Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Fart Toy. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hilarious. Yes, it failed to start. I got in the car and the dash showed a message to the effect of "Please wait until this message disappears before pressing the brake." The main screen was blank. I waited several minutes and finally had to reboot the car. It came up (partially). It did not support any of the autodrive and several other features and did not until the car was restarted again.

Making fun of others is not "cool" or mature. I'm a paying customer who, frankly is unimpressed with the fit-and-finish, the lack of design forethought, and mostly, the lack of customer support when I needed it. I waited for over 45 minutes (twice) to get my car started and diagnosed. They have yet to offer any reason for this (these) random failures other than (basically) "*sugar* happens"--and you make fun of me?
Sounds like maybe you need a different Service Center. The one near us is very diligent and has not given up until each (early on) issue was resolved. If you take it in (and drive a loaner for a few days) they will fix the problem. If not, you need to take it to a different center. The more I hear, the more I realize how lucky we are.

As a former owner of a software/hardware development company, the way I kept my employees (superstars that could work anywhere they wanted) was to let them have fun while they worked. They were dedicated and talented people who worked long hours. If they didn't get a chance to create some fun once in a while, they would burn out. I am pretty sure Tesla's people are similar. Just because they came up with an easter egg (probably on their own time), doesn't mean they aren't dedicated to the "real" issues. It's not necessarily a zero sum situation. Also your particular problem with not starting is not a general one we all suffer, so it wouldn't have been in the broadly dispersed update anyhow.

Reactions: Beta V
There were many updates other than the fart app in this last update. I am 66 and love the fart app. I think they were celebrating solving quite a few bugs and improve more and more with each update. I think some people are just not appreciative of how far Tesla has come and how far they are still planning on going. We are too spoiled. I love my car and appreciate the hard work that goes into the improvements. Name one other car that can be continually improved while sitting in your garage.

Well this particular update totally trashed my Spotify app, which is now pretty much useless and requires a full reboot pretty much every time I start the car up. It's not like it was super reliable before, but it was better. I don't have a problem with the Fart app, it's funny, but the dysfunctional media player is certainly not! Just for good measure the romance fireplace sometimes crashes the MCU too. I love my Tesla as much as you do, but it doesn't excuse poor software QC.

Reactions: Beta V
I wonder how many other unintended side-effects were caused by this update? I'm sorry you're having these issues. I also know how very difficult it is to test all user configurations. I worked with the Windows team at Microsoft to develop a complex database to help test upcoming iterative versions of Windows. There were thousands (tens of thousands) of variations that we tested for, and still, each release triggered issues we had not expected. Given the number of user-installable/configurable options and their interdependencies, this is to be expected. All they (and we) could do is hope for the best and try to patch what we think caused the problem in the next release. And then that release might break other working code. It's a vicious circle.

STOP complaining.

Really? That seems to be Elon's response to the shorts. "Hey, stop that!" Or a better response would be to do a better job so the shorts had nothing to talk about.

I'm sure working for Tesla is no easy task. I've done software and hardware development and there were times I worked 80 hour weeks continuously. It all sucks! But the part that sucked the most was the crap that came from management during all this. That's where the real stress comes from, not the job itself, but from poor management. If you don't like the job, I bet GM is hiring. lol

Reactions: DaveHarper
With all the serious stuff we've requested like mirrors that assault me and my passengers, Tesla releases a new feature to play fart noises? Someone needs to have their priorities reset. No, not all Tesla owners are eleven.

As to the mirrors, this is a more serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. Automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached.

Seems it would be an easy SW fix, I'll subscribe to that one, but on the fart scene, it's saved me from interior seat damage on a long trip with a bored toddler so I'm not complaining that they've done it. I may not be under 11 but my passengers sometimes are.