Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC weak in the MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All too typical for Californians to complain about their AC in the middle of winter. :cool:

It has been beautiful the past few days..
BayArea_pic.jpg

Reactions: rxlawdude
I let my MY precondition too long a couple times last summer (15 minutes or so). The MY a/c is very powerful when working correctly. The one I test drove had a weak a/c, so there were some issues last year. Mine is great.

20210206_200634.jpg

Reactions: mark95476
Agreed. The OP was comparing their MY's AC to another car, which probably isn't valid. MY has a glass roof and the seats don't breath.

I set my AC temp = 70 and fan = 2 in my Tesla and it was comfortable all summer. I don't recall what settings I had in my old gasser, but it was different.

Think it’s a legitimate complaint if AC isn’t working properly.

Totally! Tesla owners don't feel any guilt for taking long drives. :)

And isn't it satisfying to know that your car plays some small part in that fine visibility? :)

The ultraleather, or whatever Tesla calls it, is okay.

I had perforated leather seats in my old gasser. Unfortunately, they were black so it was brutal in California summers. I remember having cloth seats a long time ago and they were the most comfortable when it got hot.

The surface of polyurethane upholstery (PU) is microporous; this allows the fabric to breathe and remain cooler when sat upon.

https://www.knoll.com/document/1356196324385/KT_Coated Performance Upholstery Summary.pdf

I live in hot country: Arizona. I bought the roof shade but haven't installed it yet.(I'm sure it would help some) I found that when I'm driving alone the system shuts off air coming out of the passenger side and the rear seat. So, on a hot day, you can feel the radiant heat from those areas. As a result I had the front windows tinted and a visor tint on the top portion of the windshield. That has helped a lot.

h82fuel: Correct for the AC shutdown. Go into the controls and you can open all of those vents...passenger side, just tap the screen on the vent. I find this is sufficient for driving alone, in 102f TX sun.

Was in Palm Springs this weekend. 115’F. The ‘AC’ was pathetic. Was using 500-600wh/mi driving home trying to keep the cabin under 80’F. Once we made it back to the coast (<100’F) the cabin began to cool and power consumption dropped back into the 300s.

Was in Palm Springs this weekend. 115’F. The ‘AC’ was pathetic. Was using 500-600wh/mi driving home trying to keep the cabin under 80’F. Once we made it back to the coast (<100’F) the cabin began to cool and power consumption dropped back into the 300s.
For everyone complaining that the AC is not working in hot summer, they need to get their vehicles checked. Heat pump when sized correctly should work very very effectively since it just moves the heat from the car to outside and as a result should not make much of a difference what the temp is outside. Like traditional AC's, heat pump does not condition the air, it just removes heat from the cabin and moves it outside of the car and that is the reason they are very efficient.

On the other hand, in the winter, it brings the heat from outside in to the cabin and therefore, if the temp outside is too low for it to extract any heat, I can see the problem there but in summer, it should work fine most if not all the time. But, it should be sized right and working properly.

Pretty sure that wasn’t the AC causing those efficiency numbers. Speed? I just drove to Vegas and back, hit 117F, with AC on max and averaged around 280wh/mi. In a M3, but a MY shouldn’t be double. You had something else going on.

Reactions: rxlawdude