Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About Falcon Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
umbrella mode means its at the lowest right?

That's another way of saying partially opening your Falcon Wings Door.

You don't have to raise them fully and passengers are still able to exit and stand on the road but inside the Falcon Wings Door as if it's an umbrella protecting you from the rain.

I'm 5'5" (1.6 meters) and with my falcon wing doors partially open in my garage, I could exit and stand under it!

The Falcon Wings Doors remember how high you allow them to open at a GPS location so theoretically, you only need to manually stop it from hitting your ceiling ONCE in your garage and it will automatically remember that forever so you don't have to manually remind it to stop hitting your garage ever!

That's automatic umbrella mode!

That's another way of saying partially opening your Falcon Wings Door.
You don't have to raise them fully and passengers are still able to exit and stand on the road but inside the Falcon Wings Door as if it's an umbrella protecting you from the rain.

I'm 5'5" (1.6 meters) and with my falcon wing doors partially open in my garage, I could exit and stand under it!
The Falcon Wings Doors remember how high you allow them to open at a GPS location so theoretically, you only need to manually stop it from hitting your ceiling ONCE in your garage and it will automatically remember that forever so you don't have to manually remind it to stop hitting your garage ever!
That's automatic umbrella mode!

re: underlined part of quote --- remember that you can hold the FWD open button down for a second and it will beep telling you that it is overriding. ie. if it stopped 1' short and you want to raise it another 8"

I agree with the other comments that the OP's concern is valid and that you have to be careful. Here's a ferry ramp causing our first paint chip... Lesson learned.

45B1DC30-A5B7-4A45-8893-2C9B553A243E.jpeg
04582884-9CE4-499E-937C-5B8B892EB672.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
thank you all, i've just got my X for a few days, the doors works perfectly, they opens fine in my garage, i've tested 1000 times now ,not once hit anything. apart from being poorly painted, anything else fanfreakingtastique, all my family love it so much that other two cars left cold in the garage

only one thing bothers me a little, i did not purchase AP and FSD due to not being pre-equipped HW3, i think i made a right choice cos elon muck never give a specific plan about how to upgrade HW3 in the future by buying FSD, well i should be excited about the new baby instead of thinking of this
111.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Tam and IdaX
...did not purchase AP and FSD...

I am so happy for your family and you. Congratulations!

I wouldn't worry about the lack of AP/FSD. I drove manually for decades then with simple cruise for 6 years and 100,000 miles on my 2012 Model S.

In addition, you can order them over-the-air later.

If you only plan AP, there's no need for more powerful computing such as HW3.

AP only has 2 features:

1) TAAC (smart cruise)
2) AutoSteer

Those two features don't even need all 8 cameras because of no Auto Lane Change to watch for speeding cars from behind.

If you think about FSD, then sure, you need all 8 cameras and will need more computing power such HW3.

I am so happy for your family and you. Congratulations!

I wouldn't worry about the lack of AP/FSD. I drove manually for decades then with simple cruise for 6 years and 100,000 miles on my 2012 Model S.

In addition, you can order them over-the-air later.

If you only plan AP, there's no need for more powerful computing such as HW3.

AP only has 2 features:

1) TAAC (smart cruise)
2) AutoSteer

Those two features don't even need all 8 cameras because of no Auto Lane Change to watch for speeding cars from behind.

If you think about FSD, then sure, you need all 8 cameras and will need more computing power such HW3.
thank u, few days later im still in exciting mode, what a perfect family car!
i think ill just upgrade to hw3.0 when FSD is fully functional in China, no biggie