Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner - for Model X Too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Model X part-of-the-forum,

I just wanted to mention A Better Routeplanner (ABRP) - for Teslas both in the car browser and at home. There is a long thread in the Model S forum about it, but since it is not at all restricted to Model S I thought I'd let you guys know too.

Includes some nice features such as real-time car consumption follow-up while driving, beta navigation, a good and simple-to-configure consumption model, and just generally gives good plans (at least according to me). And it works exactly the same in the car as in your home browsers.

I just wanted to mention A Better Routeplanner (ABRP) - for Teslas both in the car browser and at home. There is a long thread in the Model S forum about it, but since it is not at all restricted to Model S I thought I'd let you guys know too.

Includes some nice features such as real-time car consumption follow-up while driving, beta navigation, a good and simple-to-configure consumption model, and just generally gives good plans (at least according to me). And it works exactly the same in the car as in your home browsers.
Thanks very much for this. I am wondering if setting for the "load" in the car would be helpful? When I take a trip, which requires planning my car will be fully loaded to the max weight allowed. Would the extra weight make a significant difference in mileage?

Thanks very much for this. I am wondering if setting for the "load" in the car would be helpful? When I take a trip, which requires planning my car will be fully loaded to the max weight allowed. Would the extra weight make a significant difference in mileage?

There are so many parameters which affect consumption - driving style is one of the more important. By looking at the Wh/mile statistics in your car you'll quickly learn how much you consume in your car, and I think that number is easier to handle than all the individual parameters (such as winds, temperature, road conditions, rims, tyres, load, ...).

Hype hype! I have been very impressed with ABP. I input some drives we've done where Tesla Navigation underestimated drain (mostly due to elevation change) and when I enter my normal long-trip Wh/mi average (375) it's accurately predicting where we indeed have to stop.

I have yet to try it in the car browser or with real time monitoring but blincoln, thank you for making it. Have you considered talking to Tesla about it?

There are so many parameters which affect consumption - driving style is one of the more important. By looking at the Wh/mile statistics in your car you'll quickly learn how much you consume in your car, and I think that number is easier to handle than all the individual parameters (such as winds, temperature, road conditions, rims, tyres, load, ...).

Idk. (Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but... ;) )I think would add a good amount of value to include load and, more importantly, exterior and cabin temps to the calculations, like EVtripplanner does. Temps can have a big impact, which can also be hard for the average joe to predict.

As for simply predicting Wh/mile... someone might be used to mostly driving around town by themselves in mild temperatures, but then need to plan for a long-distance trip at fast highway speeds in cold temps with 3 other adult passengers. It will be difficult to predict how all of those factors combined will affect one's typical driving efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and beths11
Thanks OP. I will say it was more accurate with just basic settings than evtripplanner was even with a lot of fiddling. I mapped my recent trip from Seattle to Seaside in both tools. Although evtripplanner was a little more accurate given temp settings and tweaking, I had to discover a lot of tweak settings for my X to make it accurate. ABRP got within a couple % of my actual experience with no tweaks needed.

I also mapped Seattle to Brinnon - ABRP took me on the ferry, EV took me around south sound. Again there may be a setting but ABRP seems a little more immediately intuitive.

Personally I find the in-car Nav to be highly accurate, but it's great to have a secondary source for planning and "gut checking" the Tesla nav.

Expecting my X in a few weeks, so can't say anything about accuracy. But will definitely use it when traveling from the Netherlands to Finland! Looks great!

Is it possible for you to keep supercharging and urban charger apart as it's different power or will this be calculated as the same?
ABRP will optimize the total trip time given the charging characteristics of the car and each charger. If using an urban charger is fastest, it will be used.

However, so far the max power of the urban chargers is not correct in the ABRP database. Will be fixed soon.

I’ve used ABP now on trips to Vermont, Ohio and Southern VA, over 2k miles in total.

Love it for planning on my pc/mac! It’s fantastic for multileg trips, especially when I’ve wanted to take a specific road for scenery etc. Blows everything else out there away.

However, using it in the car browser is absolutely terrible. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s 56k modem slow, and I can’t find anyway in the browser to collapse the graph.

I end up planning my route, saving it to my calendar to access in the car. I will then route the Tesla nav to each intermediate stop and I can track my arrival % against the ABP plan. So far so good!

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I’ve used ABP now on trips to Vermont, Ohio and Southern VA, over 2k miles in total.

Love it for planning on my pc/mac! It’s fantastic for multileg trips, especially when I’ve wanted to take a specific road for scenery etc. Blows everything else out there away.

However, using it in the car browser is absolutely terrible. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s 56k modem slow, and I can’t find anyway in the browser to collapse the graph.

I end up planning my route, saving it to my calendar to access in the car. I will then route the Tesla nav to each intermediate stop and I can track my arrival % against the ABP plan. So far so good!

Yeah, sorry, the Tesla browser does not make ABRP a nice experience. However, it is quite OK in "view only" mode (since the screen sits there all the time anyway), which is why you should do as you propose above or create an ABRP account and log in on both your computer and in the car to automatically synchronize your plans and settings. Then just press "Plan" in the car.

• Helpful
Yeah, sorry, the Tesla browser does not make ABRP a nice experience. However, it is quite OK in "view only" mode (since the screen sits there all the time anyway), which is why you should do as you propose above or create an ABRP account and log in on both your computer and in the car to automatically synchronize your plans and settings. Then just press "Plan" in the car.

I've actually had an account, but just figured the saved plans out this last weekend! Works much better than the calendar trick. For some reason, the first time I tried to access my saved plans previously they never seemed to show up, but this last trip it was flawless.

Is there a way to close the "graph" that seems to hover directly in the middle of my browser when its in half screen mode? I havent' found anyway to close it, it will cycle between two different views, but always seems to be in the way.

I've actually had an account, but just figured the saved plans out this last weekend! Works much better than the calendar trick. For some reason, the first time I tried to access my saved plans previously they never seemed to show up, but this last trip it was flawless.

Is there a way to close the "graph" that seems to hover directly in the middle of my browser when its in half screen mode? I havent' found anyway to close it, it will cycle between two different views, but always seems to be in the way.

OK, boring job to fix, but I see your point. Now it is closable.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and pdx3181
On a recent trip to Ohio and back, I found ABRP to be very accurate. I’ve also used it to plan several future drives, giving me an idea of what to expect in terms of a winter road trip (manually adjusting the consumption based on reports here on TMC). Thanks blincoln!

Thanks for the tip on this webpage. Awesome planner. I like the various options that are there already, but of course, one can always ask for improvements. I like that it has the "long stop" option, but its long stop seems to want to charge to 100%. Perhaps have an option to put in the time you want to stop or maybe set the goal percent for that stop rather than 100%? I can see wanting to stop for lunch for 45 minutes, but not the "1:07" to get a full charge. I would probably never stop for 5 or 10 minutes either -- probably a minimum of 15. Perhaps have a minimum stop time -- let it charge up while stopped. One thing that seems to be in error about all these routers is they are always about the car -- getting to some next charger or destination with some goal level -- which has its advantages for some road warriors. I want a router that's more about the way I drive and need bio breaks. I'll drive a couple hours, take 15-20 minute break, drive another couple hours, take a lunch break for 45 minutes or so, then another 2 hours, a 15 minute break, 2 hours, dinner break, and then a couple more hours to my daily destination. Now I realize superchargers aren't ubiquitous, so stops are fairly defined -- I'd just like the ability to adjust the stop time and let the charge adjust to my desired stop time.

Folks, this is a fantastic app and you should give it a spin if you haven’t already. I used it last August to plan a 5K mile trip and it worked flawlessly. Planned the whole trip on my Mac right down to where we would be spending the nights. @blincoln has done a great job in the apps execution and support. We planned our trip on the Mac and then were able to access the entire plan via the car MCU and via our phones. What’s not to ❤️.

Reactions: Cowby and Big Earl