Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safety and security
Cabin overheat protection

Set to No A/C

Note that this setting the cabin heat may exceed 105 degrees.

Hope that helps.

Vin
I checked all four cars this morning and realized why I couldn't find the setting. It looks like the No A/C setting is only on the Model 3. Neither S or the X had the option. Oh well.

Attachments

• 20190706_123900.jpg
    20190706_123900.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 15624458108367032836876151274996.jpg
    15624458108367032836876151274996.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Did my 2nd application of Klima today. This time I made sure to shake the can well before and shook the can while applying. This time I filled up the cavity with foam and it was running out of the cabin filter box, so hopefully a better job than last time. I waited the 20 minutes and applied a 2nd can, then waited another 20 minutes before running the fans on high per the directions.

I wasn’t able to replace the cabin filter, my service center has them on backorder. :( So I will have to wait on that part.

I am providing more info about this smell vs the fresh air filtration. I have a model S and only the outside air is filtered and I confirmed the filter in the frunk. The X has it in the same place. But the 3 has the filters in the cabin near the evaporator. I stand by my claims as my experience has not been with a model 3. I now prefer the arrangement in the S or X due to its location and size.

Reactions: Sam G
I am providing more info about this smell vs the fresh air filtration. I have a model S and only the outside air is filtered and I confirmed the filter in the frunk. The X has it in the same place. But the 3 has the filters in the cabin near the evaporator. I stand by my claims as my experience has not been with a model 3. I now prefer the arrangement in the S or X due to its location and size.
Well good for you, but this is the Model 3 sub-forum. :p

Yea exactly what Eno Deb says....your theory on why recirculation doesn't get filtered and therefore contaminates the system is only relevant to your vehicle not the the subforum thread you are providing advice on which obviously makes little sense

I just talked to Tesla service and she said that they have a new procedure/process for this and it's less than a month since they have been doing it. They will do the evaporator cleaning for $110. They will check the filter and if it needs to be replaced that is an additional ~$80. They also said via text "Additionally, a firmware update will soon run the HVAC blower after the vehicle shut down to dry off condensation from the evaporator."

We will see when they come out on 7/29 to fix the problem!

I used the Kool-it cleaner the first time and I ran out of cleaner 3/4 of the way through. Though no as strong, the smell returned after a week so I used the Klima cleaner yesterday. It's a much bigger can for about the same price, so I highly suggest going through the trouble to get it online rather than buying Kool-it from O'rielly. Hopefully after the second application I'll rid of the smell for good.

Timely thread. The past few days I've noticed a stink in my car for the first few minutes of driving. The worst was after driving to a friend's house to drop something off, leaving the car sit in the driveway for 5-10 minutes, then getting back in. I guess cleaning the evaporator it is!

Iv'e also gone out to the garage a couple times over the weekend after driving and noticed the car running some portion of the HVAC. Maybe this is the software changed described to dry the HVAC after use.

I had my 3 in for service for the musty smell on startup today. They replaced both air filters and cleaned the HVAC system (smoked it, to use their terminology). Certainly smells good for now.

Edit for further info: I'm an early VIN (22XXX) and did have the car for at least a few summer months before the firmware change to run the HVAC for awhile after the car shuts off. Hopefully I'm good to go from here.

I had my 3 in for service for the musty smell on startup today. They replaced both air filters and cleaned the HVAC system (smoked it, to use their terminology). Certainly smells good for now.

Edit for further info: I'm an early VIN (22XXX) and did have the car for at least a few summer months before the firmware change to run the HVAC for awhile after the car shuts off. Hopefully I'm good to go from here.
Did they charge you?

Yes, I paid $17 each for the two air filters plus a small amount of labor (total was $65). I probably could have pressed for it to be free, but at 18,000 miles I don't mind the filter replacement and this way if any smell comes back soon I have a clear-cut case for them to resolve it gratis.
I scheduled an appointment with mobile service but they wanted $140 to replace the filters. I can just do it myself.