Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Wh/Mile to Miles/kWh (or Wh/Km to Km/kWh) converter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr: miles/kwh converter

Since I got the Model 3, I've been frustrated by the Wh/Mile display. Living with a Leaf since 2012, and living with MPG and the concept of "higher is better" my entire life, the whole idea of Wh/Mile and "lower is better" is completely nutty to me. Maybe the bulk of Tesla owners with an engineering background have just thrown up their hands and said "eh, well, it works" and perhaps came from a bigger conversion of gas->electric, but I'm... I'm electric->electric and it's not going so smoothly.

To my shock and frustration, there seem to be no conversion utilities online, anywhere readily accessible. Google can't convert it, WolframAlpha can convert it but it has to think really hard about it, and there's some painfully awful interface at Aqua-Calc that functions like a slide-rule (go ahead, take the number you have, adjust the table's range to match what you have, then look your number up in the table)...

How about a simple website with a single function - input and output?

Done. miles/kwh converter

Now there's one less thing you can't Google. ;)

ti-1200.jpg

As was mentioned above, the units tell you exactly what to do.

If your units are A/B (that's what "A per B" means) and you want to express it as B/A, simply divide 1 by the value.
  • 4 quarts per gallon -> 1/4 gallons per quart -> .25 gallons per quart
  • .25 gallons per quart -> 1/.25 quarts per gallon -> 4 quarts per gallon
If you need to convert between different ways of stating the same value in different units multiple by the conversion factor
  • 8 quarts * .25 gallons/quart -> 2 quarts*gallons/quarts -> 2 gallons
  • 224 Wh * .001 kWh/Wh -> .224 Wh*kWh/Wh -> .224 kWh
I know some people get frustrated with others on the forum being very pedantic about using proper units (kW vs kWh, etc...). This question is part of why we are sticklers about using proper units. When proper units are used, and knowing a few conversion factors, it's "obvious" what you need to do to make many calculations.

For example, how long would it take me to charge my 75 kWh battery in the Model 3 when charging at 240 Volts and 40 Amps? 240 Volts * 40 Amps is 9,600 Watts or 9.6 kW - plug that into 75 kWh / 9.6 kW -> 7.8 kWh/kW -> 7.8 (kW * h)/kW -> 7.8 (kW/kW) * h -> 7.8 hours - Not a perfect answer to the question (voltage sag, charger inefficiencies, taper, etc...), but it's very close to reality.

Reactions: soupdogs
  • Disagree
Reactions: bwilson4web
tl;dr: miles/kwh converter

Since I got the Model 3, I've been frustrated by the Wh/Mile display. Living with a Leaf since 2012, and living with MPG and the concept of "higher is better" my entire life, the whole idea of Wh/Mile and "lower is better" is completely nutty to me. Maybe the bulk of Tesla owners with an engineering background have just thrown up their hands and said "eh, well, it works" and perhaps came from a bigger conversion of gas->electric, but I'm... I'm electric->electric and it's not going so smoothly.

To my shock and frustration, there seem to be no conversion utilities online, anywhere readily accessible. Google can't convert it, WolframAlpha can convert it but it has to think really hard about it, and there's some painfully awful interface at Aqua-Calc that functions like a slide-rule (go ahead, take the number you have, adjust the table's range to match what you have, then look your number up in the table)...

How about a simple website with a single function - input and output?

Done. miles/kwh converter

Now there's one less thing you can't Google. ;)
That converter is very helpful!

No offense, but all you do is take 1000 and divide it by the Wh/Mi number. No "utility" necessary. No engineering either. High school math.
You effectively made a web page that can divide two numbers.

1000 (kWh/Wh) / 224 (Wh/Mi) = 4.64 Mi/kWh.

I'm on the other side right now with an ELR and using the industry standard miles per kWh (seems like I will be forever the way Tesla is building whit interior). However I have always simply converted Wh per mile and vise versa by dividing to compare. It does beg the question. Why does Tesla use Wh per mile instead of just following the industry miles per kWh standard?

I'm on the other side right now with an ELR and using the industry standard miles per kWh (seems like I will be forever the way Tesla is building whit interior). However I have always simply converted Wh per mile and vise versa by dividing to compare. It does beg the question. Why does Tesla use Wh per mile instead of just following the industry miles per kWh standard?

Because consumption comparisons make way more sense to our monkey brains than efficiency comparisons. Google "MPG illusion".

TL;DR if you add or subtract 10% from your consumption, your costs are affected by the same +/- 10%. Easy. If you do the same with MPG efficiency, what effect does that have on your costs?

I guess. Google will also tell me how to boil water. And it still means I'm a goober if I need to do that.

Google can tell you what temp it boils at at what altitude though ... that's useful :)

I find Google caclulator great to use when converting units and doing math at the same time, like my first example of converting kWh/100mi to Wh/km, it does all the unit conversions for me...
"27 kWh/100mi in Wh/km" = 167.77 Wh/km

Touché on the Imperial vs Metric and I wish we had made the switch. However are ICE cars in Canada rated liters per kilometer or kilometers per liter?

So when talking you will say "I use xx liters per xx kilometers" instead of "xx kilometers per liter"."

Last edited:
Touché on the Imperial vs Metric and I wish we had made the switch. However are ICE cars in Canada rated liters per kilometer or kilometers per liter?

So when talking you will say "I use xx liters per xx kilometers" instead of "xx kilometers per liter"."

Yes, my prior car showed my consumption on the dash in L/100km.

e.g. My prior car used about 8L/100km, my wife’s gas guzzling SUV uses over 12. A hybrid car might be 5-6. In the Model 3 I’ve gotten 159 Wh/km (or a more directly comparable 15.9 kWh/100km).

At $1.50/L and $0.10/kWh I can easily compare and advocate to others ... my last car took 12c to go a km, my wife’s SUV takes 18c or more, and my 3 is under 2c. If we use my 3 for weekend errands now instead of the SUV we save 90% on gas costs (and that’s only if I don’t “gas up” for free at work ;))

Last edited: