Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A round steering wheel is the safest most reliable type of wheel. Everybody knows that. Ever tried backing up a trailer? Your left hand goes on top of the steering wheel.
It's not because you do it, that it is the proper way to do.

In no scenario it is a good way to back up a trailer with just one hand on the top of the wheel.

Most exact positioning and steering is by putting your hands 9 and 3, and if you back up with a trailer you should know that turning further than 90º is ill advised if you're actually trying to back up.

Sorry, I did get my trailer license 2 years ago so it's still all fresh. And 9 and 3 was part of the training, too.

This yoke thing won't be any problem for anyone who's been recently trained in performance driving, and will be a problem for anyone who's used to having the steering wheel slip through their fingers, which is a bad technique.

On top of that, because the yoke is closed at the bottom, it's still possible to take over the wheel for even sharper turns. I can turn full lock left to right without ever touching the top half of the steering wheel. As a matter of fact, using the current advanced driver training techniques, you never touch the top half of your steering wheel.

Reactions: Ron_M3 and bhzmark
Have you driven a refreshed Model S or Model X so you can say, 100% sure, that:

- The little button is NOT the pedestrian warning little bim-bim, and;
- The 'actual horn', aka loud thing, is engaged by hammering onto the center of the yoke?

(Not meant to be too personal, but that's about the normal criticism here: I don't know it, haven't asked for it, so it MUST suck!)
No I haven’t driven it. If you look at the pictures from Tesla you can clearly see a button for the horn. Hammering on the center of the yoke only gets you a sore hand. I never said that the button is the pedestrian warning. That comes on automatically. Do your homework.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Screen-Shot-2021-02-01-at-2.57.36-PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and bhzmark
But if we assume there is a yoke, then we have both the button problem and all the ergonomic problems relative to a wheel that are involved in cranking a yoke two turns from lock to lock. These problems are overcome if the yoke is limited to 90 degree rotation each way: 1/2 turn from lock to lock. If you do that, so that your left hand can always be on the left side of the yoke, then muscle memory of the angle from fingers to thumb would probably let you hit the correct turn signal button even though the yoke is deflected from vertical. Yes I know the Cybertruck allows multiple turns lock-to-lock, but then I believe the twin problems of crossing arms on a yoke and trying to get the buttons right becomes very severe.

This article in Teslarati about the steering yoke being approved in the Netherlands was pointed to in another thread.

Tesla Model S and Model X’s steering yoke approved for use in the Netherlands

It includes this quote from the regulatory authority (the RDW): “Many cars already have a flattened steering wheel at the bottom. Not only does this make getting in easier, but it’s also easier to recognize which position the steering wheel is in. The tendency is that more and more vehicles will have rectangular steering wheels in the future. The number of revolutions from far left to far right is also unregulated. If this is only from -90 to +90 degrees, there is no reason why you have to have an upper rim. Then two handles will suffice,” the RDW said.

I think the clear implication is that Tesla's yoke turns 90 degrees each way, or 1/2 turn from lock to lock, or else why would the regulator say that a yoke will suffice if steering is -90 to +90? As I suggested later on in the post excerpted above, I expect Tesla will implement a highly variable steering ratio for the yoke to be safe at high speed.

Last edited:
Well now, How am I going to be able to mount this on the Yoke.
upload_2021-2-2_19-31-24.png

In the beginning when I ordered my SLR I did not like the yoke concept at all even though I fly one all the time but more and more I like the concept. As for changes, it was not too many decades ago when us yoke pilots chuckled and chafed at the thought of a side-stick controller in an airliner and now many would never go back to a yoke. Sometimes the great steps forward are the most unnatural seeming.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and jmaddr
In the beginning when I ordered my SLR I did not like the yoke concept at all even though I fly one all the time but more and more I like the concept. As for changes, it was not too many decades ago when us yoke pilots chuckled and chafed at the thought of a side-stick controller in an airliner and now many would never go back to a yoke. Sometimes the great steps forward are the most unnatural seeming.
How do you find the left hand sidestick? I'm VERY right-handed and can't use a mouse or the MS centre screen icons with any accuracy. (Australia)
I also see a lot of videos of aircraft landing in crosswind that are very overcontrolled.

>>I learned to fly 24 years ago always using my left hand to fly so whether yoke or side stick it seems more natural than using my right and and I am very right handed as well !<<

Interesting - how about using a mouse (yes. I know the connotations)? And a touchscreen? Both require pretty swift and accurate movements, and I certainly have issues with both. I think an aircraft control yoke is more forgiving in both ways.

It's not because you do it, that it is the proper way to do.

In no scenario it is a good way to back up a trailer with just one hand on the top of the wheel.

Most exact positioning and steering is by putting your hands 9 and 3, and if you back up with a trailer you should know that turning further than 90º is ill advised if you're actually trying to back up.

Sorry, I did get my trailer license 2 years ago so it's still all fresh. And 9 and 3 was part of the training, too.

This yoke thing won't be any problem for anyone who's been recently trained in performance driving, and will be a problem for anyone who's used to having the steering wheel slip through their fingers, which is a bad technique.

On top of that, because the yoke is closed at the bottom, it's still possible to take over the wheel for even sharper turns. I can turn full lock left to right without ever touching the top half of the steering wheel. As a matter of fact, using the current advanced driver training techniques, you never touch the top half of your steering wheel.
Wow. You don’t have a clue.

Reactions: drtimhill
Wow. You don’t have a clue.
Hi, I've done a number of driver training courses for track, rally and security driving. I assume my instructors have a clue.

The yoke wouldn't be compatible with the rally style driving the Peugeot school teaches; they teach to adjust your hands before the corner, in a goal to get your hands 9-to-3 horizontal in the middle of the corner for precision control in the corner. BMW teaches 9-to-3 before the corner, and assumes you can take most corners without repositioning your hands (which is true for most corners). Only for sharper corners (roundabouts, hairpins) they teach hand over hand, and in this case you only grab the bottom of the steering wheel, which is compatible with the yoke.

I'd love to do another driving course, but realistically I enjoy autopilot too much so I'm not that much into spirited driving anymore 😁

Reactions: 2101Guy
I'm sure some vendor will come up with a power knob that makes sharp turns easier. The knob spins so you can just grab it and spin around as much as you want. Very popular on boats and machinery.
Since the only "positive" thing about a yoke is making the car look "cool", adding something that invites comparison with a tractor isn't actually helping the image!

Reactions: TessP100D
Since the only "positive" thing about a yoke is making the car look "cool", adding something that invites comparison with a tractor isn't actually helping the image!

True, but it would make the overall system (yoke + knob) a functional improvement over a round wheel. Easier to make sharp turns and better visibility of the dash. I'm sure someone could design one that didn't look like a tractor knob. Maybe like Darmie suggested just palming the bottom left corner, it could just be a flush disk that spins that you could palm instead of grab.

True, but it would make the overall system (yoke + knob) a functional improvement over a round wheel. Easier to make sharp turns and better visibility of the dash. I'm sure someone could design one that didn't look like a tractor knob. Maybe like Darmie suggested just palming the bottom left corner, it could just be a flush disk that spins that you could palm instead of grab.
I know your joking and this and the stupid yoke.

Reactions: Wol747