Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Recirc not working and AC not as cold as prior to 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really is the most ridiculous "feature" ever. As anyone living in Texas or other states with extreme temps knows, you want to keep the inside cabin at the right temp as much as possible. A/C systems often need all the help they can get these days and sucking in 100+ degree humid air on a Summer day (or -10 degree air I assume for those of you up north) after you have cooled off the cabin only to have it start warming back up again is ridiculous. Like Cyclone, fan setting 3 and recirc have been the "norm" for us. Heck, I would say we use recirc about 363 days a year hear normally on every car we've owned...crazy to not let us simply control it. I almost wonder if this is some "We all live in a perfect weather area of California and want a nice breeze" mindset of some kind. Oddly enough, I just had a buddy of mine ask me if the pano roof was worth it today and I replied "maybe if you lived somewhere like California where you had a better percentage of 'sunroof weather' days vs. our way too hot or a bit too cold days here in Texas - I actually think the predilection to ordering it may be directly tied to the volume of Teslas sold in California..."

I run with everything in auto except recirculate. It seems to stay in recirculate you just can't adjust the fan speed below 4... 4 is pretty low anyway so it seems fine right now heading into fall. YMMV and it could change as things cool off

The point is why? Not sure if your response is suggesting all is good and why don't we just keep the AC above 4 fan speed and move on or if you're just trying to be informative.

Why would you jimmy with something so simple?

Reactions: apacheguy
The point is why? Not sure if your response is suggesting all is good and why don't we just keep the AC above 4 fan speed and move on or if you're just trying to be informative.

Why would you jimmy with something so simple?
100% pure speculation but what if they discovered something more serious would break and this was their temporary solution so they could still rollout, keep us and the regulators happy until the bug fix update can be deployed?

I noticed outdoor smell even at a higher fan setting then four.
I would be driving down the road and would smell exausts from other cars,
and quickly check to see if I was in recirc mode and the car says it iwas
But I think they are mixing outdoor air any way, even above fan setting 4.
Tesla fixed one thing and broke many others

Same with the new feature that factors solar insolation at your location. My 2007 Prius didn't do that, but it still was able to cool quickly and met my expectations. I have to wonder, are the software people at Tesla simply designing for an ideal, utopian environment and not for reality? You don't need to factor insolation, sun angle, or whatever in order to quickly meet and hold a set temperature inside the vehicle.

GET IT TOGETHER TESLA!

They have designed this feature to compensate for higher temps when the sun is directly overhead, I have found in certain situations when the A/c is set the same the cabin cannot get to the desired temp if the sun is beating overhead, this may just be a perception but having the software compensate for that is pretty smart. Your Prius did not have the same size windshield as the X so that's why A/c performance was not dependent on where the sun was.

Possible I guess? More likely they just got so deep into over engineering this they overlooked the basics when trying to write code to factor in my angle to the sun and predictive cabin heating algorithm. Unreal.
More likely this has been implemented to reduce freezing of the system when parked or when a lower volume of air is passing over the cooling coils. Recycled air tends to be cooler and may produce a lot more condensation.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
More likely this has been implemented to reduce freezing of the system when parked or when a lower volume of air is passing over the cooling coils. Recycled air tends to be cooler and may produce a lot more condensation.
If this is true then why did it work before with the same HVAC. I still suspect this was an unintended consequence of some other feature.

Reactions: apacheguy

Then they could have coded it to do so when in park (preconditioning already uses full auto) and the occasionally while running. For instance, my old 4Runner had a full auto and then I would turn on recirc to not allow switching to/from fresh air. Every once in a while, it would switch back to full auto. Presumably, it measured how long it ran in recirc and occasionally switched back as-needed. Tesla could have done something similar. If it ran solely in recirc for too long, it could jump back to "auto". Auto then could adjust as needed until we eventually switch to recirc manually again. Annoying that they change your setting "randomly", yes, but better than actually removing the ability we had in 7.1!

If this is true then why did it work before with the same HVAC. I still suspect this was an unintended consequence of some other feature.
I have had other vehicles that would annoyingly switch out of recirculation mode at a set interval (always seemed to happen while driving behind a fuming diesel). By limiting the minimum fan speed, you can keep recirculating. This is typically done to prevent an internal buildup of condensation. The compressor Tesla uses is very efficient. Not everyone will notice this condensation, varies significantly due to individual settings and environments.

Last edited:
Then they could have coded it to do so when in park (preconditioning already uses full auto) and the occasionally while running. For instance, my old 4Runner had a full auto and then I would turn on recirc to not allow switching to/from fresh air. Every once in a while, it would switch back to full auto. Presumably, it measured how long it ran in recirc and occasionally switched back as-needed. Tesla could have done something similar. If it ran solely in recirc for too long, it could jump back to "auto". Auto then could adjust as needed until we eventually switch to recirc manually again. Annoying that they change your setting "randomly", yes, but better than actually removing the ability we had in 7.1!
Of course, more coding can fix that. In all likelihood, that would introduce another need for more code :)
The solution the programmers chose looks like the best option so you don't have to exit recirculation mode. I would not want to suck up someone's exhaust fumes while stuck in traffic, for example.

Last edited:
I have had other vehicles that would annoyingly switch out of recirculation mode at a set interval (always seemed to happen while driving behind a fuming diesel). By limiting the minimum fan speed, you can keep recirculating. This is typically done to prevent an internal buildup of condensation. The compressor Tesla uses is very efficient. Not everyone will notice this condensation, varies significantly due to individual settings and environments.
So you are saying Tesla made a software change to correct a hardware issue thats always been there?

So you are saying Tesla made a software change to correct a hardware issue thats always been there?
Condensation of an air conditioner is not considered a "hardware issue". What tesla did to the software is unknown to me since I have not yet received V8, I'm only going on other user reports and using logic to determine a cause for the changes. I don't think this is the first time Tesla has modified software to help certain configurations. But I see where your comment is coming from. There are multiple methods to use the software in this car to do what they need it to do. They could have easily switched off recirculation at intervals (like other manufacturers) but again you could be stuck in a traffic jam and then would be inhaling all those invigorating hydrocarbons. Again, I don't have the software update so I'm not even positive this is what is going on. Your guess is as good as mine.

Reactions: msnow
After reading this thread the other day, I have been checking my settings when fan speed is below and above speed 3. Regardless of the fan speed I chose, it never changed my air circulation from outside air to recirculate interior cabin air. Yes, I am on 8.0

I'm not following this condensation argument. Yes, the AC builds up condensate and always has. But it should never be a problem since there is a drain hose.
In extreme conditions you can have a buildup of condensation inside the cabin. I am not saying this is the reason for the change, but by maintaining a higher airflow over the condenser in recirculation mode, you would reduce this possibility. I am assuming Tesla has had reports from owners or Service personnel of condensation inside the cabin or frozen condensers.

The only time I had condensate forming on the vents was when I was driving by the coast with the windows down and the AC on. Switching to fresh air mode sure as heck wouldn't have made a difference since the cabin was full of fresh air. In no other circumstance have I experienced any form of condensate.

Reactions: msnow
Of course, more coding can fix that. In all likelihood, that would introduce another need for more code :)
The solution the programmers chose looks like the best option so you don't have to exit recirculation mode. I would not want to suck up someone's exhaust fumes while stuck in traffic, for example.

Which is exactly what others are reporting though, even when trying to force recirculate. Unknown whether they were on manual 4 or higher or auto fan speed.