazy high gas prices or need a car ASAP. I’m seeing MYLR sold off inventory in seconds. Other EVs like Mach-E are still selling with $10K markups over MSRP so missing out on the tax credit is similar.
I do agree with that thought process, there is a lot of demand and gas prices are only going up.

Really thought things wouldn't get this absurd, but I guess we now live in a parallel reality, fueled by public "panic epidemic" that is way out of control due to over-hyped concerns. Cars are the new toilet paper. My desire to order a 2nd MY are gone, and I won't entertain it again until 18-24 months from now, or until this absurdity ends, or maybe never. Thoroughly disappointed that Tesla has become just another sleazy "market adjustment" car dealer...but at a national scale. The facade of being in it for "sustainable energy" is a laughable, and Elon's concern about Tesla being "too expansive" is hollow.

when I picked up my model y LR in late oct 2021 they honored my $48,990 since I had it on hold for over a year (pandemic reasons and didn't need a second vehicle yet for work so made sense).

Lucky you! Considering the recent price hikes, picking up the car this year maybe a good idea for those who have already extended the delivery date at least once. Also, (1) more Teslas for Canada and Europe in the next two month, and (2) I suspect Tesla may stop Fremont MY lines to homogenize the model between Fremont and Texas (front cast, 4680, new lights, you know).

Really thought things wouldn't get this absurd, but I guess we now live in a parallel reality, fueled by public "panic epidemic" that is way out of control due to over-hyped concerns. Cars are the new toilet paper. My desire to order a 2nd MY are gone, and I won't entertain it again until 18-24 months from now, or until this absurdity ends, or maybe never. Thoroughly disappointed that Tesla has become just another sleazy "market adjustment" car dealer...but at a national scale. The facade of being in it for "sustainable energy" is a laughable, and Elon's concern about Tesla being "too expansive" is hollow.

I agree you should wait if you don't think it is worth it at this price. That's the whole point of the price increases...to temper demand. But I disagree with your conclusion/opinion. Its all about supply and demand with the price increases. The prices will come down again once supply matches more closely with demand.

Even with the price increases there are still VERY long waits. If they kept the price at $49K, a price that you would be willing to buy for, you would have to wait years before you would get it as the demand would skyrocket. Then you would have people complaining that it takes too long to get a car. Not to mention you would create a whole secondary market of people just putting in orders and buying $49K Model Ys so that they can sell immediately after for $60k, creating even longer wait times. The wait for a car would be insane if they didn't raise prices. Also, don't forget that the Rebate, if passes, would take $8,000 off making a model Y cost $41K in that scenerio. Which again would push order to delivery dates even further back.

I guess I don't get why people complain about this...if it is more than you are willing to spend then just buy something else. Why get so angry about it.

Reactions: mrmtb
I agree you should wait if you don't think it is worth it at this price. That's the whole point of the price increases...to temper demand. But I disagree with your conclusion/opinion. Its all about supply and demand with the price increases. The prices will come down again once supply matches more closely with demand.

Even with the price increases there are still VERY long waits. If they kept the price at $49K, a price that you would be willing to buy for, you would have to wait years before you would get it as the demand would skyrocket. Then you would have people complaining that it takes too long to get a car. Not to mention you would create a whole secondary market of people just putting in orders and buying $49K Model Ys so that they can sell immediately after for $60k, creating even longer wait times. The wait for a car would be insane if they didn't raise prices. Also, don't forget that the Rebate, if passes, would take $8,000 off making a model Y cost $41K in that scenerio. Which again would push order to delivery dates even further back.

I guess I don't get why people complain about this...if it is more than you are willing to spend then just buy something else. Why get so angry about it.
I think people just need to adjust their thinking of Tesla as a company. They are no longer that small start up company that cares about their customers. As they grew, their original Mission and commitment to their customers changed.

This is still on the Tesla Mission page.
"Tesla continues to make products accessible and affordable to more and more people, ultimately accelerating the advent of clean transport and clean energy production."

I understand that inflation is real at this time, but anyone who is not lost in Elon's salesman tactics understands the recent Tesla price changes are based on profit, not inflation. Jacking up prices is just business, can't fault them for that. But everyone just needs to understand that Tesla right now is about profits and Elon's ego, not about making EVs affordable to the masses anymore. If that were still true, Tesla wouldn't be changing their prices to match the upcoming EV incentives.
Putting things in to perspective, yes Tesla has metamorphized in to just another sleazy car manufacturer. In the end though, it's up to the consumers to decide what they want to buy and what they don't. Until there's more competition, Tesla has no reason to change.

I think people just need to adjust their thinking of Tesla as a company. They are no longer that small start up company that cares about their customers. As they grew, their original Mission and commitment to their customers changed.

This is still on the Tesla Mission page.
"Tesla continues to make products accessible and affordable to more and more people, ultimately accelerating the advent of clean transport and clean energy production."

I understand that inflation is real at this time, but anyone who is not lost in Elon's salesman tactics understands the recent Tesla price changes are based on profit, not inflation. Jacking up prices is just business, can't fault them for that. But everyone just needs to understand that Tesla right now is about profits and Elon's ego, not about making EVs affordable to the masses anymore. If that were still true, Tesla wouldn't be changing their prices to match the upcoming EV incentives.
Putting things in to perspective, yes Tesla has metamorphized in to just another sleazy car manufacturer. In the end though, it's up to the consumers to decide what they want to buy and what they don't. Until there's more competition, Tesla has no reason to change.
Costs for everything are going up. Metals (steel prices are stupid right now), silicon, tires, shipping, wages.

Some of it has been negated by older purchase agreements, but as time goes on, those increases are getting felt more and more. I don’t think they are raising prices “because they can”, but also because they have to. They have a shareholder duty to stay profitable.

Prices for all the stuff that is used to make cars and move them around are getting ridiculously expensive. So don’t be too stunned to see it happen to Tesla vehicles. It is happening in almost every industry.

Reactions: PNWLeccy