TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A/C problem? Rear vents blow warm/hot air

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nathanael, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Nathanael

Nathanael Member

When I turn the A/C on, cool air instantly comes out of the front vent(s), however, my poor dog suffers in the back because it blows hot air. Does it take longer for the rear a/c to kick in?

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

There's only one A/C unit, AFAIK, it just takes a little bit for the cool air to get from the front to the back. Same reason you have to let your shower run a little to get warm.

• Like x 1
  3. Nathanael

Nathanael Member

I figured, just seemed longer then usual. Ill have to remember to cool down the car before with the app

4. eli_

eli_ Member

I had a rear passenger complain it was blowing too cold almost as soon as we sat down.

5. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I believe you need to turn off recirculation to optimize ac in the back seats.

6. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

yeah if anything i find my rears to be blowing colder than my fronts.

Does anyone know if the rear vents automatically turn on if the rear seat weight sensor and/or seat belt being bucked activates the rear vents?

7. Ryengjoe

Ryengjoe Member

The rear vents turn on when a person is sitting in the back seat but they do not sense children in car seats and have to be manually turned on.

8. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

My rear vents are always on. I have a car seat carrier base installed in the center seat with a seat belt. That's why I asked. Seems like it does think someone is always sitting back there.

9. Ryengjoe

Ryengjoe Member

There is a weight sensor in each back seat to sense if someone is sitting to warn of unbuckled seatbelt and to turn on the AC. Maybe my car seat doesn't trigger it but yours does.

Gave multiple people first rides yesterday and can confirm that the rear ac does turn on by itself if someone is sitting back there. Also can confirm that the seatbelt warning doesn't go away if someone is unbuckled in the back.

10. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Perhaps buckling the rear seatbelts when your dog is in the back would trigger the AC to come on??? Just tossing around ideas.

11. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Yeah I think the base, as light as it is, does trigger it.

12. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

I found this out when I was driving home from the hardware store with bags of screws and bolts in the back seat. I had to stop and buckle the seatbelts to get the messages to go away. :)

13. Fusion

Fusion Member

Experienced this for the first time today. Interesting that even after 45min it was still blowing warm out the right rear vent but the left one was a tiny bit colder. The car isn't that big that it should take this long for the rear blower to start blowing cold.