Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A College Student Rebuilding a Salvage Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
meme.jpg

m5soap.jpg

Last edited:
Just an entertaining thought:

What if I found a Delorean shell, and threw all the tesla guts in there?

Finding a stripped out delorean shell would probably be prohibitively expensive, but it certainly would be an amazing novelty electric car.

Not to mention getting to 88mph would be ridiculously easy.

Reactions: WinterDragoness
Hmm straight bodywork would make life easier. Although you will have to find a way to hide two vehicles from the neighbour

This be why his shell is an alright idea... saves me the effort of replacing a b-pillar, or front end weld and doing necessary engineering simulation to verify its structural integrity.

If the price is right it saves a lot of time and effort although is less educational.

In other news, my dad bought a salvage KIA and all it needed was a bumper to get working.

He replaced the bumper, and my mom has about as much awareness & understanding of cars as roadkill and threw away the broken bumper cover I still needed parts from rather than throwing away the KIA's old bumper cover...

:mad: You have no idea how much rage that fills me with that she didn't just ask for clarification.

So I finished my attempt at a repair of the connector:

Medusa's Connector.JPG
No Guarantee.png

Unsurprisingly, it didn't work. Shortly thereafter I began to work on getting the car to become towable. Disabled the parking brakes by putting 12V on the necessary pins, and then we attempted to tow it, but the wheels still wouldn't turn. As far as we could tell it's likely the front axel is broken. In the process of reconnecting the MCU, something shorted out and the magic smoke was released thoroughly putting that MCU into it's grave (My guess is some sweat dripped off my hand at an inopportune moment).

Later, when my health isn't giving me problems (recently was hospitalized due to appendicitis), I will inspect the front axel more thoroughly.

However, regardless of what I find it has become apparent that this particular salvage will become too expensive & time consuming to revive.

So I will be parting it out: Satosh Surrenders: Parting out S85

It is possible that after selling everything that I might decide to give it a 2nd attempt, but that depends on how much money is raised.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Front axle? Do you have a dual motor car?

U sure you want to part it out and not just sell as a whole? Depending on your price entry point it might be better that way.

That being said if you DO decide to fix I have a front subframe.

What happens if a Tesla has been sitting for a long time is the brake pads rust to the rotors. You might have to put extra force on the car to break it loose. A tow strap and another vehicle can be used to great effect.

What in the MCU let the smoke out?

What happens if a Tesla has been sitting for a long time is the brake pads rust to the rotors. You might have to put extra force on the car to break it loose. A tow strap and another vehicle can be used to great effect.

What in the MCU let the smoke out?

It'd take me some time to look for where the damage occurred, but basically sweat dripped off my arm and short circuited something.

On the topic of brake pads rusting to the rotors, we dragged the thing for about like 15 feet or so being towed by tow straps by my dad's truck, the tires just wouldn't move! They skidded along on the driveway.

It's certainly a valid thought to remove all brake calipers and see if that solves the problem, but after having done some math I'm curious if parting out the car will actually be the smarter move.

Front axle? Do you have a dual motor car?

That being said if you DO decide to fix I have a front subframe.

I do not have a dual motor, I was just guessing at what might be bent/broken/causing the problem I have not looked yet at the specifics yet.

I'll contact you for information if the decision gets reversed, but after having done some math... it's unlikely.

how am I supposed to be entertained now?

I posted like once a month?...

Parts that have arrived but aren't installed:

Replacement suspension knuckle & wheel hub (new brake disk needed to be sourced yet).
Left Headlight & Fog light

Whole bunch of parts came on Friday:

Replacement sliding pano-roof glass.
Replacement Radiator Support
Replacement Left-Hand condensor & fan

Parts on the way:

Bumper cover replacement
Brake Caliper
Passenger Knee & Dash Airbags
Replacement wheel rim & tire
Left Fender Replacement.

Higher Quality FFC Cables

My room is now a sea of bubble wrap...

Pano-roof glass won't actually be installed until we are closer to salvage inspection ready. Only bought it because one was going for insanely cheap.

Radiator Support, condensor, fan will be installed once we move the car to the shed. We will move the car to the shed when new wheel rim & tire arrive.

Connector snaps came, but upon closer inspection of the existing ffc cable one of the pins rubbed off when I tried to transfer the backers... in the future I won't transfer the backers.

Where did you get the parts from?