Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discovered this thread today. Great stuff @blincoln. Love it. The alternate routes is great too. Here's hoping the suspected/hoped* 8.1 FW browser update makes this snappier in car :)

Is it possible to keep, maybe as a premium service if necessary, the google estimated speed vs just max speed limit? The delta between the two is significant in some cases (repro: compare Wigan, U.K. -> Leamington Spa, U.K. between beta and production sites).
Building upon this, perhaps having an estimated arrival time which could then use Google's estimate time of day for congestion considerations?

Keep up the great work. Just donating right now to hopefully help with costs.

Thanks, Mike

Thanks for good proposals @MikeBur and @sdorn about extended routing options. I have just added "Avoid ferries" in the beta, but that does not help too much in the US :) Other routing preferences are however technically hard to implement as most of the routes are pre-cached to maintain planning speed, and the routing backend is also kind of static. I will keep it in my future features list, though!

. I am currently working on adding chargers of your choice as waypoints so that you can refine the route as you wish.

Sounds perfect - Hopefully your WishList is not growing faster than your DoneList?!

I think moving the Chargers to become Waypoints would be ideal. That would allow removing one of them, or adding another in (somehow?) to try different routes. I suppose that would be just like the waypoints - i.e. I could select kWh or hh:mm at the charger. Perhaps things would go Orange / Red if I don't have enough SoC to get to the next charger / complete my journey.

There's an interesting different on a route that I drive where I prefer to stop at a charger on the way there, and the same one on the way back. That is the route that ABRP selects which gives me 150 miles charger-waypoint-charger. (However, with current version, if I set Long Break I get that on both Out and Return legs, so the change to Waypoints would fix that too)

EVTP chooses, instead, to take me to a charger past the destination, which adds 30 miles to the trip but only requires a single charge. "Feels wrong" to me, as the driver! and its a 1h22m charging stop - but I could have a meal and get stuff done of course. Stopping on the way there, and back only adds 5 miles (to get to the charger, and back onto highway - twice) and total charging time is split 50:50 and overall 12m shorter - nice to be able to try-this and try-that though.

I'd love Drag and Drop on the From / Via / To choices too . the move-arrows are a bit clunky. Don't get me wrong, it all works just lovely :)

Question: Reconciling ABRP with on-board route planner. I'm about to take my first long road trip in my S60. (Florida to Connecticut). I've planned the whole route on ABRP, with stops at hotels with chargers, etc. Here's my question. Do I essentially ignore the on-board route planner recommendations about how much to charge at each SC and follow the ABRP reccos? I'm trying to figure out, when I'm actually on the trip, when to stop and for how long. Thanks.

Question: Reconciling ABRP with on-board route planner. I'm about to take my first long road trip in my S60. (Florida to Connecticut). I've planned the whole route on ABRP, with stops at hotels with chargers, etc. Here's my question. Do I essentially ignore the on-board route planner recommendations about how much to charge at each SC and follow the ABRP reccos? I'm trying to figure out, when I'm actually on the trip, when to stop and for how long. Thanks.

That's the way I'm using it (ingnoring built in), though you should always err on the conservative side until you understand, and tune, the multiplier factor to suit your driving style. Also, I don't believe ABRP considers predicted weather conditions.
I'm still a few days of use in though, so ymmv

Thanks for good proposals @MikeBur and @sdorn about extended routing options. I have just added "Avoid ferries" in the beta, but that does not help too much in the US :) Other routing preferences are however technically hard to implement as most of the routes are pre-cached to maintain planning speed, and the routing backend is also kind of static. I will keep it in my future features list, though!
Definitely would likely the google estimator back if possible. Feeling that i can't trust timings, though with slower traffic I can get better than predicted range ;-)

I had another idea, and feel free to ignore, though my dream would be to have this integrate with Waze visualizations - perhaps "just" partner up with the Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic folk? Sorry can't find their names immediately. That way I can just keep using one in car and have more "situational awareness" :)

Again, thanks for this. It's great!

Definitely would likely the google estimator back if possible. Feeling that i can't trust timings, though with slower traffic I can get better than predicted range ;-)

I had another idea, and feel free to ignore, though my dream would be to have this integrate with Waze visualizations - perhaps "just" partner up with the Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic folk? Sorry can't find their names immediately. That way I can just keep using one in car and have more "situational awareness" :)

Again, thanks for this. It's great!

My ultimate wish is to have a single app that combines:

- A Better Route Planner's route planning and charge monitoring during travel.
- Waze traffic-based routing and road hazard/accident/police indications.
- Winds and elevation status like Tesla-Waze and TeslaWinds.com.
- Auto-zoom out of the map when on freeways, and auto-zoom in when on surface streets, like the on-board nav does.
- Route planning that takes into account current and forecast winds (the just-released EV Trip Optimizer app for Tesla does this, but it's prediction overall is quite inaccurate).
- Integration with phone contact list like the on-board navigation does.
- Energy prediction graph like the on-board energy app does, i.e. predicted vs. actual (ABRP does this textually in the gray box at the bottom during route, but I'd like to see a graph).
- Ability to navigate away from ABRP during the drive and navigate back to it and have it pick up where it left off.

Right now I typically have ABRP in the browser and Waze on the phone while driving, but this is cumbersome.

Reactions: blincoln and sdorn
As a new Model S owner, I felt the need of a route planner for my Tesla which helped me plan my long trips using Superchargers. The in-car planner has its issues and many other sites did not fit my specific Tesla needs either.

So, I hacked up A Better Routeplanner (which was a lot of fun). It works both off-car in your computer and phone as well as in the car browser. It will even follow your car as you drive and follow-up the consumption.

Try it out and see if you find it useful.
Excellent work. But I'm confused in that a route of:

Jackson Hole, WY
Salt Lake City, UT
Oakland, CA

yields several red segments requiring slow driving, yet it is passing over perfectly good chargers along the way. Ideas?

I wasted my money with a donation. There is no way to delete undesired SC visits. If I leave 2207 Bancroft St, why does it require me to go out of my way to the North Houston SC?
2017-04-17 (1).png

I wasted my money with a donation. There is no way to delete undesired SC visits. If I leave 2207 Bancroft St, why does it require me to go out of my way to the North Houston SC? View attachment 223280
What happens if you click on a SuperCharger and then "Do not stop at this charger"? For me, it removes the supercharger visit.

Also, I'm sure your donation was not wasted. The developer @blincoln has created a great tool and is very responsive to feature suggestions and bug reports.

I wasted my money with a donation. There is no way to delete undesired SC visits. If I leave 2207 Bancroft St, why does it require me to go out of my way to the North Houston SC? View attachment 223280

Thanks for your donation - I'll happily refund it if you are not happy. Anyhow, I think @MorrisonHiker answered your question. And if you think the proposed route is strange, just let me know exactly your waypoints and some key settings and I will have a look at it!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Excellent work. But I'm confused in that a route of:

Jackson Hole, WY
Salt Lake City, UT
Oakland, CA

yields several red segments requiring slow driving, yet it is passing over perfectly good chargers along the way. Ideas?

Sorry for the slow answer - I am not able to recreate the problem with a Model S85, which gets a plan with stops at most Superchargers and no red segments. What model (and other settings) did you use?

Lots of great propsals! Graph is coming, elevation is already in the beta, Waze would be great, adding chargers as waypoints is out now in the beta.

Quoting my own post to let you know that the beta now contains a consumption and elevation graph, both as your drive at the bottom of the screen, but also when you click a specific point along the route. Let me know what you think!

upload_2017-4-18_16-42-40.png

Thanks for the offer to refund. Please don't refund. I was just frustrated at the time because the software wasn't functioning well. After I closed the browser and re-opened it the route was good. I am not sure why the route was corrupt before I closed the browser. Can you make it easier to clear ghost waypoints?

Reactions: scottf200