TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Different Approach to Valet Instructions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Soflauthor, Oct 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Well-Known Member

Has anyone else on this thread worked as a valet? Knowing what I know, I would never hand the keys over to a valet even if the car was being parked right in front of the door. I’d park it there myself. I will never send food back at a restaurant for the very same reason. I’ve been on the inside and I KNOW what happens in both cases. It is not pretty.

2. Soflauthor

Soflauthor Model S, Sig#422

I wrote these before the 4.0 software update. Thx for the heads up. Done.

- - - Updated - - -

Thx. Done.

3. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

Thanks, Soflauthor! FYI, I showed your updated Valet Instructions on my 17" screen to a DS today during my orientation and he was impressed. I'll continue to spread the word about this webpage to other Tesla DS and salespeople as well as to fellow MS owners (also mentioning the very cool dash.time4tesla web app created by another developer).

4. yoda

yoda Member

Thanks for these soflauthor. Should be very helpful

5. clmazin

clmazin Member

I went to the Palm in Los Angeles a couple of nights ago, and thought about bringing these instructions, but forgot.

When I pulled into the valet, I asked the attendant if he had parked a Model S before.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "That's my specialty. I've parked about twenty of them so far."

That's L.A. for ya...

6. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

+1, but sometimes you have no choice...

+100, there, you ALWAYS have the choice...

:biggrin:

7. vcor

vcor Member

I started working on a guest driver instruction sheet a while back, but SolfAuthor beat me to the punch! Anyway, here's an alternative one where it has three modes - Guest (like a friend), Valet, and Car Wash. The instructions are slightly different in each case. For example, the Car Wash mode includes a pop-up to remind you to increase the ride height, and the somewhat messy instructions on how to go into Neutral. It's styled fairly close to Tesla's interface, but it's not perfect. It should hold us until Tesla implements a better solution.

http://teslatap.com/guest/

If you save this link as a Favorite, it will return to the last mode it was in when you click on the saved favorite.

The Spanish is just a Google translation (i.e. likely bad), so I'm hoping to find a Spanish speaker review it and I'll update this next week. If someone is fluent in Spanish wants to chip in with a better translation, let me know.

8. TTT

TTT Member

broken link

9. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

10. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Agreed. Even that was difficult to interpret. Anything that has to be read in prose is essentially useless. Symbols are faster and easier than text.

We need just:
    • One statement at the top: "Step on brake to start car." or ""Step on brake to start car and to change gears"
    • A picture of the stalk with arrow symbols in indicating directions for "Drive", "Reverse", "Park"

They'll figure out the rest. There is no need for "Keep the FOB with you", "The car locks by itself". They'll figure out that the door handles open when they open. They don't need to be told that the speedometer will appear, yada, yada. They're parking the car and bringing it back to you. It's not a road trip. KISS.