Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A hard lesson learned about tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought 2 new tires from Discount Tires for my M3 this past week. Because I wanted the quietest tires possible I went with Michellin Defender 2, they cost me $700.

Today I had a flat tire. I called Tesla Roadside and they said because I didn't buy the tires from Tesla they couldn't help me out, not even help me with a quote for a tow truck (according to the agent they are only allowed 1 call and because the tow truck operator did not answer she could not call again).

The agent recommended that I call my insurance company to see if they can do anything for me. I previously had AAA but canceled it when I bought the car - thinking I would never need them again.

As of this writing I called a mobile tire repair and they quoted me $275 to come and replace the tire with an off-brand. I'm ok with that just so I can get home tonight.

I plan to take the flat tire back to Discount tomorrow because I bought warranty from them.

What did i learn? DO NOT buy tires from anyone other than Tesla. It is not worth it.

What did i learn? DO NOT buy tires from anyone other than Tesla. It is not worth it.

Or....

Keep AAA so that you can get a tow....

Or

Pay for a tow truck to someplace you can get a tire put on

Or

Carry a plug kit and fix the tire yourself

I mean I am sorry this happened and you were inconvenienced, but "dont buy tires anywhere but Tesla" is a bit extreme, since there are multiple ways to deal with this.

I bought 2 new tires from Discount Tires for my M3 this past week. Because I wanted the quietest tires possible I went with Michellin Defender 2, they cost me $700.

I plan to take the flat tire back to Discount tomorrow because I bought warranty from them.

What? You bought the tire from Discount Tire with a warranty and when you had a problem you called Tesla and were surprised when they told you that you need to work with who you bought the tire from. Why did you call Tesla expecting them to help you with someone else's product? If you bought a cheap mouse for your MacBook from Best Buy and it broke, that is like calling Apple expecting them to replace the mouse. Of course they are going to tell you to get lost. This is not a Tesla problem, it is a you calling the wrong people problem. Also, a little late but I sure would not recommend putting a third tire on the car. If I understand you right, you would have two old tires, one Michelin Defender 2, and One off brand something else. That is a recipe for trouble.

Today I had a flat tire. I called Tesla Roadside and they said because I didn't buy the tires from Tesla they couldn't help me out, not even help me with a quote for a tow truck (according to the agent they are only allowed 1 call and because the tow truck operator did not answer she could not call again).

The agent recommended that I call my insurance company to see if they can do anything for me. I previously had AAA but canceled it when I bought the car - thinking I would never need them again.

As of this writing I called a mobile tire repair and they quoted me $275 to come and replace the tire with an off-brand. I'm ok with that just so I can get home tonight.

Typical story, wrong conclusion. Keep AAA. Buy from Discount Tire.

Tesla is not serious enough about stocking tires (usually don't have them available) and they simply aren't as good about servicing as Discount is.

What? You bought the tire from Discount Tire with a warranty and when you had a problem you called Tesla and were surprised when they told you that you need to work with who you bought the tire from. Why did you call Tesla expecting them to help you with someone else's product? If you bought a cheap mouse for your MacBook from Best Buy and it broke, that is like calling Apple expecting them to replace the mouse. Of course they are going to tell you to get lost. This is not a Tesla problem, it is a you calling the wrong people problem. Also, a little late but I sure would not recommend putting a third tire on the car. If I understand you right, you would have two old tires, one Michelin Defender 2, and One off brand something else. That is a recipe for trouble.
I would normally go with you. However, the people at the local Tesla store recommended that i go to Discount. So I thought the tires were covered.

However, Roadside Assitance said they should not have told me that because they are not covered.

Furthermore, they gave me the phone # to the store manager to lodge a complaint.

As for the 3rd tire. I just need to get home for the night and then make it to Discount in the morning. The 2 new tires have warranty.

Reactions: Jane4
Or....

Keep AAA so that you can get a tow....

Or

Pay for a tow truck to someplace you can get a tire put on

Or

Carry a plug kit and fix the tire yourself

I mean I am sorry this happened and you were inconvenienced, but "dont buy tires anywhere but Tesla" is a bit extreme, since there are multiple ways to deal with this.
Thanks I needed that. I was frustrated when I wrote the line.

Calling AAA in the morning.

Within the warranty period Tesla always provides free towing to any Tesla service center within 50 miles, regardless of what tires you have or where you bought them. This is clearly and explicitly stated in the terms. And in many cases they can provide loaner wheels instead. They do ask that you purchase the replacement tire from them, of course.

In your specific case of having brand new non-OEM tires you just have to choose the lesser of the evils. Either take the free tow and overpay for OEM tire(s), or pay for your own tow to the tire shop of your choosing.

Within the warranty period Tesla always provides free towing to any Tesla service center within 50 miles, regardless of what tires you have or where you bought them. This is clearly and explicitly stated in the terms. And in many cases they can provide loaner wheels instead. They do ask that you purchase the replacement tire from them, of course.

In your specific case of having brand new non-OEM tires you just have to choose the lesser of the evils. Either take the free tow and overpay for OEM tire(s), or pay for your own tow to the tire shop of your choosing.

This. Exactly this (what @Gauss Guzzler wrote).

Use Tesla Roadside when you need a tow to Tesla Service .

Don't go to Tesla Service for tires. Buy tires from tire shops, because they'll have much better selection and pricing and schedule availability, usually.

Of course if you're in an bind you do what you need to, in order to get back on the road. Which theoretically could mean using Tesla Service for tires if that's the only option in the circumstances.

Tesla Roadside should have at least offered to tow you to Tesla Service, even if they didn't want to give you a loaner wheel with a mismatched tire. That they refused to tow you at all is pretty messed up. They have towed me with aftermarket wheels and tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane4
My Auto insurance (AmFam) has roadside assistance included, no cost.. check your ins, probably don’t need AAA.
If you want the best chance of the soonest possible tow, I think it's worth keeping AAA membership even if you have other forms of tow coverage.

AAA operates their own fleet. They don't do contract work for others, nor will they do paid tows for non-members. It's very possible to end up in a situation where the only tow available for a long while is AAA, and you can only use them if you're already member.

Most other (local) tow services you can at least call them and pay for the job, if they're available, even if you don't have any towing coverage that would pay them. Insurance company towing is going to be hiring local tow companies, I believe, or simply reimbursing you.

I've been in a 7 hour overnight ordeal trying to get a Tesla towed out of a very sketchy situation. As it turned out AAA failed to help me that night due to an equipment issue, but they did get to me first, by a long shot. I called everyone I could. Tesla Roadside couldn't send anyone at all. (And AAA reimbursed for the tow that I eventually got.)

You certainly don't need AAA to get a tow but they might be a worthwhile option to have available. That was a really miserable night and it would've been over quicker thanks to AAA, if not for that unusual (I think) issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
At least in my area, AAA subcontracts out to towing companies (the same one that almost every other large car manufacturer uses in that same area). What I mean is, if you call AAA, or Tesla Roadside, or BMW Roadside, or Acura Roadside, or Toyota Roadside, etc etc, at least in the areas I have been in in SoCal, the exact same third party towtruck company is going to show up.

I have kept my AAA membership (26 years now) mostly because I have 200 miles towing option on it, so its nice peace of mind for me.

Price out tow coverage from your insurance. It's likely much cheaper than AAA. You may have to pay a tow up front and request reimbursement though.

Frankly, I've rarely needed a tow in my lifetime. Paying for AAA doesn't make much sense to me as it's cheaper to pay out of pocket in the long run for most people (AAA would be out of business if this was the case).

As for this situation, was it that big of a deal to just call a tow truck out? Took me 30 minutes to get one out to me the last time I needed one. AAA made a lot more sense when all we had were pay phones....

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
At least in my area, AAA subcontracts out to towing companies (the same one that almost every other large car manufacturer uses in that same area). What I mean is, if you call AAA, or Tesla Roadside, or BMW Roadside, or Acura Roadside, or Toyota Roadside, etc etc, at least in the areas I have been in in SoCal, the exact same third party towtruck company is going to show up.

I have kept my AAA membership (26 years now) mostly because I have 200 miles towing option on it, so its nice peace of mind for me.
@jjrandorin Very interesting. In my area AAA has their own fleet. Tesla Roadside seems to as well, at least sort of. The Tesla Roadside trucks here might be hired contractors - but even if so, Tesla is definitely hiring them on the clock to be readily available for Tesla customers. And supplying them with Tesla loaner wheels. So the result is a Tesla specific service.

@Gauss Guzzler That's interesting as well. I'm not sure I'd count on getting them to make an exception if it's a high contention day/night (lots more tow requests than drivers available for). I don't recall being given that as an option by AAA emergency service phone operators in the past. It was always "existing AAA member needs to be present." But it is good to know that they might allow for paid exceptions!

@jjrandorin Very interesting. In my area AAA has their own fleet. Tesla Roadside seems to as well, at least sort of. The Tesla Roadside trucks here might be hired contractors - but even if so, Tesla is definitely hiring them on the clock to be readily available for Tesla customers. And supplying them with Tesla loaner wheels. So the result is a Tesla specific service.

Oh, you can get a Tesla loaner wheel (I have had to do that 3 times). I am not sure I am being clear in what I am saying, though. Ill try to explain better....

Where my house is, the predominate towing company is called "Blacks towing". They contract with AAA, with BMW, with Tesla and presumably with a few other car manufacturers. If you call AAA for a tow in my area, 99% of the time its going to be a towtruck from Blacks towing. If you call for a towtruck from Tesla, its also a blacks towing towtruck that shows up. Same for BMW.

Its just "who is paying blacks towing", and what services they might or might not offer you. When I got a flat tire somewhat close to home, I called tesla roadside, a blacks towing tow truck came, with a spare tire (a 19inch tire and rim, with a bunch of red paint on it actually), and they put it on.

A few years ago, I needed a battery for my BMW and I called AAA. Blacks Towing showed up (and then told me "oh we dont have BMW batteries, sorry, would you like me to tow you to BMW?"... I said no, and ended up jumping my car and driving it to BMW to get a battery that ended up costing like $500 installed... cause... BMW).

Anyway, hope that explains what I mean. I have also gotten a flat tire by work in my tesla (which is 40 miles away, a different city and actually a different county as well) and a different tow company showed up, but the same one showed up for AAA (when I called them for a co worker who needed a tow and I used my AAA) and Tesla (another flat tire, blasted 20 inch rims and potholes).

Reactions: Massive Attack

Well I had a similar experience with a flat and did use Tesla. It was not worth it!

Got a flat tire on my front driver side M3P Sunday afternoon, only 2,500 miles on it. Called Tesla and within an hour they came and towed it to the service center which was closed. They would look at it first thing Monday morning. So far so good. When the car was on the flatbed tow truck, I noticed a small bubble on a rear tire. Noted in the app for them to take a look at that in addition to the front flat. Come Monday morning I left a message with Tesla service center to call me regarding the bubble and to see if front flat was patchable instead of replacing a new tire. They never called back and I simply got a message in the app that the work was done and they just replaced the 2 tires, $1,103, thank you very much!

I feel I would have been much better served in having the car towed (covered by auto insurer) to my local ETD Tire dealer and have them diagnose the 2 issues and go from there. Worst case, I would have paid $710 (price from Tire Rack for 2 Michelin Pilot Sports) + installation. Would have been way less than $1,103.