TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Different Approach to Valet Instructions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Soflauthor, Oct 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Soflauthor-

Excellent website; I love the layout and color scheme. You present a very nice way of easily bringing up instructions for someone who has never used the car.

How does it look on the Model S 17 inch screen? Does it fit as one page in the screen without scrolling?

Here is where I think having flash or HTML 5 video capacity would be nice. I think it would be nice to have a video demo that you could pop up that is narrated (obviously we need to hire cinergi to do this!) or have an illustrated manner of relaying instructions (similar to Tesla's What to Expect but with a more graphical approach) since as a previous poster suggested there might be possible language barriers, comprehension barriers or frankly inability to read in some cases.

2. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

Soflauthor - This is great. Thanks for writing this document. I will have a copy laminated and will keep in the car for whenever I valet.

3. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

+1 Bonnie...the guy might be a lousy driver (or have terminal B.O.) :eek::biggrin:

4. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

Several months ago I had a conversation with a few Tesla techs about adding a Valet and Carwash button to the screen. This is almost the exact text I told them for the Valet button. There also needs to be a Carwash button that brings up a similar screen and gives them a button to press to put the car in neutral and allow the car to stay on when the guy hops out and the car gets pushed thru the carwash tunnel.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

soflauthor, any chance you'd provide the instructions as a PDF or better a Word doc that we could download and personalize. Certainly could make my own, but I like what you've done and I'd like to keep your logo at the top.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I would flip this.

Carefully press the accelectror to move the car, It is very very fast.

7. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Something wrong with 4b. Should be get out OF the car and it turns off automatically. or something ?

8. Soflauthor

Soflauthor Model S, Sig#422

Thx, fixed.

-----

Also, a 'google translate' Spanish version is up. Just click on "Instrucciones de Valet" below the title and a new Spanish language page appears. My Espanol is terrible, so I can't edit it myself.

I'll have my Columbian friend do that as soon as she returns from a trip. This should serve in the interim.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That won't prevent the car wash tracks from damaging the tires though. Perhaps Stark reversion technology is called for here.

10. KangarooAustralia

KangarooAustralia EV Enthusiast

Is there a need for instructions to raise the air suspension? Carparks can be notorious for sharp dips at the bottom and curves at the top of driveways.

IMHO valeted is not a word. Valet is a noun not a verb therefore you cannot valet the car, have valeted the car or be in the process of valeting the car.
    "I valeted my car for the first time over the weekend" = I used a valet for the first time over the weekend
    "......valeting my LEAF" = ...... using a valet with my leaf or ....using a valet to park my leaf

11. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

you should also have a link back to English on the Spanish page- you might get two different valets coming and going....

12. Soflauthor

Soflauthor Model S, Sig#422

Good point. A back link has been added.

- - - Updated - - -

Although the use of the air suspension is a possibility, I really don't think these simple instructions require that level of detail.

I agree with your analysis of "valeted." However, the verb form is used rather frequently here in the USA.

13. KangarooAustralia

KangarooAustralia EV Enthusiast

Yes, unfortunately, if a word is used often enough (no matter how incorrect the context or syntax) it eventually enters the lexicon and becomes accepted. I am a bit of a purist myself...:rolleyes:

14. RDoc

RDoc S85D

When valeting or even self-parking it's often necessary to leave your key in the car so it can be moved. How does that work with the Tesla? With the key in the car is it always on and drawing power from the battery?

15. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

Time to update the Valet instructions with the 4.0 auto extending door handles information.

16. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

+1 Soflauthor, before I bookmark these helpful instructions, could you update the first step for getting into the car to indicate that the door handles will usually pop out when you approach the car if you have the fob without the need to push any buttons on the fob, but the door handles could be pressed if they do not automatically pop out?

17. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Thanks Soflauthor for this great idea and execution!
    Fixes - The first sentence is utterly confusing to a spanish speaker...try this:
    "Usted necesitará el control remoto con forma de coche. NO lo deje en el coche cuando lo estacione. NO lo presione, sólo téngalo con usted."

has anyone verified if the car browser supports HTML5 Geo location APIs? (Test it with this link: http://html5demos.com/geo Interesting things like travel/speed/bounds logging/display could be added to the page to provide that warmfuzzy feeling that "you're being watched".

18. ohmslaw

ohmslaw Member

It's been reported that the API is not supported.

19. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Thanks ohmslaw for the update on the current status. I still think it has a lot of potential! Wonder if Tesla has any resistance to adding it in future revs.