Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to order, a couple of questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't dismiss new (but used) inventory as if you're happy to take a car thats a few months old and a with a few miles on it, you can often get a bit of a discount, possibly making a 100D the same price as a 75D thats without a discount and the warranty, referral etc are all the same as a new car. If you're taking finance and want to hand the car back, the future value is based on a % of the list price before discount which means the discount comes off the monthlies saving you money.

Trouble is finding them as Tesla don't real everything, look at tesla-info or ev-cpo websites as they both list UK cars.

FSD - I wouldn't bother, you will have sold the car before it appears in a meaningful way.

Referral - as others have said, I'd pick someone who's helpful or local. The rewards can take forever to arrive and someone gifting their referral is contrary to Tesla rules. The early rewards are worth a few hundred, but as you get to higher numbers they become several thousand dollars to the person referring. Both the websites above have referral codes on them, PM anyone who's helped you for there's or just do a lucky dip.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hey Dublin

Another Dub here. Feel free to PM me - I picked up my 75D MS in March so will happy to give you a steer. Also happy to share my Sandyford experiences. I'm southside based so if you are near by, you are welcome to swing by and have a good poke around the car.

P

Hi I find my 75D range is not a problem even going from Glasgow to London via a couple of superchargers i wouldn't waste my money on the 100D .almost same performance as well.
I couldn't afford autopilot or fsd at the time of purchase so probably don't know what I'm missing anyway.

Free supercharging is very valuable if you don't have a house with a decent solar and battery setup. The supercharger network is designed for long distance travel or for use by people who don't have parking with charging available at home. Even if you do charge at home, which is far more convenient as the car charges while you sleep, you will probably still find yourself using the supercharger more than 400kwh per year. I could use 400kwh in two days.
If you don't intend to supercharge more than 400kwh per year, I would wait to see what they announce for Model S after the 15th.
Also keep in mind that you cannot sell your car with free unlimited supercharging at any stage in the future like the old AP1 cars (and some early AP2 cars)
75D S will give you max of around 380km (100% soc) of real range so you should be fine in Ireland.
Seems like you have local codes above but please ask for my code if you require

Isn’t it quicker through the ranges of speed too
I've definitely found the accelrration of my 90D and a loaner 100D to be quicker in all ranges compared to the 75D even though the 0-60 performance figures are the same, think the 400 voltage of the 90D,100D are more giving the extra oomph compared to 350v in the 75. However have driven a 75D uncorked and that was very quick perhaps the fact that car had the coil suspension!

Last edited:
I've definitely found the accelrration of my 90D and a loaner 100D to be quicker in all ranges compared to the 75D even though the 0-60 performance figures are the same, think the 400 voltage of the 90D,100D are more giving the extra oomph compared to 350v in the 75. However have driven a 75D uncorked and that was very quick perhaps the fact that car had the coil suspension!
I had a 75D which I had uncorked and yes they're fast. I've sold it and ordered a new 75D, hoping it is as quick at the 75DU.
The uncorking process used the 85D program but the actual 75D car is about 100kg lighter than the 85D so that could explain it being quicker.
The 90D and early 100D will not do 0-60 in 3.6 as far as I know, it's only the updated new battery 100D that does 3.6 but I know they new battery cars were uncorked OTA to 3.6 so maybe Tesla also uncorked the 90D but I can't confirm that.

Isn’t it quicker through the ranges of speed too? And the extra miles would be nice, part of me wishes I had gone for 100D
I'm not sure but the 75D will not disappoint anywhere in the 0-120kmh range. I ordered another 75D because I don't see the point in spending money on batteries while their cost is decreasing. I was actually happy when my car was a 60D as I would charge to 100% all the time at decent SC speed.
The big 100kwh packs are really for people who drive long distance regularly, there is really no benefit if you drive less than 300km per day... remember the car is fully charged every morning when you wake up.

I see the validity of the arguments regarding 75 vs 100. I live in the U.S. and personally went with the 100D a couple of months ago. Whether some features of future FSD are made available in August (use of more cameras, etc..), or what happens in one more day with the referral program; no one knows.

You may find yourself driving more than you intended once you get your Tesla. We also like the peace of mind in running climate control while away from the car and not worrying about range depletion. The 100D also has a more powerful charger than the 75D.

I also considered that the car would last longer with the 100D battery because I would be cycling the batteries much less with the larger capacity. I tend to keep cars for 10+ years.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg. and Penfold
I see the validity of the arguments regarding 75 vs 100. I live in the U.S. and personally went with the 100D a couple of months ago. Whether some features of future FSD are made available in August (use of more cameras, etc..), or what happens in one more day with the referral program; no one knows.

You may find yourself driving more than you intended once you get your Tesla. We also like the peace of mind in running climate control while away from the car and not worrying about range depletion. The 100D also has a more powerful charger than the 75D.

I also considered that the car would last longer with the 100D battery because I would be cycling the batteries much less with the larger capacity. I tend to keep cars for 10+ years.
You make some great points

free supercharging is only meaningful if you regularly use them.

I supercharge more than you but even so ... its not really worth anything substantive to me.

... I do 27,000 miles p.a. and (according to TeslaFi) 12% of my lifetime charging came from Superchargers. So that's about 80-quid off my annual Leccy bill ... not even enough to buy a decent meal for Wifee and I. If I had to pay for Supercharging it wouldn't really make any difference to me ... I mean ... I'm driving around in a 100-grand car in the first place.

Free supercharging is very valuable if you don't have a house with a decent solar and battery setup

Beware that after a certain number of Supercharges then the Supercharge rate drops (to protect the battery), so its not ideal as an alternative to home, or other L2, charging.

1. The salesman reckoned hold-off on full self-drive, that it will be a couple of years at least and if it does happen i can just pay for the upgrade then. Sounds sensible, is there anything to be gained from paying for the FSD at this stage?

There is the price difference, if purchased later, as others have said. I have also seen people saying they are happy to pay for FSD to "sponsor" Tesla in the development.

3. will I suffer from range anxiety in Ireland? From abetteroutefinder I reckon I can go to my Mam's and back on one charge; longest journey would be to Kerry a couple of times a year, 15 minutes at the Birdhill supercharger would do the job. It doesn't seem worth an extra 28k to upgrade to the 100.

Equating the price difference to the extra miles of range is not the whole story and, yes,m looks jolly expensive "per kWh of extra battery" But start with Rule Number One: if you don't need the bigger battery then don't buy it.

Bigger battery charges faster. They all do 10% to 70% in the same time, and at a linear rate. Then they taper and slow down a bit to 80% and a lot the closer to 100% you get. So a bigger battery gets more miles charging 10% to 70% than a smaller one. In the same time.

So you leave home at 100% on your "out of range" journey. The 100 goes further before you have to charge, so that might get you there and back without a charge at all, where a 75 would not.

In cold weather, or torrential rain, you might use 20% more energy than a nice summer's day. So, again, that might make the difference between charging, and not having to.

You'll leave, say, 20 miles for "comfort". That's a bigger percentage of a 75 battery than a 100 battery.

In a 100 you might be able to choose different Superchargers and avoid a detour. Clearly not in Ireland ... or at least not yet!

Let's say that both the 75 and the 100 stop at the same supercharger. The 100 has 1/3rd more range, so is not only going to charge faster, it needs less to reach the destination.

I Supercharge on about two days a month. I'm sure its very subjective ... and I have no idea how far the other 75's are going ... but even when I charge to 80% I find that there are still 75's there when I leave, who were there when I arrived. So they must be having to charge into the taper 90% range to make their destination. Or they are scrounging ... but my time is more precious than the cost of electricity, and I expect that theirs is too.

Given that Superchargers in Ireland are scarce, and apart from the fact that you don't think you will drive other longer distance routes, there might be case for having more range so that you can just "drive off wherever the fancy takes you."

But refer to Rule Number One: only but it if you need it :)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply; plenty of food for thought in your replies.
I hadn't thought about the value of the supercharging, less hassled by it now. Does one receive a free allowance annually anyway?
Performance not really an issue for me (I don't drive hard at all),

Thank you all for taking the time to reply; plenty of food for thought in your replies.
I hadn't thought about the value of the supercharging, less hassled by it now. Does one receive a free allowance annually anyway?

You get 400kWh a year, which is about 1,000 miles. I’m sure the free Supercharging will continue as it has done in the past.

Interesting the price of the car just necame a bit cheaper, if you were going to order it with PUP. More expensive if you didn’t want it.

Yes you will get 400kwh annually. I have just returned from a road trip to France , Le Mans and Normandy all using just the amazing supercharging network. Made the trip effortless as usually and totally free!

Unless you are up and down to Cork, Limerick or Belfast regularly - there is no value in supercharging in Ireland. For sure, if/when the network develops, there will be - but right now - nada..