Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A hard lesson learned about tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought 2 new tires from Discount Tires for my M3 this past week. Because I wanted the quietest tires possible I went with Michellin Defender 2, they cost me $700.

Today I had a flat tire. I called Tesla Roadside and they said because I didn't buy the tires from Tesla they couldn't help me out, not even help me with a quote for a tow truck (according to the agent they are only allowed 1 call and because the tow truck operator did not answer she could not call again).

The agent recommended that I call my insurance company to see if they can do anything for me. I previously had AAA but canceled it when I bought the car - thinking I would never need them again.

As of this writing I called a mobile tire repair and they quoted me $275 to come and replace the tire with an off-brand. I'm ok with that just so I can get home tonight.

I plan to take the flat tire back to Discount tomorrow because I bought warranty from them.

What did i learn? DO NOT buy tires from anyone other than Tesla. It is not worth it.
tesla wont help unless you guy from them...lame....thats why they overcharge for tires. Get aaa....i think towin is covered.

most insurance companies offer free roadside asst or have it for minimal charge, surprised you didnt have that with your insurance.
Like other have mentioned AAA is another super cheap alternative

If you bought the tires from Discount Tire hopefully you paid the few extra bucks for the road hazard cert which covers the tire 100%

Do the AAA affiliated tow companies know how to handle Teslas?

When my rear motor & HV fuse failed, Roadside Assistance sent a Tesla-trained tow truck driver. It took him 3 hours to get there (in 100°F heat but the A/C worked on 12V power) but he was terrific. He knew how to put the car on the flatbed and took the car and us 220+ miles to a service center. Do not tow it with any wheels on the ground.

Typically, yes. As @jjrandorin said, typically most of the roadside services subcontract to the same folks.

I - again just like @jjrandorin - keep AAA and prefer it over any other roadside service for this reason ….

They will tow me *where I specify* up to 200 miles. Most other roadside services are only obligated to tow to the nearest repair shop.

I like choice and I like being able to specify where we’re going. It’s come in handy before in my pre-Tesla days. I used to have a 60-mile commute one way and had an engine problem. Instead of going to the closest shop, I had them tow me all the way to my usual shop close to my house, where I a) trusted the mechanic and b) was able to easily have my wife pick me up. Saves time and money.

Can’t recommend AAA strongly enough …. Wouldn’t consider driving without it. The peace of mind is worth so much more than the membership fee.

Reactions: Transformer

When my rear motor & HV fuse failed, Roadside Assistance sent a Tesla-trained tow truck driver. It took him 3 hours to get there (in 100°F heat but the A/C worked on 12V power) but he was terrific. He knew how to put the car on the flatbed and took the car and us 220+ miles to a service center. Do not tow it with any wheels on the ground.
yes they do....and insurance does as well...

Typically, yes. As @jjrandorin said, typically most of the roadside services subcontract to the same folks.

I - again just like @jjrandorin - keep AAA and prefer it over any other roadside service for this reason ….

They will tow me *where I specify* up to 200 miles. Most other roadside services are only obligated to tow to the nearest repair shop.

I like choice and I like being able to specify where we’re going. It’s come in handy before in my pre-Tesla days. I used to have a 60-mile commute one way and had an engine problem. Instead of going to the closest shop, I had them tow me all the way to my usual shop close to my house, where I a) trusted the mechanic and b) was able to easily have my wife pick me up. Saves time and money.

Can’t recommend AAA strongly enough …. Wouldn’t consider driving without it. The peace of mind is worth so much more than the membership fee.
they towed our car to discount tire and discount replaced the tire as i had roadside warranty and it couldnt be fixed.

The AC does not run off the 12V battery. The AC is 3+kW and at 12V that would be 250A, which would kill your 12V battery in about 10 minutes.
I see. So the HV battery's fuse cuts power only to the motors?

Service invoice> Inspected vehicle and found rear drive unit internally shorted, causing battery fuse to blow. Performed replacement of the rear drive unit and replaced the pyrotechnic fuse.
>
> Part
> ASY,REAR,MOSFETLC,GLOBAL(1120990-00-G)
> DISCONNECT,BATTERY,PYRO(106468900-J)
> ...

I see. So the HV battery's fuse cuts power only to the motors?
Not per Tesla's own diagrams. Your overall description doesn't make sense.

Here's Tesla's own power diagram in the Service Mode. You can both clearly see that the pyro fuse is part of the battery source, the HV goes through the contactors, and the HV loads are the drive units, as well as the compressor and heaters.

1683907595122.png

Not per Tesla's own diagrams. Your overall description doesn't make sense.

Here's Tesla's own power diagram in the Service Mode. You can both clearly see that the pyro fuse is part of the battery source, the HV goes through the contactors, and the HV loads are the drive units, as well as the compressor and heaters.

That's helpful. Furthermore, I'd expect that the rear drive unit shorting out would immediately blow the HV fuse, cutting power to the front drive unit as well as the compressor.

So I have to discount their diagnosis, "found rear drive unit internally shorted, causing battery fuse to blow".

PXL_20210801_230912420.jpg

Aug. 1, 2021:
  • 2:18 pm, "Rear motor disabled - OK to drive. Vehicle power may be limited."
  • 2:56 pm, "Power reduced" then "Vehicle shutting down" then "Rear motor disabled - OK to drive" (misleading).
  • 4:09 pm, I took a snapshot of the alerts. The outside temp had cooled ≈3° but we were not roasting inside.
  • 5:18 pm, loading on a flatbed.
PXL_20210802_001838220.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2