Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC odor removal and cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropping by to say that after a year, the smell from my AC did not return. *fingers crossed* Although I'm working at home now, so the AC did not work nearly as hard as last year. So I set a terrible example here.

Thinking back, I think I might had gotten water in the duct while washing my car. Would very much like to know if the new plenum does make a difference.

Always happy to see the community coming together to diagnose and contribute to solving various issues. Thank you for all who contributed to this thread!

PS - also had my HW3 installed, 2 months ago I had my windshield replaced, and the rep there said that she would call me if HW3 parts are in stock, and sure enough, I got a call 5 days later. Now I see more cones on my screen. :)

So on your car wash point I recently had an issue with my 3 where I would experience a leak any time I would use an automated car wash bay. At the same time I noticed the smell worsening so I too think the car wash contributed if not was the original cause. As part of chasing down the leak they replaced my plenum but ultimately located the source of the leak actually up in the A pillar. I’m hoping the repair works, I’m picking it up today but as part of the process I had them do the kool-it routine and new filters hoping that it puts this problem to rest.

I just posted the following in another thread related to AC odor, so thought it might be useful/helpful to some to re-post it here...

Here is some information that might help those of you who are still struggling with this odor/smell.

I too recently did the foam cleaning and cabin filter change myself. It definitely eliminated the smell. However, the smell I had prior to this service was not the moldy/musty smell that most everyone has been describing. My smell was more chemical in nature. Hard to describe exactly, but it was definitely noticeable. Thankfully, the smell only stuck around for the first 10 seconds or so after I initially turned on the cabin fan and/or AC. After that, the smell would completely dissipate/disappear. I took delivery of my vehicle almost 1 year ago (in early August 2019) and started noticing this chemical smell about 2 months ago.

When I called my local Tesla SC to order the OEM cabin filter, they thought it was a bit unusual to change the cabin filter so soon. So, I described the problem/smell to them. They looked up my VIN and quickly came back to inform me that Tesla has a newer/updated part for the HVAC system. It is called an "inner duct plenum" and is supposed to improve drainage in the HVAC system. I guess the "older" inner duct plenum design did not allow for complete/proper drainage of the condensate. So, this may be what is causing the smell to return for some or many Model 3 owners. My vehicle was built in July 2019. So, I do not know exactly when Tesla starting using this newer/updated "inner duct plenum" part in their production.

Attached is a copy of the Service Order from my local SC, which describes/shows the optional quote for the inner duct plenum (see line item #2). As you can see, the part itself is very inexpensive ($11) and labor to install is also inexpensive/reasonable at just $58. This can be done by Tesla mobile service. Therefore, I presume it would be a relatively easy DIY job for those who want to avoid the $58 labor charge.

I have decided to wait & see if my particular chemical smell returns. If it does return, then I'll probably either have Tesla change the inner duct plenum or buy the part and do it myself.

Hope this helps some and good luck!!

View attachment 561602

I also have a July 2019 P3D- and the smell came on strong this summer. I inquired about the updated part and they said I already have it and this was only needed for "early build" cars. Something doesn't add up. Guess I'm stuck paying $150 a year for this service or doing it myself. Doesn't exactly bode well for the "low maintenance" argument.

I also have a July 2019 P3D- and the smell came on strong this summer. I inquired about the updated part and they said I already have it and this was only needed for "early build" cars. Something doesn't add up. Guess I'm stuck paying $150 a year for this service or doing it myself. Doesn't exactly bode well for the "low maintenance" argument.

That is rather odd (that your SC said your July 2019 build already has the latest inner duct plenum part). Makes me wonder if the information my SC gave me is correct (that I have the older design). Perhaps my vehicle was an early July build (when they were still using the old part) and yours was a late July build (when they started using the new part). Just a wild guess on my part, but it’s the only explanation I have at this point. Of course, the information given by these SC’s is always accurate, right? ;) :D

Personally, I will wait to see if and how soon the chemical smell returns and then decide if I will to buy the $11 plenum part and install it myself. Based on the exploded parts diagram, it should be an easy part to access/remove/install. If Tesla is charging only $58 labor to send a mobile service tech to my house to install it, then we know it must really be an easy/quick job. Honestly, the chemical smell was not that strong or objectionable in my case... and it only hung around for perhaps the first 5-10 seconds after initially turning on the AC and then it would completely disappear.

Personally, I don’t mind spending $50 every 12 or 18 months to change the cabin filters and spray the foam cleaning solution, if that becomes a necessary routine. Tesla charges $34 for the two cabin filters and you can buy the foam cleaner for $15-16 on Amazon. The procedure for accessing/removing the cabin filters and spraying the foam cleaner is really easy. So, I would definitely not pay Tesla the $150 or whatever they charge to perform this service.

Also, I’m not exactly sure when Tesla pushed out that software update which is supposed to help with this AC odor issue (by running the AC fan for a short period of time after you “turn-off” and leave the vehicle, to help dry things out). So, perhaps in your case, the bad odor had already started to build-up/accumulate before that corrective software update was introduced. If so, then I have a suspicion/hope that after you do the foam cleaning of your AC coils and change the cabin filters (to give your vehicle a fresh/clean start), then our vehicle’s automatic fan circulation procedure will indeed help and your AC odor will not come back.

Yeah, I’m an optimist! :D

Reactions: israndy
I did this again last night with the Kilma cleamer (which foamed nicely) and the XTechnor HEPA filters. the filters are more expensive than what I had used before and I have no way of knowing if they are actually HEPA or not, but they seemed well-made and fit nicely. I also really appreciated that they came with a plastic tool for removing the clips under the glove box and a 90° torx screwdriver as well. Thumbs-up for the thoughtfullness.

All told, about $60 in materials (equivalent to 2 DIY oil changes) so a ding on the "maintenance free" aspect of the car, certainly.

I think in order to be actual HEPA quality, you not only need filters with tiny openings so even a virus cannot get thru, but you need a large area of them, so you don't lose out on airflow. Certainly, it could be nice to drive thru a skunk spray and not smell it inside the car, but the reduced airflow might make cooling the car less quick. Probably worse as the filter clogs up with debris.

Anyone have any recommendations for a spray to clean the ;before putting in the new filters?

I used Klima Cleaner instead of Kool-it, mainly because I felt the tip (which has multiple holes) would help disperse the foam a little better than the single-hole tip on the Kool-it. In reality, I don’t think it really makes that much (if any) difference in coverage. So, both products are effective and get the job done. It should be noted that the Kool-it is a little less expensive at $13, but it is only 6 oz. While, the Klima Cleaner is $15 but is 10 oz. In most cases, 6 oz is more than enough to coat and clean everything.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-96110515-Klima-Cleaner-Conditioner-Cleaner/dp/B0002Z2MKO

Reactions: theothertom
Did it myself in about 20 mins for less than $60 with OEM filters. July 2018 build and my AC didn't even smell.
I have a 6/18 build and have no smell either but I live in PNW where the weather is pretty mild w/ no extremes. I've been thinking about replacing my filters soon since I've just passed 2 years and according to the maintenance schedule I should be.

How many miles do you have and how did the old filters looks when you removed them? Do you notice any difference w/ new filters?

I have a 6/18 build and have no smell either but I live in PNW where the weather is pretty mild w/ no extremes. I've been thinking about replacing my filters soon since I've just passed 2 years and according to the maintenance schedule I should be.

How many miles do you have and how did the old filters looks when you removed them? Do you notice any difference w/ new filters?
About 13k miles. Top set is the old filters.

Attachments

• 3FA02BDF-F745-4648-8BF0-86443EFCA766.jpeg
    3FA02BDF-F745-4648-8BF0-86443EFCA766.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 137
I used Klima Cleaner instead of Kool-it, mainly because I felt the tip (which has multiple holes) would help disperse the foam a little better than the single-hole tip on the Kool-it. In reality, I don’t think it really makes that much (if any) difference in coverage. So, both products are effective and get the job done. It should be noted that the Kool-it is a little less expensive at $13, but it is only 6 oz. While, the Klima Cleaner is $15 but is 10 oz. In most cases, 6 oz is more than enough to coat and clean everything.

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-96110515-Klima-Cleaner-Conditioner-Cleaner/dp/B0002Z2MKO
thanks! Will give it a try.

I think in order to be actual HEPA quality, you not only need filters with tiny openings so even a virus cannot get thru, but you need a large area of them, so you don't lose out on airflow. Certainly, it could be nice to drive thru a skunk spray and not smell it inside the car, but the reduced airflow might make cooling the car less quick. Probably worse as the filter clogs up with debris.

how about close enough to S/X chemical weapons quality :) ? Do any non-OEM filters come close? If I'm doing it myself I'd at least want better filtration (against pollution/smells mainly)

I'm tackling cleaning the evaporator in my P3D tomorrow. Not gonna pay Tesla $150+ to do it, so got some Kool-It and two aftermarket filters with activated carbon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085HX67ZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Also bought an ozone generator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795P2674/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I'm going to run inside the car for 1/2 hour with the A/C running after the evaporator is cleaned with the Kool-It. This should kill anything remaining in the plenum and ducting.

Mandatory safety note on ozone generators: Ozone is poisonous, no person or pet can be inside the car during treatment. The car must be ventilated for at least 1/2 hour with outside air (doors open) after treatment to remove all ozone before you can occupy it.

I think the most difficult part of this is actually going to be seeing if my lower back holds out as I contort myself to get under the passenger dash.