Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True story...........I was supposed to take delivery of my new P85+ performance loaded at the end of September. The car arrived with a huge crease in the hood and cracks in the A pillar. I agreed to let the service center send it out to get repaired. The car returned yesterday and did not meet Tesla's standards, so I was left with two choices a new car or get my money back. They had reserved a production slot for the beginning of November in case a replacement was needed. I have elected to take a replacement. The DS in Milford/Mt.Kisco stated that there are new "features" to be announced today and that my new car for the November production would be eligable for these new "options" Needless to say I have elected to go ahead and take the November slot. Also to state the obvious he confirmed all but AWD but gave me wink. I have to admidt I am so disappointed in Tesla holding 141k of my money with no solution other then an early build however I am excited for the new toys!!!!!!!! Here is a picture of the hood and pillars by the way.

This all but confirms AWD for me and Driver Assist with the acknowledgement from someone at Tesla

IMG_1960.jpg

Some more stuff from the same source:
"SR01":{
"category":"C_OPTS",
"name":"Standard 2nd row",
},
"SR02":{
"category":"C_OPTS",
"name":"Executive 2nd row",
},

So I guess the guesses for a 4-seat version are not that far off...

Yup, the reddit stuff found in the javascript very much hints to what today's announcement is going to be:

1. D=Dual motor=AWD Model S

2. Option of executive back seat (4-seater)

This could explain why when asked about "the other letter", he started talking about the old "Model E" stuff. Perhaps the other letter would be E for Executive? Except I don't see that as particularly obvious, and he said "I would have said the other thing but it would have been too obvious."

True story...........I was supposed to take delivery of my new P85+ performance loaded at the end of September. The car arrived with a huge crease in the hood and cracks in the A pillar. I agreed to let the service center send it out to get repaired. The car returned yesterday and did not meet Tesla's standards, so I was left with two choices a new car or get my money back. They had reserved a production slot for the beginning of November in case a replacement was needed. I have elected to take a replacement. The DS in Milford/Mt.Kisco stated that there are new "features" to be announced today and that my new car for the November production would be eligable for these new "options" Needless to say I have elected to go ahead and take the November slot. Also to state the obvious he confirmed all but AWD but gave me wink. I have to admidt I am so disappointed in Tesla holding 141k of my money with no solution other then an early build however I am excited for the new toys!!!!!!!! Here is a picture of the hood and pillars by the way.

This all but confirms AWD for me and Driver Assist with the acknowledgement from someone at Tesla

Did you ask pricing for the new features\options or do you get them for free?

None of this answer the question " current drivers will be able to just turn it on". This would include all model s built. Elon will end up with bad press if only for new cars when he stated current drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

So the day is here.

Anyway for us to watch the news with the world like Apple presentations or do we just need to wait until some auto website writes an article?

Tesla usually live streams the event. Check on the tesla investor page on tesla motors.com

If I remember correctly, Tesla initially wanted to build the Roadster with an automated two gear gearbox.
Link: Breaking: Tesla has a solution for their transmission woes: get rid of it!
I never understood this topic as for my knowledge a huge advantage of electric motors over ICE is that energy consumption does not depend that much on the rev output.
There must have been some reason for for the initial two-gear gearbox, maybe someone with more knowledge of this topic?

I'm no expert but intuitively the motor must have some sort of efficiency graph that's not completely uniform.. at the very least it would drop off at some very high RPM otherwise there would be no gearing at all. Assuming there's some sort of trade off, then it's quite plausible that two differently geared motors could provide more energy optimized driving at different speeds.

None of this answer the question " current drivers will be able to just turn it on". This would include all model s built. Elon will end up with bad press if only for new cars when he stated current drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla usually live streams the event. Check on the tesla investor page on tesla motors.com

The new sensor suite and ACC stalk hardware has been in some recent production cars.. would definitely fit the hint that it's "already there"

@Lump I was told they will be available. I assume there will be some charge for AWD and not any for the sensor package, but I was led to believe the AWD will be minimal if anything. Again this is coming from Tesla. Just wished they could have delivered a proper car, however I guess I benefit in the end. (I HOPE)

If the AWD can greatly increase freeway range, that would be a very big deal. Still, if I remember correctly from Tesla's graphs, wind resistance was the bulk of the energy cost at speed, not motor inefficiency.

Hmm, Tesla seems to have changed their blog structure. I can't see the old blogs to hunt down the graphs. I'm sure they're there though since the Tesla Secret Master Plan is there if you Google.
Not sure if this is what you mean re: graphs:
Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors

Master Plan is here:
The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) | Blog | Tesla Motors

Juding by the code that referred to the AWD as free, my guess is that it is free, just as the spoiler and red brake calipers are free. In other words, AWD may well be bundled with the Performance options.

I don't think it will be free on all cars, as that would render the letter designation "D" quite superfluous.

Juding by the code that referred to the AWD as free, my guess is that it is free, just as the spoiler and red brake calipers are free. In other words, AWD may well be bundled with the Performance options.

I don't think it will be free on all cars, as that would render the letter designation "D" quite superfluous.
Quoted for general context...

I don't think I've heard it mentioned so I'll offer it up for consideration. The wider wheels / staggered stance of the Plus package may not be needed and might be counterproductive for an AWD offering. As such, the "P85D" might replace the "P85+" offering entirely. I'm sure lola and a few others will explain why it's obvious that I'm totally wrong. :)