Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC fan running - not charging and parked in cool garage, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not drive my car at all yesterday, opened my iOS app once to check on charge level and a couple hours after that was in the garage and could hear a fan that sounds like it is coming from near the top of the frunk near the wind screen. Mirrors were folded in and I peaked in the window and screen was off so I don't think it unlocked or thought I was getting in.

Garage was about 80 degrees and the car has not been plugged into a charger for several days. I know the fan can run to cool the battery and as cabin overheat protection but is there a known explanation of other times it would kick on, or is there perhaps a fault somewhere?

I checked my TeslaFi log and it shows 23 hours 16 minutes of sleep and 41 minutes of idle with .14 and .1 kWh loss respectively. The details in TeslaFi regarding the Idle period say the fan was off the whole time-I'm not sure if the idle time overlaps my being in the garage-will check if it happens again.

No idea how long it ran or if this could be happening at other times.

Running 2019.32.2.1

Interested to hear what the explanation could be.

What it could be? Was this occurring about the time you are normally departing to work or play? It could be Pre-conditioning is turned on to ready your car (A/C and/or battery warm up before you depart. Its anticipating your departure. Check you settings.

It also might be, the battery was warm/getting hot because of the weather and the fan/coolant pump that helps regulate battery turned it self on.

It would be a good idea to read the manual even a little at a time.

This has been happening to me after 2019.32.11 with local temps in the 50’s. After waiting 90 minutes on hold, the Tesla support person said the fan cycling is a relatively new “feature” in software for battery thermal management. They’ve been getting lots of calls about this.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Did not drive my car at all yesterday, opened my iOS app once to check on charge level and a couple hours after that was in the garage and could hear a fan that sounds like it is coming from near the top of the frunk near the wind screen. Mirrors were folded in and I peaked in the window and screen was off so I don't think it unlocked or thought I was getting in.

Garage was about 80 degrees and the car has not been plugged into a charger for several days. I know the fan can run to cool the battery and as cabin overheat protection but is there a known explanation of other times it would kick on, or is there perhaps a fault somewhere?

I checked my TeslaFi log and it shows 23 hours 16 minutes of sleep and 41 minutes of idle with .14 and .1 kWh loss respectively. The details in TeslaFi regarding the Idle period say the fan was off the whole time-I'm not sure if the idle time overlaps my being in the garage-will check if it happens again.

No idea how long it ran or if this could be happening at other times.

Running 2019.32.2.1

Interested to hear what the explanation could be.

The car maintains the battery temp no matter what.

Its not an ICE car as an ICE car is off when it is off. Tesla's are NEVER off.

There is also the new thing where the car dries out the condenser area using air to avoid having that foul smell from sitting water.

There is also the new thing where the car dries out the condenser area using air to avoid having that foul smell from sitting water.
Yeah. That. Starting a couple of releases ago, I now notice a fan on when I merely walk through the garage to go get my bike or take out the compost. I assume it’s staying dry, since it’ll do it at times when it’s definitely not hot.

Yeah. That. Starting a couple of releases ago, I now notice a fan on when I merely walk through the garage to go get my bike or take out the compost. I assume it’s staying dry, since it’ll do it at times when it’s definitely not hot.

Indeed.

If I was a COP....I would respond to this thread as. "Keep it moving - nothing to see here - everything is fine".

Just kidding.

Its a legitimate concern. I just couldn't resist.

I will notice my car doing this as well, only if I have been using the ac during the last drive. What’s interesting is if I hear it running and open the door...car turns on..and then close the door...the ac fan will not turn back on. It also doesn’t turn on after every drive the AC has been in use. If I had to guess it happens more often on shorter drives and when the outside temp isn’t even that high...which is odd as well.

Just had this also. It's not a particularly warm day today, but the A/C was on on my way home. Around a 6 mile drive. After getting home I went back outside around 30 mins later and there was a fan noise from around the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side (my car is RHD).

I checked my phone and the climate control wasn't on and the cabin temp was supposedly 22C. The car was in the evening sun but 22C isn't exactly warm. I opened the door and the fan stopped. Closed it and the car locked but the fan didn't start again.

Checked the app a couple minutes later and the interior temp was 23C, so maybe whatever the fan was doing was keeping the cabin temps lower?

Don't have any preconditioning set for that time of day though. Seems odd, unless it was drying out the AC or something. But half an hour seems like a long time to dry it out. Also, weird that opening and closing the door would stop it if it's doing something important.