Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Smidgen Less Chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that this should matter, but it's worth pointing out that pretty much any modern car has chrome around the windows.

My Leaf does not have any chrome around the windows. Just about the only place there is chrome is on the door handles.

That said, I think the chrome looks sharp on the blue color I intend to get my S in. I agree matte black would probably look better on white or silver cars though.

Not that this should matter, but it's worth pointing out that pretty much any modern car has chrome around the windows. It's not like Tesla is doing anything that deviates from the norm.

Just because many do it doesn't make it look any better. Sorry, but I think it's just tacky. I've been looking and it seems about half the cars on the road have the chrome and half don't.

As an aside, there are many Prius detractors who complain about the nickel in the battery being environmentally unfriendly. Besides the fact that the nickel mining in North America has been cleaned up, very little nickel goes into batteries of all types. Far more nickel is used in automotive chrome than has ever been used in batteries. However, you never hear the detractors complain about the nickel that is used to make chrome.

Just because many do it doesn't make it look any better. Sorry, but I think it's just tacky. I've been looking and it seems about half the cars on the road have the chrome and half don't.

That's exactly why I said "not that it should matter" that many are doing it. But if you look at any of the modern luxury car companies, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, Infiniti, etc. they seem to all have chrome trim around the windows. Perhaps for some it's thinner and more subtle, but that's the way it goes. At least you can always address this aftermarket if you're so inclined.

I'm getting a darker color (red if I make the Sig list, Blue otherwise) in large part due to the pop of the chrome vs. the lighter colors.
I'm not sure why they wouldn't offer black chrome or even no chrome if people were willing to pay though.

Here's hoping Tesla sells enough cars to spawn a burgeoning aftermarket. I did see a white BMW 3-series today, and all the trim around the windows was black. It looked nice. I still don't mind the regular complement of chrome, except for the one strip... :)

I second that. I always thought the chrome strip under the doors looked awful, on light colored cars at least. It was one things that made me want the prototype back, as that didn't have black plastic around the lower part of the car.

By the way, my BMW has the "black shadow line" (as it's called here) option you mention seeing, but I didn't get it on purpose to get rid of chrome, it was just part of the M sport package I ordered.

One easy thing to do on the chrome strip under the doors on people who have the performance, is that there are some very high quality adhesive carbon-fiber look alike vinyl that really looks good and holds up well. One could have the strip done in this to accent the other CF trip on the car....just a thought.

My vote is that light-handed use of chrome is a hallmark of premium sedans. My touchstone is Aston Martin, which have thin chrome trim around the side windows. The complete absence of chrome signals either cheap or edgy; the border is not always clear. Tesla may have over-chromed the Model S a touch, though: certainly the under-door accent is unusual and not entirely welcome on light-colored cars, and the side-window surround is a trifle thicker than I would like. Per the OP, a "smidgen less chrome" would be a good thing, IMO.

I always thought the chrome strip under the doors looked awful, on light colored cars at least. It was one things that made me want the prototype back, as that didn't have black plastic around the lower part of the car.

Not outright awful to me but popping out. To me the photoshop works of the OP really improve looks of the car, adding to a stretched, streamlined impression.

Overall chrome is OK for me. So, instead of wrapping the door chrome in vinyl, I consider adding an adhesive chrome strip before and after the doors, extending the chrome line between the wheel wells. How would that look? Have to try myself...

Not outright awful to me but popping out. To me the photoshop works of the OP really improve looks of the car, adding to a stretched, streamlined impression.

Overall chrome is OK for me. So, instead of wrapping the door chrome in vinyl, I consider adding an adhesive chrome strip before and after the doors, extending the chrome line between the wheel wells. How would that look? Have to try myself...

Like this?????

chrome.jpg
extended chrome.jpg

I think it looks much better!!!! It definitely looks evenly distributed and not nearly as distracting IMHO.....So, I would say a smidgen more chrome....!

I think it looks much better!!!! It definitely looks evenly distributed and not nearly as distracting IMHO.....So, I would say a smidgen more chrome....!

In person, I really never really noticed the chrome along the bottom. I think it's one of those things that shows up more in pictures. It's the chrome around the windows that I think looks bad.