Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Smidgen Less Chrome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I prefer the de-chromed version, but I like the more-chrome version more than the standard configuration. My only worry with the more chrome treatment is that it may make the middle section of the car look lower than the front and back. Have to see it in person to say for sure.

This pic really highlights the chrome issue beneath the door, to my eye; from NEWDL:
attachment.php

The good news with NEWDL's photos, to my eye, is that the bottoms of his doors are really well aligned. On some of the early cars, they were a little off, so blacking out the chrome would still have left an uneven edge. So long as the bottom edges of the doors are spot on, it should be easy for those of us who don't care for that strip to have it vinyl wrapped in black, CF-look, or whatever.

Yay for vinyl wrap! To me that's the only thing I'd change on exterior except maybe the badge. I'm ok with the chrome windows. They aren't as bad as other cars like going between windows.

FWIW, the chrome along the bottom doesn't bother me nearly as much as the chrome around the windows or the chrome strip on the back. The one along the bottom at least service a purpose (reduces wear on the body and paint from feet when entering/exiting).

Did anyone else notice that on Tesla's website that they plan on eliminating chrome around the windows on the non-perf yet keep it in the perf model?

no, couldn't find it. where do you see that? if true, this would be another nice way to differentiate the Perf model. I still think there needs to be more differentiation. i want to feel special. :redface:

i generally like the chrome, however, in my configuration i thought the silver 21" wheels would be TOO much silver/chrome on the car. so i went with the grey carbon 21" wheels.

SIDE NOTE - the most useful thing about this thread is seeing how bad the grey carbon wheels look after a lot of curb-damage. YIKES. :scared: I will no doubt cry myself to sleep the night I bang that shin on a curb. Please tell me they are coming out with a spray or touch-up paint for those wheels!!!