Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A bit freaked out - P90D vs 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
been thinking of these two cars recently. btw, ordered the p90d and did not look back.

maybe this graph helps. 911 is very stable, late in its lifecycle. a two year old car is indistinguishable from a new car. a tesla is early in its cycle and changing all the time as the maker learns. a two year old tesla is old-ish by now (no offense). both have huge front end year depreciation.

my view is lease or buy/upgrade a new tesla or buy a 2yr old 911.

0735_0001 copy.jpg

Since you are at clients all the time, I would imagine that some of them would love a ride in your car. You want to give them a memorable ride?

Forget the economics. The experience is what you are after.

Those people that are given a ride will tell all their friends about it. You will become famous. Good for business...get it!

So, I'm in need of a bit of reassurance....!

The 90D is going to be one helluva kick ass car. (Full disclosure - I went with the 90D.)

But if you are looking for reassurance, you might want to read this report comparing an 85D to a P85+
(spoiler alert... the 85D wins over what used to be Tesla's top of the line).

when I drove the P85D, I found myself giggling and grinning all the time from the extreme performance, but I often ended the day car sick. It does feel like it's trying to snap your neck. Here is my detailed comparison between the P85+ and the S85D:

85D vs. P85+

Last edited:
I recently took delivery on a P85D (my first and certainly not last Tesla/electric car). I would love to drive an 85D for a week or so and see if the P was all it's cracked up to be. Yes the car is blistering fast off the line, I just wonder if the power that is most useful - passing - is sufficiently better to warrant the price difference and the range loss. It probably is and having a P makes for a bad ass car experience.

My advice- buy the most car you can comfortably afford and don't look back. Also I would buy the car whenever you want to rather than waiting for some magical day when Tesla releases the next great thing. Just start enjoying it now and worry about the future in the future.

Since you are at clients all the time, I would imagine that some of them would love a ride in your car. You want to give them a memorable ride?

Forget the economics. The experience is what you are after.

Those people that are given a ride will tell all their friends about it. You will become famous. Good for business...get it!

Make sure to warn your clients if you give them the "launch experience" in a P90D. I know of a Tesla employee who filed a worker's comp claim because of a neck injury attributed to "launches." Most likely had head turned toward driver rather than forward and braced against the headrest.

my 2 cents:

go with your "gut."

it seems your gut was telling you 90D (maybe i read that wrong). while many on here are saying that you'd regret not going higher if you could, i don't think that's the default. there's a mature satisfaction in answering that you got the 90D instead of P90D because you didn't feel a need for slightly faster acceleration. there's a mature satisfaction in enjoying what you got and not simply splurging on something you might think is only slightly different/better. you also probably wouldn't feel the "sting" as bad when Tesla releases something better and you're no longer "top dog."

that said, i do agree that the P90D would likely "wow" clients a bit more, and that probably has decent value in your work (mostly guessing here, so i don't exactly know what you are doing with clients).

however, in that case, i'd go with the P90D (aka P90DL or P90D Ludicrous). if an extra $200/mo really doesn't matter to you, another $100 shouldn't either, so i would probably get the car that can burn almost every Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, etc. to 60 mph... and probably all of them to 30 mph. Life is short.

85D is a full second slower, to 60mph, than P85D. There's no reason to expect this gap goes away with 90kwh. A "second", down here, is a ton.

I haven't tried dual-drive with a smaller motor in back, and am curious. I know, coming from a rear engine rear drive car, that I would miss rear drive. As much I appreciate the agility of AWD, the thought that the "P" still at least keeps the rear bias of a larger motor, is something I want. So, I'd be trying them both, to see if I could tease out a difference. Equal bias steps closer to front wheel drive.

I am getting older, but still like to drive spirited - it is fun. That being said, I have used insane mode for a grand total of 30 minutes since I got my car on January 2 - just to show off with friends. That is ~0.009% of the time.

On the other hand, I have regretted throughout the winter those 20-30 miles extra range when doing 190-200 mile trips in Minnesota. Sometimes I felt pathetic having to drive 65 mph with temp set at 68 in my 125k car, and watch beat-up Honda Civic zipping past me...

Once you go beyond the pure thrill of going exceptionally fast (P90DL) vs. extraordinarily fast (P90D) vs. just very, very fast (90D), you have to think about the practicality of the car. Range is the biggest asset for now. Even if you have 6 mile commute to work (like I do), you will inevitably want to drive your car as much as you can, and that will expose you to the range limitations. After 7 months in my P85D my mind is set: I will turn in my lease early, and buy a 100D as soon as it is available.

Nishy1: I see you've already made your decision. I had the same decision to make a few weeks ago, though I was looking at P85D vs 85D.

Someone in my thread brought up the cost of tires. I didn't research this much, but allegedly you go through tires faster with the P version of the car (or perhaps you just would prefer high-performance tires on that version of the car, and they wear faster). Perhaps someone could comment and clarify here. But if you do, this adds more than just $200pm to the cost of the car. Insurance premiums could be significantly different as well, but probably still less than what you're paying on the 911.

I ended up getting the 85D. I just couldn't see the need to do launches... ever... well, except to entertain my friends, but it didn't seem like the right move financially, even though I can afford it.

I'm surprised by all the people making decisive recommendations in this thread. The choice is highly personal. :)

Final thought: you say you drive a lot? The max mileage allowance under Tesla's lease (financed through US Bank) is 15,000 per year. Can you stay under this? It's a pricey 25 cents/mile after this cap.

Sounds like you have decided, but I'd either go 90D or full P90DL. Will probably be expected to be present on resale and it does add pulling power in the 30-75 MPH range over non-ludicrous. I would either forget about the extra speed and get 90D or go all the way.

Drive them all if you can!

Reactions: RogerHScott