Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Fart Toy. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
With all the serious stuff we've requested like mirrors that assault me and my passengers, Tesla releases a new feature to play fart noises? Someone needs to have their priorities reset. No, not all Tesla owners are eleven.

As to the mirrors, this is a more serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. Automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached.

With all the serious stuff we've requested like mirrors that assault me and my passengers, Tesla releases a new feature to play fart noises? Someone needs to have their priorities reset. No, not all Tesla owners are eleven.

As to the mirrors, this is a more serious problem. When I park in a confined space, I expect my mirrors to automatically retract when I put the vehicle in park. Automatically. All my previous vehicles (from Fords, to Acuras, to Lexus) did so. The mirrors did not extend as I approached the car--only when I was in the driver's seat. This prevented the (rather large) mirrors from assaulting me or my passengers as they approached.

I agree about the stupidity of the fart app, but I have literally never once been anywhere close enough to get struck by the mirrors unfolding as I've approached my X. Like, it's never even occurred to me.

While I agree with the OPs assessment regarding when the mirrors unfold as I'm constantly hitting my drivers side mirror walking down the very tight corridor between the car and the garage wall, I love the new fart app... LOL My son is going to get a kick out of it when I pick him up from school today... LOL

Yes though, for sure, the mirrors should not unfold until the driver "starts" the car... I've never understood why Tesla does it the way they do for no real reason...

Jeff

So how do you guys know the fart app is the priority? Are you at the Tesla meetings?

Exactly.

For all we know, Tesla had some non-essential person come up with something that would appeal to the immature masses (the title of which I proudly display). Maybe it took absolutely nothing to program, and Elon thought it would be funny (I agree!).

It's interesting that some seem to automatically think that Tesla is putting their TOP engineers/programmers on things like this, and it's taking priority over real issues. SMH :rolleyes:

On a similar note... the 'Romance Mode' is pretty cool! But do I feel the seat warmers on???:D

So how do you guys know the fart app is the priority? Are you at the Tesla meetings?
Totally agree. Working at a videogame company, I know that even if there are strong priorities in term of systems and features that needs to be rock solid when the game hit the shelves do not mean that there are no intern, junior programmer, or other that can be tasked with some minor things at the same time.

Now I agree that the Tesla Shop, tracking of ordered items, and various parts of the software could be improved. Delivery logistic is another big topic that Tesla needs to address quickly. But I doubt that the same guy(gal) that did those Easter eggs would have been able to tackle those other issues ;)

Don't forget "Romance mode" and Atari games with steering wheel input. How dare Tesla dedicate 1 or 10 programmers from the hundreds they have on payroll to do something quirky that stands out and keeps their buzz going in circles ranging from 11 year olds who love it to 40 year olds who take themselves too seriously and hate it to 70+ year olds who realize there is way more important stuff to get upset about. Lol

As someone who has never appreciated toilet humor and has a 30+ inch waist, I honestly don't see how an electable Easter Egg could cause so much consternation. I don't plan to use it personally, but I don't begrudge those with small kids or immature (lol) senses of humor. But then again, I don't consider myself an arbiter of what is funny, or what is a priority of a company of which I am not a board member.

Live and Let Live. We all have some seriously awesome future cars!

I used to think these fun updates were one of the things which makes Tesla "special".

I now find them irritating and a sad reminder of the dysfunctional auto-wipers, browser, mirror logic, and other bugs which somehow get overlooked by the developers. Now "special" has a different meaning.

BTW, for the Tesla software team -- Model S/X have two screens, you can let us keep the fireplace open while we drive.

I used to think these fun updates were one of the things which makes Tesla "special".

I now find them irritating and a sad reminder of the dysfunctional auto-wipers, browser, mirror logic, and other bugs which somehow get overlooked by the developers. Now "special" has a different meaning.

BTW, for the Tesla software team -- Model S/X have two screens, you can let us keep the fireplace open while we drive.

Someone reported that the Auto-wipers worked better in this release (48.12). I haven't checked it out yet.

I know many software companies institute a policy that a certain number of hours are allowed for side projects. Giving time for creative work leads to better morale.

For all we know these easter eggs are the result of some peoples spare time and the project was given a green light since it was already done.

I have no problem putting in these playful features, even if I find no practical use.

Which one is it? You find them irritating and a sad reminder? Or you want them to spend MORE time devoted to keeping the fireplace open whilst driving?

:eek:

Totally agree. Working at a videogame company, I know that even if there are strong priorities in term of systems and features that needs to be rock solid when the game hit the shelves do not mean that there are no intern, junior programmer, or other that can be tasked with some minor things at the same time.

Now I agree that the Tesla Shop, tracking of ordered items, and various parts of the software could be improved. Delivery logistic is another big topic that Tesla needs to address quickly. But I doubt that the same guy(gal) that did those Easter eggs would have been able to tackle those other issues ;)

Guy/gal? Are you telling me they don't have an Easter egg division? There are a lot of Easter eggs for one person to have created!

The new toys also expect an update to the Tesla App. It hasn't been posted (yet).
I like fun as much as the next guy but when I spend $100,000 on a car I expect it to be far more reliable and deal better with safety issues. Frankly, it's the least reliable of the 26 cars I've owned since my stock 1930 Model A Ford.

I've also worked in the software industry for about 50 years. Before I retired, I had designed and built computers as well as written a lot of code and had to support it. I also wrote a dozen books on the subject. EVERY time you post an update you risk the chance of screwing up stuff through the laws of unintended side-effects. I like cool, but not when it does not enhance safety and reliability.

Perhaps I'm miffed because my Model X has failed to start on at least two separate occasions with Tesla being unable to tell me why. Seeing a new update does not assuage my fears that something new and "cool" will put me and my family in jeopardy.