Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC stays on when turned on with the Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
So I turned on the AC with the Tesla app around 15 min before entering the car. After driving for about an hour back home parked it and left. 3-4 hours later I come home and noticed the fan is on and had no idea why the AC is running and looked at the Tesla app and the cabin temperature is around 50 degrees. I thought when you leave the car and it locks that everything gets shut off as well. Why would the AC not shut off? Has this happen to anybody? Thanks in advance!

This sounds like your keyfob was within range of the vehicle. I'm guessing but it would explain the behavior (A/C would stay on if you were in the car with the keyfob), and I've experienced exactly that even when I thought my keyfob was far enough away. Perhaps there are times when the keyfob doesn't perfectly or completely disconnect, or perhaps the keybob in just the right position at the right angle has a better range that I would normally suspect. Anyway, I wrote off my experience as related to the keyfob, though I cannot prove it. I also don't remember if my mirrors were auto-folded that would indicate the car was otherwise locked or not.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and ckwong
This sounds like your keyfob was within range of the vehicle. I'm guessing but it would explain the behavior (A/C would stay on if you were in the car with the keyfob), and I've experienced exactly that even when I thought my keyfob was far enough away. Perhaps there are times when the keyfob doesn't perfectly or completely disconnect, or perhaps the keybob in just the right position at the right angle has a better range that I would normally suspect. Anyway, I wrote off my experience as related to the keyfob, though I cannot prove it. I also don't remember if my mirrors were auto-folded that would indicate the car was otherwise locked or not.

I have a built in garage so my living room is directly above the garage and my key fob was in the living on a table. I only had my MX for a few weeks but I thought the car knows to shut off when I leave the seat and walk away and the mirrors did auto-folded.

Just find it kind of strange with such a sophisticated car due to a key fob it would leave the ac on but everything else off. I have another post that the MX kept waking up in the middle of the night (lights turned on) and a few other people have said it's due to the proximity of the key fob. I will have to do a test and move the key fob further away. Thanks for you comment

I also get a little confused on the AC controls and precedence between car control and app control...Carteriii - I noticed your dog in you profile pic.. And this is why I get concerned... My X is my daily driver and that includes loading my Ridgebacks in it for our running adventures.... I use the App to cool the car before I load up the dogs - this is great, however I am not sure it turns on the Rear AC - the App only shows the Front AC unit on.... When driving, I always keep the Rear AC unit on much cooler than the front to ensure the pups are cool in the back. Occasionally, when I have to run into a store with the dogs in the back, I lock the car with the fob and then walk far enough away and then open up the App to turn on the AC. My dogs are very relaxed in my car and they nap till I get back.. And I check the App every few minutes to ensure the X is nice and cool (the AC unit cools in the car works better than my house) - I am not a bad dog owner... What I have not been able to figure out is when I leave the car for a run and I am just carrying the fob and NOT my iPhone (no App), I would like to have the X AC on while running so it does not heat up while I am running (not worried about battery consumption).

So, is there a way to set the X's temperature via the car control and NOT have it turn off when I lock the car with the fob and take it for a run?

AC staying on when turned off is a fairly new issue that only started occurring 3 months ago, probably right around the time Tesla introduced the maximum temperature safety control. Try turning it off to see if that helps.

I use the App to cool the car before I load up the dogs - this is great, however I am not sure it turns on the Rear AC - the App only shows the Front AC unit on....
It turns on whatever you had set it to from inside the car, that includes rear HVAC in manual mode and also un-synced front temps. I’ve taken to using the Camper.app when running errands with the dogs because of its simplicity.
Remote HVAC cannot be started below 20% battery.

@ckwong I like to leave my keys just inside the door from our garage so I bought a "Faraday bag". Just search Amazon for the cheapest one you care to get, and you can search for "Faraday Cage" (Faraday cage - Wikipedia) for general information if you're not familiar with the concept.

@RR Runabout My X is a 5-seater which does not have separate rear AC blower, but I keep the dog crate on top of the 2nd row and haven't had any issues. I also now have Spectra Photosync on the back hatch & windows which also keeps down a lot of the heat there. Regarding keeping the AC on, I wish Tesla would release a feature to allow us to specify the amount of time for pre-heat/pre-cool, or allow us to set 70-degrees for the cabin overheat temp, or AT LEAST show us a timer of precisely how much time remains. Tesla is probably fearful of adding a feature which might enable people to leave their kids or dogs in the vehicle longer, but they could at least add an API to tell us how much time remains on the timer.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva