Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A REAL wireless charging pad for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received an update from Nomad that their production is delayed: :eek:o_O :mad::(

Straight to it – production is delayed, but by only 10 days. All the parts are done and sitting in our assembly plant, but I wanted to make sure that we spend extra time on the custom, prismatic, high-temp lithium batteries. I could have rushed everything just to meet the delivery date but, I think you will agree, the extra high-temp testing and tweaking are worth it.

The first orders will ship on Sept. 10th. Our team will ship all orders placed from launch to August 22nd by September 17th. All orders will be shipped in the order they were received.

This has been a pet project for me, and I appreciate all the support. This has been a fun one and I’m excited to see how you use your Model 3 Wireless Charger.

Cheers from Shenzhen,
-Brian
Co-Founder | Head of Product

Push that Sept 10th date back a few more days too!! :oops:
nomad.jpg

I ordered on Sept. 7th and received this email yesterday:

“The chargers are on their way and close by, but seem to be experiencing delays in customs since they have batteries and they're being imported from China. Not the most ideal situation to be in at the moment, but things are looking awesome otherwise and we don't expect any additional delays.

We expect to have them in by Friday, September 14 and start shipping out the first orders that same day. Orders placed from July 24 - September 10 will be shipped between September 14 - 25 in the order they were placed. All orders placed tomorrow onward will ship out starting October 15.“

it does not fall off after placement but does tend to slip through to the storage easier while placing the phone down

I haven't had any trouble when putting the phone down, though I've had it slip into the storage area a few times after aggressive acceleration. I suspect that's related to the curvature of my Otter Box case. A slightly higher lip should take care of that problem, next time I visit my buddy with a 3D printer I'll ask if he can whip something up. It's possible somebody has already posted a 3D printer file for this.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 83
I received my Nomad today. Installed it and used it for my 2 hour joy ride in the mountains. Both my phone and my wife's (Samsung Galaxy S8) fit perfectly and didn't move a bit even with fast acceleration (P3D-). Here is my pro/con list:

Pros:
Fast charging out of the box - and it is fast!
Easy install
LED lights that show if one or both are charging
High lip to catch larger phones
Sleek packaging
Comes with spacers if you have a smaller phone

Cons:
Short wires, once plugged in you can't lift the phone tray all the way up
It's a little thick overall, I feel like my phone just barely allows the lid to close over it

I received my Nomad today. Installed it and used it for my 2 hour joy ride in the mountains. Both my phone and my wife's (Samsung Galaxy S8) fit perfectly and didn't move a bit even with fast acceleration (P3D-). Here is my pro/con list:

Pros:
Easy install
Sleek packaging

Cons:
It's a little thick overall, I feel like my phone just barely allows the lid to close over it

Take a picture of it installed man!:) Come on man, make a video or something!o_O

Reactions: C141medic

Pros:
Easy install
Sleek packaging

Cons:

Photos please.

Pros:
Easy install
Sleek packaging

Cons:

I got mine today and I agree with all of these points. I wish the included cable was 1" longer, but I guess I don't open and close the charging section much.

It definitely feels very premium. Hopefully the iPhone XS Max will fit in it. My iPhone X with case takes up most of the area. I guess i'll see on Friday.

I'm interested in the Nomad charging solution...A couple of questions...

* I use one of the USB ports below for my music stick. Does that mean that I can only charge one phone? Any way to have USB music, and charge two phones at a decent speed? I guess there's always the cigarette lighter plug...

* It gets awfully hot in the car. How do people feel about having the Nomad battery being exposed to those temperatures?

Does the plus size phone (iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone XS Max) fit?

The video review shows an iPhone 8 Plus fitting okay but it looks like that's the largest size phone you will be able to fit. That should mean an iPhone XS Max won't be a problem.

The video reviewer's only negatives were short USB cables, I don't plan on taking it out ever so not too concerned with that, and the lack of "sticky pads" that would prevent it from moving around, not sure how big of a problem that will really be but a small amount of double sided tape would probably solve that if it is in fact a problem.