Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sincere effort from a hater to adapt to living in a world with Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s great! I’ve never seen the five stages of grief apply to car ownership before!

I don’t think that I could ever bring myself to own a Tesla, but somewhere down the road (and figuring 10 years or so) I could get an EQS or a Taycan or whatever the equivalent would be at that point.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recognize that electric vehicles have some advantages over cars. I am realistic about it.

Can you be more specific?
It’s shameful, but I used to carry hateful little notes with me that I would put under their windshield wipers, I would make rude gestures to the cameras hoping that they were on Sentry mode, and if I was especially offended, I would spit on them. If I was driving my truck, I would park very close to them.

Again recall the entire purpose of me starting this thread was to confess and apologize and grow.

I hear you on the subsidies as I also don’t like them. FYI, Tesla’s aren’t eligible for fed subsidies anymore so most Tesla’s you see on the road were not provided any taxpayer money. It especially bothered me when the politicians proposed an extra $4500 per Union made vehicle which only benefits a couple of car companies.

But if the EV subsidies bother you like you say. Then you should be even more fired up about the fossil fuel subsidies as they are much greater. That and the whole issue of burning fossil fuels destroying our planet and health.

Recent article on the fossil fuel subsidies.

Fossil fuel industry gets subsidies of $11m a minute, IMF finds

Reactions: Big Earl
As Jay Leno has said. 'It's not the car that's the problem it's the fuel'. My blood pressure spikes when I think of how ICE is increasing atmospheric CO2 and makes all the terrible extremes we've been experiencing more extreme. Who's joy should take precedence? My joy at not being burned or suffocated by an AGW enhanced wildfire or your joy with an ICE?
Today's (modern) cars have CATS, EGR valves and other emissions devices that stop almost all of tailpipe gases. The guy driving a 1950 caddy is certainly polluting but how many of those are driving around everyday, tens of thousands of miles a year? Not enough to cause a problem. No way I'll ever give up the glorious symphony of my 911.

Today's (modern) cars have CATS, EGR valves and other emissions devices that stop almost all of tailpipe gases. The guy driving a 1950 caddy is certainly polluting but how many of those are driving around everyday, tens of thousands of miles a year? Not enough to cause a problem. No way I'll ever give up the glorious symphony of my 911.

XRL82S:

I agree. Modern cars are indeed very clean, but I still enjoy and appreciate the classics.

I wonder how much environmental concerns factor into the decision for most people to buy EV's. From what I gather many/(most?) EV buyers do it for the economy and driving experience, not CO2 concerns.

I also agree nothing like the sound of a Porsche's flat six. Frankly I don't appreciate their sound much at idle, but when pushed they make a fitting wail. My Gold Wing's flat Six makes similar but greatly muted music.

Also I'd like to get my hands on that 50's Caddy. ESPECIALLY the '59 Eldorado. One of my favorite cars.

BTW it looks like you changed from a Tesla to a Taycan?

Last edited:
From the EPA's website:

Compared to 1970 vehicle models, new cars, SUVs and pickup trucks are roughly 99 percent cleaner for common pollutants (hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides and particle emissions). New heavy-duty trucks and buses are roughly 99 percent cleaner than 1970 models.Apr 7, 2021

(Emphasis theirs)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
XRL82S:

I wonder how much environmental concerns factor into the decision for most people to buy EV's. From what I gather many/(most?) EV buyers do it for the economy and driving experience, not CO2 concerns.

Plenty of ICE cars sold are "econo-boxes" that get good mileage, have low emissions, and modest (ahem) performance. However, they also tend to be very cheap.

The battery pack in an EV is incredibly expensive, putting them into the "luxury" price range. Therefore, most are marketed that way; few are willing to pay premium prices for a sub-par experience.

I think Tesla/EV owners are generally concerned about the environment, but IDK how much that factors into the buying decision. We occasionally get climate deniers here, usually met with hostility. (Well, moderator-enforced "friendly hostility" lol)

It’s shameful, but I used to carry hateful little notes with me that I would put under their windshield wipers, I would make rude gestures to the cameras hoping that they were on Sentry mode, and if I was especially offended, I would spit on them. If I was driving my truck, I would park very close to them.

Again recall the entire purpose of me starting this thread was to confess and apologize and grow.
I was picturing that you keyed them or caused expensive damage. Still, you gave people reasons to hate truck drivers and rednecks (even if you aren't one). You gave people bad days. More damage than you realize.

Reactions: cucubits

0% of the CO2 is being stopped.

Stand near exhaust on School or City Bus, and how long can you take it? Or a Semi or Construction Equipment.
Clean the wheels on your car [brake & tire dust]
Start your car in your garage with the doors closed (careful to not kill yourself)
Just try to pollute less. Car pool when you can (once or twice a week) shop with a friend?

TLDR: Just wanted to put my thoughts in regarding EV tax incentives.

It's funny because Legacy ICE lobbied and still lobbying for those. Tesla just took better advantage of it. I don't understand why the hate is directed towards Tesla when it's the ICE manufacturers are the ones behind it. Tesla has already proven they'll do just fine without it.

My opinion is that the government wants to move the industry where the ball is going to be - the Chinese are coming. Who wants to pay for another bail out?

Reactions: Maxpilot