Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner vs Tesla route planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLEASE don't use the Tesla website. It is not for trip planning. The car's computer is way more accurate.

However the car's computer is also not very efficient with the charging times on long trips. It stays at chargers for too long. You should be stopping more often and charging for shorter times.
I would trust ABRP for planning your whole trip then use the car's computer to plot to each individual supercharger stop.

I've noticed this with the Model X. The in car trip plan often had me at close to 20% at the next Supercharger. It was really inefficient compared to a shorter charge.

The weird thing is that it would estimate 5% for the next Supercharger, but it would jump by ~5% when I unplugged. Then it would gain another 7% or so on the estimate while driving.

The Y seems to estimate arrival percentages more accurately.

I have been testing ABRP out a bit lately and can only really look at it as an estimate. In fact, I don't really trust it. It's been off by about 20% for most of my trips.

Part of the issue is that it doesn't account for the colder temps unless you pay for the premium sub or manually enter it. Second, it doesn't account for higher speeds.

That being said, I think its the best thing going for estimation but I don't really trust it. What are others experiences here?

I have been testing ABRP out a bit lately and can only really look at it as an estimate. In fact, I don't really trust it. It's been off by about 20% for most of my trips.

Part of the issue is that it doesn't account for the colder temps unless you pay for the premium sub or manually enter it. Second, it doesn't account for higher speeds.

That being said, I think its the best thing going for estimation but I don't really trust it. What are others experiences here?

As the saying goes: Garbage in, garbage out. If it's off 20% for you, it's because you aren't entering all necessary values. We've used ABRP for years and it is nearly always spot-on for us. We do take a few seconds to enter in the speed and temperature manually but that's how we get accurate results.

As the saying goes: Garbage in, garbage out. If it's off 20% for you, it's because you aren't entering all necessary values. We've used ABRP for years and it is nearly always spot-on for us. We do take a few seconds to enter in the speed and temperature manually but that's how we get accurate results.
that's my experience too.
If you enter that you're only carrying 100lb of addition weight instead of the actual 400lbs of people and luggage or that you max at 70 but actually cruise at 80 - then be prepared for inaccurate estimations.
With realistic data I have found ABRP to be pretty good.
Much better than the stunted in car nav.
I'm amazed that Elon seems to put so much faith in the in car nav - his insistence that nobody needs waypoints seems to have been a real blindspot for him to understand how people want to use their cars. It took a few years of incessant badgering but he finally got there.

Make sure to turn on detailed configuration and enter accurate estimates of your speeding tendencies. You can also manually enter temperature, if you want to be that detailed.

If you are doing all of that and it is still off, you may want to look for inefficiencies in the car. Maybe your consumption is higher than normal?

Make sure to turn on detailed configuration and enter accurate estimates of your speeding tendencies. You can also manually enter temperature, if you want to be that detailed.

If you are doing all of that and it is still off, you may want to look for inefficiencies in the car. Maybe your consumption is higher than normal?
Actually it is pretty sad that the "smartest" car out there is so bad at this. I have a 2014 Corvette that has NO problem accurately estimating my range - constantly adjusting based on my driving. And when I fill it up the range is based on my actual "history".

Fair enough. Like I said, it's pretty good but with cold weather being a huge hit to EV's, the temp is something that needs to be accounted for. I don't use ABRP enough to justify the premium membership and i'd be curious as to how it handles the realtime aspect.

Reactions: jsight
Fair enough. Like I said, it's pretty good but with cold weather being a huge hit to EV's, the temp is something that needs to be accounted for. I don't use ABRP enough to justify the premium membership and i'd be curious as to how it handles the realtime aspect.
As others have noted, you may be misunderstanding your options. You don't need a "premium" sub to ABRP to get it to give you accurate results.

Register for free, and login with your Tesla credentials so it can get the api data from the car. Lots of settings will be taken from the car. In the graphic below, the blue car icons with the wifi logo:
IMG_9610.jpeg

As you can see, it'll take your actual SOC, and it can calibrate your vehicle's actual efficiency, and it'll take the temp from your car.

Last edited:
Newbie question ...
Picked up my M3 yesterday, with full navigation for the next 30 days, and downloaded the Tesla app ....as I am having my coffee and watching the news, I’d like to have the ability to route an upcoming road trip w/o going into the car. I’m sure I’m just missing it, but looked through the forums and can’t find reference to it.

Any one know if you can plan a trip via your Tesla app (like Waze) or do I have to be in the car using navigation?

Thanks in advance!
Waze can be used, no visual but audio via Bluetooth.

Also search an address, share, pick Tesla and it will pop up on your car's screen when you get in.

But, as everyone says, your car will prepare for a charge only if navigating to a SC. Waze for the trip, Tesla navigation for the charge

So, I'm planning a trip to Vermont from Massachusetts in 2021 MY AWD LR.
Trying to use ABRP but I cant seem to find planning for round trip range and consumption option. I can plan each direction but it would be helpful to do a round trip feature to see what I need to do as far as charging. Each leg is 148 miles. the weather is 40ish and there are mountains involved.
any help is appreciated

So, I'm planning a trip to Vermont from Massachusetts in 2021 MY AWD LR.
Trying to use ABRP but I cant seem to find planning for round trip range and consumption option. I can plan each direction but it would be helpful to do a round trip feature to see what I need to do as far as charging. Each leg is 148 miles. the weather is 40ish and there are mountains involved.
any help is appreciated
Just add your starting point as another waypoint. MA -> VT -> MA

Reactions: GtiMart
honestly you don't need ABRP up to Vermont including mountains.....148 miles in the 40's, you'll be fine. There are superchargers directly off 89 and 91, at the major towns. Just keep an eye on your range as you're driving, see how far the superchargers are from you on the GPS, and leave yourself some extra due to going up hill. On the way back, you'll do better rolling down hill. Piece of cake.

Reactions: Rocky_H