Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner - How

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if asked before, but still learning what can and can't be done.
Ie no app store for Tesla but people say use ABRP.
How?
On Phone?
On the web browser?
How does the browser know what the car is doing?

Planning my first long trip and superchargers will be required.

Thanks in advance

Ian

You can customise ABRP with your cars average consumption(found on the touch screen by swiping the 3 dots, bottom right) OR if you pay for the subs version it will read your cars stats, weather and temp etc and use those to fine tune the calculation. Some people don't like the idea of linking a third party app to the API of their car while others are ok with it. Just depends on how accurate you want it to be.

You can use ABRP on the cars web browser or an app. It will carry over the settings from either.

Apologies if asked before, but still learning what can and can't be done.
Ie no app store for Tesla but people say use ABRP.
How?
On Phone?
On the web browser?
How does the browser know what the car is doing?

Planning my first long trip and superchargers will be required.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Put destination in the car nav. It will tell you when and where to Supercharge.

ABRP has more options but not absolutely necessary. If you sign up it can link to the car (subscription required). You can use web on car or on phone.

Reactions: Alistairuk
abetterrouteplanner.com is pretty intuitive to use. You can enter all sorts of useful variables which make a BIG difference to your energy consumption eg headwind, temperature, weather and extra load to make the estimates more accurate.
It gives you an idea of where to charge but I think the charging times quoted are a tad optimistic.
Nevertheless I am in the habit of routinely checking out what ABRP says before heading off on a long trip or if I'm doing an awayaday into the depths of Hereford and Worcestershire with fewer charging options.

Put destination in the car nav. It will tell you when and where to Supercharge.

ABRP has more options but not absolutely necessary. If you sign up it can link to the car (subscription required). You can use web on car or on phone.

Agree - by all means check out ABRP on the web before you set off so you have a rough idea of what charges you'll need (especially if you want to arrive at destination with a specific charge level), but I would just trust the Tesla car navigation - stick in your destination and the car will automatically select optimum superchargers for you and tell you when you can proceed from each... It will also tell you what % battery you should have when you arrive at final destination. If you want more, just charge longer at the last stop :)

so you have a rough idea of what charges you'll need (especially if you want to arrive at destination with a specific charge level),

If that and waypoints (with arrival charge levels) were sorted in Tesla nav I don't think ABRP would be anywhere near as useful. It is useful to have a rough plan (and alternative) before getting in the car though.

On of the surprising things for me was that it would suggest really short stops early in the journey where human nature with ICE would be to run low on fuel before you brim fill tank. I don't recall paying for app but get car connection sufficient to see benefit. Bjorn did a comparison.

If that and waypoints (with arrival charge levels) were sorted in Tesla nav I don't think ABRP would be anywhere near as useful. It is useful to have a rough plan (and alternative) before getting in the car though.
Agreed - if the Tesla Nav allowed you to set a charge level you want to arrive at - i'd be more than happy with that :)

OR if you pay for the subs version it will read your cars stats, weather and temp etc and use those to fine tune the calculation. Some people don't like the idea of linking a third party app to the API of their car while others are ok with it. Just depends on how accurate you want it to be.
I've got the paid version linked via Teslalogger which also allows ABRP to give you maps of your past drives, journey times etc. with Teslalogger giving energy consumption, max. speed, max bhp per drive etc.

ABRP allows you to set lunch breaks, use third party chargers, and calculates range set on more variables than the in car tesla nav. If you have pro it'll even take weather into account. I tend to use ABRP to plan and then just enter the waypoints as destinations in Tesla nav