Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About Falcon Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
greetings to all model x owners
as you know model x costs a lot less in China since 1st march(about 40%cheaper, 100d costs only 778000rmb),so i went into a store to check it out for the second time, the fisrt time was back in early 2017. I found that i could get another 73000CNY discount and interest-free loan for 2 years, so i finally let elon take my wallet.Now I'm super excited and eager to get my Tesla delivered tomorrow but here is my concern about the falcon doors

my garage's height is not so tall, and there is a bean just above where the falcon doors should be, i'm super worried about the doors could not be able to detect the roof and the beam due to its complicated shape there, i've shared my concern with my salesmen, none of them could give me an answer. anyone here has the same situation?

this is my garage, the left part is about 2.1m, the beam is about 2.2m, and the highest at the right is 2.3m, the door will be just under the red circle.
a9of9d.jpg

from another angle

autnqg.jpg

We were worried the x would not even fit in our garage. The salesperson drove a demo to our house and we test fitted in our garage before we ordered the car. Maybe your sales person would do the same.
all they want is to push me to get the car and close the deal , the service in China is not comparable to the US, they've just gave me some vague answers after ive shared my concerns several times

...vague answers...

There's no question that the sensor would think that there's more height in the ceiling but in real life, it's only true directly above and not true on its sides, front and back.

Thus, your concerns are valid.

However, that wouldn't prevent me from getting an X.

My garage door has a black metal bar that could puncture the Falcon Wing Door glass.

Even if I escape that black metal bar, Falcon Wing Doors would hit the white garage door on top.

6mXIzc3.jpg

And I have mine since 2017 or more than 2 years with no problem.

The trick is to see how it fits in the garage and take action as necessary.

In my case, I never allow automatic opening. I get out of the car first and manually stop the door from hitting obstacles.

Back to your garage. There's no way knowing until you try it out:

1) Park your Model X in the center. Not under Front Beam, Not under Rear Beam but between them.

Not too close to the left, not too close to the right, but do park between the highest ceiling height.

2) Make sure you are outside and ready to stop the door from hitting obstacles.

8MrhpMb.jpg

It's possible that you have enough clearance on left and right for your doors to lift up without touching the wall on the left.

It's possible that the doors will fit right into the highest portion of the ceiling without hitting front beam, rear beam, left ceiling edge and right ceiling edge.

If that won't work, then you just have to manually stop it from hitting obstacles.

Good luck!

I have similar height and width garage constrictions. In 2.5 years of ownership I have opened the rear doors 4 times inside, 3 times the sensors worked and once hit the wall - though very very gently.

Personally when space is that tight I don't risk it, especially if your having to do it every day. Just unload the passengers before you park, I tell my family they have legs for a reason and to use them to walk the extra 10 meters!!

Oh you should be super excited, its a fab car, I just try not to think how much it cost :).

38620689301_236f0dec83_z_d.jpg

Reactions: KerryOH
the left part is about 2.1m, the beam is about 2.2m, and the highest at the right is 2.3m, the door will be just under the red circle.

It looks like you could make it. I crudely measured the sides as 71cm each side and 196cm each height.

You should bring your own measure tape and see if my measurements are correct.

If not, you don't have to open the doors completely. Rear passengers still exit even in a partial opening but it has to manually open.

Good luck!

lo58ih4.jpg

There's no question that the sensor would think that there's more height in the ceiling but in real life, it's only true directly above and not true on its sides, front and back.

Thus, your concerns are valid.

However, that wouldn't prevent me from getting an X.

My garage door has a black metal bar that could puncture the Falcon Wing Door glass.

Even if I escape that black metal bar, Falcon Wing Doors would hit the white garage door on top.

6mXIzc3.jpg

And I have mine since 2017 or more than 2 years with no problem.

The trick is to see how it fits in the garage and take action as necessary.

In my case, I never allow automatic opening. I get out of the car first and manually stop the door from hitting obstacles.

Back to your garage. There's no way knowing until you try it out:

1) Park your Model X in the center. Not under Front Beam, Not under Rear Beam but between them.

Not too close to the left, not too close to the right, but do park between the highest ceiling height.

2) Make sure you are outside and ready to stop the door from hitting obstacles.

8MrhpMb.jpg

It's possible that you have enough clearance on left and right for your doors to lift up without touching the wall on the left.

It's possible that the doors will fit right into the highest portion of the ceiling without hitting front beam, rear beam, left ceiling edge and right ceiling edge.

If that won't work, then you just have to manually stop it from hitting obstacles.

Good luck!
thnk u so much, its extremely helpful, nothing can stop me from getting this car thats why i never share my concerns with my wife...just buy it get it then solve it

I have similar height and width garage constrictions. In 2.5 years of ownership I have opened the rear doors 4 times inside, 3 times the sensors worked and once hit the wall - though very very gently.

Personally when space is that tight I don't risk it, especially if your having to do it every day. Just unload the passengers before you park, I tell my family they have legs for a reason and to use them to walk the extra 10 meters!!

Oh you should be super excited, its a fab car, I just try not to think how much it cost :).

38620689301_236f0dec83_z_d.jpg
i have slightly different situation than yours as i have enough space on the side ,just not up there.
i have 2 children so even im being careful i worried they wounldnt be, cos sometimes my wife would pick'em up from school and listening to me is never her strong suit, as well as my kids

i, of course would be super hyped ,other wise i wouldnt be sooooo happy when my wife bumped our Honda Odessey the other day, it only took us 2 hours to sell it and to buy Model X. also sold the 2012 range rover the next day cant stand the old people car anymore .

im acturally happy about the price , cos ive almost bought it back in 2017 when it was at the highst rate, remember i have another discount of 73000cny, about 10% off its current dropped price, if it was 2017 i would pay almost twice

It looks like you could make it. I crudely measured the sides as 71cm each side and 196cm each height.

You should bring your own measure tape and see if my measurements are correct.

If not, you don't have to open the doors completely. Rear passengers still exit even in a partial opening but it has to manually open.

Good luck!

lo58ih4.jpg
ok thank you i would stand outside and carefully watch them open, if not ill just make the roof all flat

With the highest part being ~7ft, the door will most likely automatically open in umbrella mode, so I doubt you'd have any issue.
THIS. I have several issues in my garage. They partially open up. When I got the X, I put it where I was going to park it and opened each door. Sensors worked. Any possible contact I put padding just in case the door sensors failed (software, dirt, etc).

Reactions: Helmuth
The X is now pretty conservative in any garage. Definitely watch it carefully the first time and be ready to grab the door forcefully to stop it if necessary, just to be sure. It will stop if you grab it.

The only problem I've ever had was in a parking garage. We were so used to overriding the FWD to open it higher that we did it without really checking overhead and it hit a pipe. One little chip in the paint.

I also have a tight garage with a similar beam on one side. I have owned the x for last two years and never had any problems. If I have adults in the car, I stop in the driveway to let the passengers out. My kids know not to open the falcon wing door from inside the car if the car is inside the garage. If the car is inside the garage and the doors need to open, I always stand next to it so that I can stop the door if it's going to hit anything. So far it has always stopped at the right height.