Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought closed cell foam was "generally" rigid? I guess I could spray the heck out of it next time and attach my hook and see if liquid squishes out of it. Anything that holds liquid is an issue.
Closed cell foam can be squishy as well. For a part like this, I would want to use a silicone closed cell foam gasket around the evaporator. Not sure what Tesla used, but it didn't look like closed-cell foam.

Just a thought, has anyone tried spraying peroxide on the evaporator? Or via the intake? Would it damage anything? It’s pretty innocuous and does a good job of getting rid of mildew.

If you spray anything from the intake, the solution will hit the air filter and not reach the evaporator, so I don't suggest doing that.

Aside from oxidizing aluminum, it is technically not good when inhaled:

"Hydrogen peroxide can be toxic if ingested, inhaled, or by contact with the skin or eyes. Inhalation of household strength hydrogen peroxide (3%) can cause respiratory irritation. Exposure to household strength hydrogen peroxide can cause mild ocular irritation. Inhalation of vapors from concentrated (higher than 10%) solutions may result in severe pulmonary irritation."

The Klima cleaner cost $14 and it's not a lot of money to save. For similar reasons I don't buy the cheaper evaporator cleaning solution from Home Depot. Good chance they're safe to use, but again, I'd only end up saving 7 bucks.

I got into my Model 3 today and as soon as the AC kicked on a horrible smell filled the cabin. I am worried maybe a small animal has crawled up in the internal area of the car and died.... if this is the case I don’t know how I’m gonna fix this. A few months ago I saw a kitten go under the car and jump up in the space behind the front wheel. I quickly forced it out.

Is there any way to remove the protective cover that is under the front end and access the area for inspection? I could spray water in that area to hopefully flush anything out but don’t know if that’s a wise idea. I’m about 300 miles from the nearest S.C, and while there is a local ranger, I’m sure they would charge me an arm and a leg to come out because this probably won’t be covered under warranty.

Any one have a diagram of that’s behind the front end/AC system?

And the smell suddenly went away... The weather was extremely wet when the odor was present but it’s dry now. Could that have anything to do with it?

Yes, my car for the past week has smelled ok too. Weather has been cooler and less humid.

I'm still gonna plan on spraying with Klima-cleaner, and just got confirmation from Tesla today about the shipment of my new Filters, which I ordered through the Tesla App like others did here. Total cost for 2 filters + shipping = $47.22

2019-08-28_17-30-13.jpg

ya they charged you labor, AND billed you for 2 PAIRs of filters!
did you mean to purchase an extra pair of filters?

Yes, that was at least on purpose. :) It is 1.5 hours one way down there and it's looking like I will need filters quarterly or some other schedule much shorter than 2 years, so I bought an extra set. I would have bought a case if they had that many.

Just a fyi for those getting confused about this coming from something stuck in the intake----that is not what this is in general. You may have something there causing a different smell but that is not what the majority in this thread are describing.

What we are dealing with here is "dirty sock syndrome". It often plagues residential heat pumps in areas of high humidity. If you google DSS you will see it is the same problem and smell we are getting in our model 3s (and that happens to many other cars but usually after a longer period of time).

I think the design of having the filter so close to the evaporator is making this happen much quicker than a normal car. just a guess.

I’ve had my model 3 for almost a year now but as many have mentioned this smell only occurs when it is really humid and the car is sitting in the heat. In the evening or morning when it is cooler the A/C is not putting out any odor. I have been using recirculating air for the majority of ownership of the car. I just recently started using outdoor air in fear this was the cause. Does anyone think I should have the filters replaced? Seems pricey. I saw I1 Tesla’s YouTube video and his filters were green which seemed crazy. Not sure how long he has had his car but that doesn’t sound normal.

I think they are using a Tesla branded version of the Mann “Frecious Plus” filters. These have a yellow layer that is supposed to inhibit microbial growth. Does it work - I guess we are finding out.

Interesting. Maybe this is what led to the backorder....they were updating the filter. Progress is good. Hopefully this works. I've been thinking all along it is the filters that are the major issue (due to location). People that remove the filter and smell nothing is because they are dry. Dirty sock bacteria only activate when moist.

Interesting. Maybe this is what led to the backorder....they were updating the filter. Progress is good. Hopefully this works. I've been thinking all along it is the filters that are the major issue (due to location). People that remove the filter and smell nothing is because they are dry. Dirty sock bacteria only activate when moist.

Eh, I have the yellow backed filter put in 2 weeks ago and my car still smells. I am fairly certain the ~6 month old filters I pulled out were yellow backed too, but I am not sure. So, it is probably not helping much.

I am going to try another ozone treatment this weekend. See if that can kill the remainder of whatever is in my vents.

Here's what worked for me:
  1. turn off the climate control system
  2. remove the original air filters from the filter/evaporator compartment
  3. spray Klima Cleaner into the compartment (use the included tube to try to reach all areas of the space) and let it sit for 20 minutes
  4. re-seal the filter compartment door, set the fan to 5, a/c on (I did this in case any leftover foam was still in the system...didn't want it shooting out of the vents)
  5. after a couple of minutes, increase the fan speed to 10 and let it run for 20 minutes or until the car is draining clear water
  6. turn off the AC, but leave the fan running for another 5 minutes to dry the evaporator coil
  7. turn off the fan
  8. move the car to an open space, away from people and pets (i.e., not inside a garage)
  9. open the hood, remove the plastic cowl cover, and hook up an ozone generator to the fresh air intake, making sure to seal the connection as best as possible (I used a cut up trash bag)
  10. manually set the climate control fan speed to 1, air recirculation off, a/c off
  11. close all windows, leave driver's door closed but unlatched so that car doesn't turn off
  12. turn on the ozone generator and run it for 15-20 minutes
  13. shut off and disconnect the ozone generator, then open all the doors/trunk and air out the car for a couple of hours in direct sunlight
  14. re-open the filter compartment and install fresh filters*
It's been three days, and the smell is completely gone. Not a hint of it.

*At first, I tried reusing the original filters, which reduced the smell by about 50%. Replacing the filters with fresh ones completely fixed the problem. It was very difficult to detect any odors on the filters with a sniff test. Whatever was causing the odor was deeply embedded into the fibers.

On a related note, the filter compartment door is waaaay up in the footwell. Pictures, videos, and even Tesla's online instructions make it seem far easier to access than is actually the case. Be prepared to strain your neck/back/shoulders.

On a related note, the filter compartment door is waaaay up in the footwell. Pictures, videos, and even Tesla's online instructions make it seem far easier to access than is actually the case. Be prepared to strain your neck/back/shoulders.
Yes, some flexibility is required. ;) Tip: removing the screw that holds the door is much easier using a mini ratchet than a screwdriver (I used my trusty Bosch).

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
I just did this procedure (without the OP's fancy applicator). I'll need to give it a few days to confirm, but so far so good. The only change I made was, and maybe I have a crappy set of tools, but the T15 works loads better than the T20. It was a little loose, but it bit much better than the 20 and I was able to unscrew it much easier, without applying a whole lot of pressure on the flex cable.

This procedure works, but you absolutely must change your filters at the same time. If you don’t the smell will return.

I did the procedure and the small was back. I just swapped out the filters with the HEPA filters and it is the purest smell I have had in a long time.