Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Model S Mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
aren't cup holders for the rear seat included in the optional back seat console??

how many cup holders does one need??

I've got two useless ones in the front center arm rest.. so I had to pay $600 to get two usable ones in the front center console... now I've got four up front total...

ole elon sure knows how to milk the cow.....

as far as the back seat passengers.. for $650 they hold their drinks between their legs....

This is very odd. And the Tesla employees that I have talked to all agree and have no explanation:

All of the new refreshed Model S's taut are shipping are shipping with the integrated middle console but it DOES NOT INCLUDE REAR CUPHOLDERS.

All of the new integrated center consoles that are being retrofitted INCLUDE REAR CUPHOLDERS.

This is going to be a big problem for them as I can see many people requesting the console that comes with the car be removed so they can add the retrofitted one with rear cup holders.

Yeah, but the key word is "optional" ... if the damn car just came with two cupholders standard like all other cars in this segment, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Got that right!

Who can we fire for these ridiculous oversights of amenities??

I want the guy who decided no entry/exit assist handles were necessary.... bad....

if I have to hear one more passenger complaint about no assist handles.. I'm driving out to CA with a vengeance...

I can also look for the guy who designed the puny sun visors without lighted mirrors... (no woman would miss that one!)

Custom Tesla Cup Holders | Model S and Model X

front and rear cup holders from 3rd party provider. I have not purchased this, but as soon as I get my car next month (assuming it doesn't come with rear cup holders), I will be getting the set.

Hum.... these really appear to be plastic and attached with Velcro.... I dunno about that. Let us all know what you think about them when you get them. I can see the rear holder, with two drinks in it ripping off under a quick launch. The plastic also seems to cover up the center armrest trim.

There is a reason for the lack of "oh sh*t bars . . . . Massive torque results in driver lead foot, which in turn would cause passengers to grab hold of bars and said force would break bars.

or arms?? a few of my elder passengers really need those assist bars to help them get in and out....

all joking aside::: they've told me to only come by with my Acura's from now on..... standard equipment...

aren't cup holders for the rear seat included in the optional back seat console??

how many cup holders does one need??

I've got two useless ones in the front center arm rest.. so I had to pay $600 to get two usable ones in the front center console... now I've got four up front total...

ole elon sure knows how to milk the cow.....

as far as the back seat passengers.. for $650 they hold their drinks between their legs....

The front seat console with cup holders is now standard and they didn't raise the price of the car when they started including it. According to someone else in this thread it's different from the aftermarket console that used to be in the Tesla store, but it's laid out the same.

I see you have a 2016, but it must have been just before the console became standard.

Got that right!

Who can we fire for these ridiculous oversights of amenities??

I want the guy who decided no entry/exit assist handles were necessary.... bad....

if I have to hear one more passenger complaint about no assist handles.. I'm driving out to CA with a vengeance...

I can also look for the guy who designed the puny sun visors without lighted mirrors... (no woman would miss that one!)

Elon is a big fan of spartan interiors which is why the Model S was so bare from the start. They have been slowly relenting and including creature comforts ever since. The X comes standard with a lot more and the S is slowly getting them.

I totally agree about the grab handles. I have long legs and it helps to crank the suspension up to max height, but getting enough leverage to get out of the car is a bit difficult. Grab handles would help a lot.

Elon is a big fan of spartan interiors which is why the Model S was so bare from the start. They have been slowly relenting and including creature comforts ever since. The X comes standard with a lot more and the S is slowly getting them.

I love minimalist design as much as the next person, but when minimalism comes at the expense of functionality, especially functionality that's been standard on cars for decades, that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: electracity
Pure speculation: Perhaps a new rear seat with center fold down arm rest and cupholders is in development. That would eliminate the need for new cars off the line needing the pop-out style rear cupholders that the Tesla store integrated console comes with (which is meant as a retrofit for older cars). So cars coming off the line are another sort of transition car without any rear cupholders. Again, just speculation but seems to be a logical step in refining the Model S further.

Pure speculation: Perhaps a new rear seat with center fold down arm rest and cupholders is in development. That would eliminate the need for new cars off the line needing the pop-out style rear cupholders that the Tesla store integrated console comes with (which is meant as a retrofit for older cars). So cars coming off the line are another sort of transition car without any rear cupholders. Again, just speculation but seems to be a logical step in refining the Model S further.

That would require additional parts that are used only for the S and not the X. Since it seems to have been confirmed that the center console on the X is the exact same as the S, save for the cupholders, I'm inclined to think that the S will get the same center console soon. Tesla is in extreme manufacturing streamline mode right now.

That would require additional parts that are used only for the S and not the X. Since it seems to have been confirmed that the center console on the X is the exact same as the S, save for the cupholders, I'm inclined to think that the S will get the same center console soon. Tesla is in extreme manufacturing streamline mode right now.

True. But I still wonder why they would make any integrated consoles without the rear pop-out cupholders. In any case, I'm sure we'll find out soon.

True. But I still wonder why they would make any integrated consoles without the rear pop-out cupholders. In any case, I'm sure we'll find out soon.

I think it's more of a case that the non-cupholder design is a legacy design from older model year Ss. For the X, they redesigned the center console and used that redesigned center console from day one. Now they're just using up all existing inventory of the old design after which they'll transition all S cars to the new design. At least that's my guess.