Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Canadian perspective, and what options will you be getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't have any incentives in SK. It's not the price on which I'm reserving my right to cancel, but infrastructure. If there's no charging stations built nearer than they are now (none within driving distance), and/or any service centres nearer than they are now (nearest one is Vancouver over 1500km away), I'm canceling.
I'm optimistic that they will open an actual service center in Calgary by the time the 3 is out, and put us on the map for Superchargers. I suspect they'll do what they plan on doing in Winnipeg, that is connect Regina down south to the US Supercharger network. Time will tell.

Keep in mind you can get ranger service today in Saskatoon. Problem is it's $1,500 per visit even if it's a warranty related issue.

I'm optimistic that they will open an actual service center in Calgary by the time the 3 is out, and put us on the map for Superchargers. I suspect they'll do what they plan on doing in Winnipeg, that is connect Regina down south to the US Supercharger network. Time will tell.

Keep in mind you can get ranger service today in Saskatoon. Problem is it's $1,500 per visit even if it's a warranty related issue.
Maybe they'll put a service centre in Regina to service everyone from Winnipeg to Calgary. :p

... no cold weather package option needed in Vancouver, unlike my other Canadian brothers and sisters, living in the colder provinces, where this would be needed . :)..that would free up a few devalued Cdn dollars for more options!

You never turn on the heat in your car in Vancouver? As I said in another thread, Vancouver has a lot of moisture in the air so our cold is more bone chilling than similar temperatures in dryer climates. Heated seats are great for our climate since in really cold climates they take a long time to warm, and are not as effective. In warmer climates, they're not needed. In our climate, they're instant efficient heat.

The cold weather option is a "must have" option in my Model S since my kids constantly ask for their seats in the back to be turned on, and it saves a lot on the battery to turn on their seats rather than warm the entire cabin (which is too hot for me anyway).

Reactions: EcoHeliGuy and Jaff
You never turn on the heat in your car in Vancouver? As I said in another thread, Vancouver has a lot of moisture in the air so our cold is more bone chilling than similar temperatures in dryer climates. Heated seats are great for our climate since in really cold climates they take a long time to warm, and are not as effective. In warmer climates, they're not needed. In our climate, they're instant efficient heat.

The cold weather option is a "must have" option in my Model S since my kids constantly ask for their seats in the back to be turned on, and it saves a lot on the battery to turn on their seats rather than warm the entire cabin (which is too hot for me anyway).
I agree that managing warmth efficiently during winter is important for a Tesla which can see reduced range during short trips. Warming the battery pack and cabin can be significant drains. A simple approach is to warm the car up while it is still plugged into a charging circuit as there is no battery capacity lost and the car is warm when you open the doors. Windows are free of ice too. Heated seats or heated seat cushions provide warmth where it is needed and appreciated.

We use our cell phone app to start warming of the car while we are enjoying breakfast.

My comments were "tongue in cheek"...... of course I turn on the heat in Vancouver, just ribbing some of my Winnipeg friends. :)

Vancouver here. I think the Supercharging option is mandatory for me. Other than that, base model is fine. Autopilot is a maybe, very tempting considering where the technology might be in 2019-2020. I reserved recently so I'm near the end of the line. :)

I'm hoping for $50k CDN all-in. If the exchange rate improves, I think that's possible.

From a Canadian perspective, I need to factor in the exchange rates.

My expectation is that the base Model 3 with come in at approximately $46,000CAD.

If you are basing the percentage of premium on what it is now... I dont think it's reasonable. I think it will be more like40~42k CAD before incentives for base model after all the taxes are accounted for by the time the pricing is announced.
The current price was adjusted when USD to CAD was 1:0.7 ish. I heard Tesla updates their prices quarterly.. If Canadian pricing is about 10~13% more then I will probably get bigger battery, awd, pano, and maybe premium interior package. AP can be enabled later.

You should contact Tesla and "suggest" a location. Can't hurt.

I'm going all out on this car. I've kept my current car for 16 years and hopefully it'll last me another 2 and then i can finally spoil myself on something I'll REALLY enjoy.

Here are the options i'll be getting:

Sliding Glass Roof
Larger battery
dual motors
Ludicrous mode (Musk confirmed this car will have it too)
Autopilot
supercharger access (hopefully it's free and included)
Sub-zero weather
Metallic Blue Paint
premium package (which will be nicer interior/lights controls)
20/21 inch Rims

I assume the car will start at 44/45K (as long as that dollar keeps gaining on the US we'll be looking good).
With these options i'm hoping for less than 70K

In Ontario we get 14,000 tax rebate and depending if they dealership takes off the 14,000 instantly. If not i'll put down 15-20K down and then pay myself back when the tax rebate comes.

I'm going all out on this car. I've kept my current car for 16 years and hopefully it'll last me another 2 and then i can finally spoil myself on something I'll REALLY enjoy.

Here are the options i'll be getting:

Sliding Glass Roof
Larger battery
dual motors
Ludicrous mode (Musk confirmed this car will have it too)
Autopilot
supercharger access (hopefully it's free and included)
Sub-zero weather
Metallic Blue Paint
premium package (which will be nicer interior/lights controls)
20/21 inch Rims

I assume the car will start at 44/45K (as long as that dollar keeps gaining on the US we'll be looking good).
With these options i'm hoping for less than 70K

In Ontario we get 14,000 tax rebate and depending if they dealership takes off the 14,000 instantly. If not i'll put down 15-20K down and then pay myself back when the tax rebate comes.
We had a P85D with Ludicrous Mode last weekend as a loaner from the Service Centre. Unless you plan to take the car to the track, 2.6 seconds is way too fast on the streets. The tires were keeping grip only because of traction control SW. Our 85D is fast enough at 4.4 seconds and it gets better range. Ludicrous mode is not something that I would need. It can spook other drivers who misjudge speed creating higher risk of somebody making a left turn in front of a car that is too quick for street use. We deal with the same issue on our motorcycle. Defensive driving is required all of the time.

Also consider getting a set of the smaller 19 inch rims for your snow tires. Potholes will damage 21 inch rims. Save the big rims for show and shine days. For everyday use 19 inch rims are much more pleasant and practical.

Other than that you have selected the same options that we did for our Model S. We did get the upgraded seats.

Like you we consider our Tesla to be a long term keeper for at least the next 30 years. I still have a 26 year old Toyota pickup that just runs and runs. Oh yes, keeping a gas car as a winter beater is a good option for life in Canada. Our gas vehicles all have good snow tires and a natural by product of a gas engine is excess heat which is very much appreciated in winter. For three months of driving in salt and ice we ran the gas vehicles. They are old and worth very little in the market hence perfect as winter beaters.

Ontario may even offer a big incentive bonus to crush these gas cars in the future which you can use in your Model 3 business case.

My thoughts for your consideration.

We had a P85D with Ludicrous Mode last weekend as a loaner from the Service Centre. Unless you plan to take the car to the track, 2.6 seconds is way too fast on the streets. The tires were keeping grip only because of traction control SW. Our 85D is fast enough at 4.4 seconds and it gets better range. Ludicrous mode is not something that I would need. It can spook other drivers who misjudge speed creating higher risk of somebody making a left turn in front of a car that is too quick for street use. We deal with the same issue on our motorcycle. Defensive driving is required all of the time.

Also consider getting a set of the smaller 19 inch rims for your snow tires. Potholes will damage 21 inch rims. Save the big rims for show and shine days. For everyday use 19 inch rims are much more pleasant and practical.

Other than that you have selected the same options that we did for our Model S. We did get the upgraded seats.

Like you we consider our Tesla to be a long term keeper for at least the next 30 years. I still have a 26 year old Toyota pickup that just runs and runs. Oh yes, keeping a gas car as a winter beater is a good option for life in Canada. Our gas vehicles all have good snow tires and a natural by product of a gas engine is excess heat which is very much appreciated in winter. For three months of driving in salt and ice we ran the gas vehicles. They are old and worth very little in the market hence perfect as winter beaters.

Ontario may even offer a big incentive bonus to crush these gas cars in the future which you can use in your Model 3 business case.

It is my understanding that a Tesla warms up quicker than any ICE vehicle. I know when it drops down to -30 it can take my car 15 to 20 minutes to warm up enough that I can take off my gloves to drive. By that time I'm almost at my destination. Am I wrong?

It is my understanding that a Tesla warms up quicker than any ICE vehicle. I know when it drops down to -30 it can take my car 15 to 20 minutes to warm up enough that I can take off my gloves to drive. By that time I'm almost at my destination. Am I wrong?
There are two warm up events that are important. Cabin heat and heated seats which are immediate given that there is no coolant to heat first. The second heating cycle is for the battery pack to reach optimal state from max range and max regen braking. This can take longer and more in the range of a ICE car warming up.

That's been our experience on very cold days.

I forgot to mention that we added dual chargers when configuring our Model S so that we can charge on circuits 240VAC and 100 amps (80 amps actual). We did this for road trip travel to charge in one half the time. For our normal charging at home only one charger is used and it takes from one to two hours over night. Not a big deal.

If you are looking at total costs for your Model 3 don't forget the accessories. You will need a HP Wall Charger and getting it early is wise to set up a stove circuit line to your garage or parking place at home. We also ordered roof racks to carry our kayaks assuming that the Tesla will replace our other cars. We bought a spare wheel and tire plus the sealant kit which we take on long road trips. The ferries to Newfoundland are full and you need to make your booked passage so a flat tire shouldn't be a cause of missing the ride. We purchased a third key fob for our children to have access to the car when they want to use it. Back to the HPWC... get two. They are very well built and weather proof. Install one inside the garage and one outside. The outside one can be provided to other Teslas who need an emergency recharge. Your make this available on PlugShare app.

You will also need some charging station pass cards. When traveling not all charging will be done at Superchargers or hotels. Some fees apply but they are small. Mostly the cards are needed to activate the charging stations.

One final cost to consider is a solar panel array on your house to feed the grid during the day so that you can charge the car from the grid at night or while travelling. With a small 20 panel grid we estimate 25,000 free km of Tesla Model S driving every year for the next 30 years.

The business case for an EV goes well beyond the initial order and the options to be selected.

Thanks for responding! Depending on how fast the PXXD goes I may actually opt to not get Ludicrous then. My current Sentra goes 0-100 in about 12 seconds....hahaha so if it's sub 4 seconds for the PXXD model I'll take your advise and possibly skip it and save the 10K. If I hit a really nice windfall maybe I'll add it post purchase.

I loved everything you wrote especially the comments about the tires. I worry about what would happen with giant tires and our city's potholes. I'm probably going to keep my existing car as a winter beater for a least the first year or two and do the exact same. Drive it for 3-4 months and then switch back to the Tesla (although that could be tough to park the car away). We didn't get any snow this year in Scarborough which was odd but I'd hate to get all that salt on the Tesla. So possibly get the upgraded 20/21 inch RIMS for the 8 months of the year and drive the Sentra for winter. Then if the car goes, I can get regular 19 inch Rims and tires for the winter thereafter.

I do plan on getting a dual charger because I'm not sure how the situation will be at home to charge the car. Ideally I'd like a wall charger but I live in a condo and I can't assume I'll be able to install a charger yet. We do have about 300 outdoor parking spots in addition to underground parking so I can't see there being a problem. I do want dual charging for the Level 2 chargers that are abundant in Canada offering 80A. I know there's a Level 2 CHaDEmo charger right in Markham (Hwy 7 and Warden) and I live about 3 minutes from there so I plan on using that one for sure. (it's $10 to use it though) ChaDemO uses DC so it bypasses the dual charger anyway. I'm going to purchase the ChaDemo Accessory for the car.

It also sounds like I'm dropping by your house to make use of your "external" HPWC for emergency use! hahahaha

My goal is eventually have a home with Solar panels and i can live completely off the grid. That's my 10 year plan.

I wonder if anyone can find out how much money has been earmarked for EV Incentives or what the target is. For example, we know that an additional $20 million has been set aside for public fast-charging stations. It's absolutely inevitable that the incentives will be scaled back. There are 5800 PHEV / EV's on Ontario roads today.

Basing my numbers solely on Model 3 and assuming even the base Model 3 will qualify for the full $14000 rebate:

1000 Model 3's = $14,000,000 less funds for the Ontario Government
10000 Model 3's = $140,000,000.

Keep extrapolating and it's obvious the program will be scaled back. I just hope that Canadian Model 3's will qualify for NAFTA requirements in waiving the import duty to make the car purchase less expensive.

Each model 3 at $47k will generate 13% HST. 8% goes to Ontario. So each model 3 is at least $3,760 in Ontario taxes.
so a 1000 model 3's = $14,000-$3,760
Keep in mind that the rebate is based on MSRP so a Chevy Bolt at MSRP of $47,000 could be a better deal depending on what you actually paid for it.
Anyway, I've charted the effective rebate assuming 30% max of MSRP or $14,000 whichever is greater minus the Ontario portion of the tax. The sweet spot is at $46,667 where the effective rebate = $10,267

Attachments

• rebate.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for responding! Depending on how fast the PXXD goes I may actually opt to not get Ludicrous then. My current Sentra goes 0-100 in about 12 seconds....hahaha so if it's sub 4 seconds for the PXXD model I'll take your advise and possibly skip it and save the 10K. If I hit a really nice windfall maybe I'll add it post purchase.

I loved everything you wrote especially the comments about the tires. I worry about what would happen with giant tires and our city's potholes. I'm probably going to keep my existing car as a winter beater for a least the first year or two and do the exact same. Drive it for 3-4 months and then switch back to the Tesla (although that could be tough to park the car away). We didn't get any snow this year in Scarborough which was odd but I'd hate to get all that salt on the Tesla. So possibly get the upgraded 20/21 inch RIMS for the 8 months of the year and drive the Sentra for winter. Then if the car goes, I can get regular 19 inch Rims and tires for the winter thereafter.

I do plan on getting a dual charger because I'm not sure how the situation will be at home to charge the car. Ideally I'd like a wall charger but I live in a condo and I can't assume I'll be able to install a charger yet. We do have about 300 outdoor parking spots in addition to underground parking so I can't see there being a problem. I do want dual charging for the Level 2 chargers that are abundant in Canada offering 80A. I know there's a Level 2 CHaDEmo charger right in Markham (Hwy 7 and Warden) and I live about 3 minutes from there so I plan on using that one for sure. (it's $10 to use it though) ChaDemO uses DC so it bypasses the dual charger anyway. I'm going to purchase the ChaDemo Accessory for the car.

It also sounds like I'm dropping by your house to make use of your "external" HPWC for emergency use! hahahaha

My goal is eventually have a home with Solar panels and i can live completely off the grid. That's my 10 year plan.
We took a ChaDeMo adapter with us to the East Coast and used it once at a Nissan dealership. Their infrastructure has bugs which caused their unit to overheat and switch off every 10 minutes. We eventually charged enough to continue the journey. The Nissan dealership staff were very friendly and happy to offer us drinks while we waited. I like to mitigate risks to we carry adapters and tools in the Frunk for connection to any power source. Most farms in rural Canada have a welder so with an extension and adapter we can always ask for a charge. The reality is that I never need the extra stuff but I carry it to help others. Get the biggest battery size available and the planning required for EV road trips becomes much simpler. That's be best advise I can offer to those configuring their first EV.

Going completely off the grid is not a good plan as fewer users mean that fixed operating costs will be passed along anyway. I heard that there is a fee for the pole and wire to a house even when disconnected. Best that you use the grid to your advantage. With solar panels on your house feeding into the grid you can pay $10 for a charge at the Markham Civic Centre because your panels are feeding it at the same time making the fee zero.

Just as a correction... the car we tested was a P90D with Ludicrous mode. It is available for sale at Tesla as the owner never took delivery. It was configured to be fast and look fast which is not our style.