Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC killing mileage, defective heat pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You missed the point. There is no need to be efficient trip. All we need to measure a delta between drive with AC and without. It’s called differential method in engineering. Momental energy consumption is all what we need

I just reset the Trip B meter. it gives the instant wh/mile just like you would get on the instrumentation of an S/X.

I've spent quite a few hours running tests at different speeds, AC / no AC, aeros / no aeros. I have several long, low traffic stretches of road to use and the numbers have been pretty consistent. some areas have an almost imperceptible slight incline to them that will result in maybe 10wh/mile difference. ie I'll get 230 going one direction and then 210 coming back (model 3 SR+).

*Octovalve

M3: Introduces Superbottle (leaves gassers and other BEVs behind)
MY: Introduces Octovalve (leaving gassers and other BEVs further behind)

Uh oh.. Better cue up the FUD--"The Octovalve on the MY is the worst AC evar! 50% range loss!" :rolleyes:

(TSLA: $2278/sh)

I have about 600 miles on my. Mileage bad, had Tesla remote battery check, Tesla said all good. Mileage decreasing.

Took 6 mile test run. 50 mph via cruise control. Ac set at 71, fan speed 6. wh 341, projected range 150. Return trip same, but ac and fan off, wh 175, peojected range 381.

Is anyone experiencing ac effecting range by 50%?

6 miles is not a long enough test drive to determine anything at all. The initial high consumption of getting the cabin down to temperature will skew your data significantly.

Same thing with winter. New owners will take a 5 mile drive and complain about using 10+ miles of energy because the cabin had to be brought up to temperature. Route, elevation and wind will also affect consumption.

My Y driving the same way (pretty much same tirip). With AC off is around 250-280 wi/mi and with the AC on (at 72) is between 380-460 wi/mi
Even on the freeway at 70mph, No AC 270-280 wi/mi and with AC its 450 wi/mi

We just did a 700 mile drive with the first 400 miles in 100+ weather topping out at 118. AC killed our mileage unsurprisingly. Just to keep the cabin comfortable, it was blasting at max.

Unfortunately for my family I had spreadsheets for the trip with planned consumption (ABRP) per segment. I captured actual consumption as well. Without going into all the data, we saw 10%, 17%, and 30% increase in consumption as temps increased from 90 to 100 to 118.

Day 2 was a lot cooler and in the mountains, we opened the windows and enjoyed the view. Consumption fell significantly beating ABRP by 10%.

We just did a 700 mile drive with the first 400 miles in 100+ weather topping out at 118. AC killed our mileage unsurprisingly. Just to keep the cabin comfortable, it was blasting at max.

Unfortunately for my family I had spreadsheets for the trip with planned consumption (ABRP) per segment. I captured actual consumption as well. Without going into all the data, we saw 10%, 17%, and 30% increase in consumption as temps increased from 90 to 100 to 118.

Day 2 was a lot cooler and in the mountains, we opened the windows and enjoyed the view. Consumption fell significantly beating ABRP by 10%.

How is that unfortunate for your family? Did you calculate segment consumption using expected temperature or use a fixed temperature for the whole trip? Your consumption increase seems appropriate given the outside temperature.

FWIW, I did some testing today to see if I could figure out how much power the AC uses. All 4 tires at 44, SOC about 82%, outside temp 97, inside temp for the 1st loop 72 on automatic. The car was cooled down before I started. I drove an 11.5 mile loop, mostly freeway at 68 mph, out and back on the same roads. With the AC running, I used 3 kWh at 291 wh/mile. Then I drove the same route with the AC turned off (hot!) and got 3 kWh and 253 wh/mile. So almost 50 wh/mile for AC, or 15%.

I immediately did the same thing with my Model 3 and got 275 wh/mile with AC, 254 without, a difference of only 21 wh/mile, about 8%. I gotta wonder - is this due to the larger cabin volume, the different cooling technology, or a problem with the car? Or maybe a combination? What are others seeing?

First cool day here in a long time and I took an hour long drive down to OC and back. I was surprised at the efficiency when the a/c isn't working so hard. Normally, I'd get 275 Wh/mi but today I was getting an average of 225 Wh/mi. That puts me very close to our EPA range!