Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Academic Exercise - Effect of the end of Federal Rebate on M3 CPO pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supply and demand. Inescapable.

Yes. Guess at demand in 2019 and that will predict the value of a used Model 3.

If demand is 500K units/year the value of a used model 3 will be quite high and a seller will benefit from the expiration of the ITC in the U.S.

When iphones were in somewhat short supply the trade in value was high. Buying at launch and trading for a new model was a good strategy for people who wanted the latest tech.

What could mess up trade in value of the model 3 is faster supercharging in ~2020.

Why do people give a rip about whether or not they get a Federal rebate when buying the Model 3? REALLY? Did you get a Federal rebate for the last ICE car you bought....NO...but you bought it anyway. If you want the flippin car, buy it! Rebate is icing on the cake but it is NOT the cake. Come on, enough about this agonizing decision of when to buy because this magical rebate will be gone!!!
$7500 is $7500 no matter what transaction we're talking about.

But we also have to remember that when Tesla's 7500 credit runs out, the other automakers will have it. Primarily, I'm thinking of the competition from the VW group. They will have a 7500 advantage that Tesla needs to overcome somehow. Tesla's one of the best offerings at 35k now and absolutely the best at 27500. But they will need to compete with the other EV offerings in 1 year. That will get very interesting.

But we also have to remember that when Tesla's 7500 credit runs out, the other automakers will have it. Primarily, I'm thinking of the competition from the VW group. They will have a 7500 advantage that Tesla needs to overcome somehow. Tesla's one of the best offerings at 35k now and absolutely the best at 27500. But they will need to compete with the other EV offerings in 1 year. That will get very interesting.
I'm not sure how much longer EV tax credit will survive. The current Republican congress and president seem rather anti EV.

I'm not sure how much longer EV tax credit will survive. The current Republican congress and president seem rather anti EV.

If the EV was being produced offshore I would agree that this administration would probably nix it in short order; however, as a "Made in the USA" vehicle I just don't see that happening until Tesla, and probably GM, have made it through all of the available credits.

For some context, Cash-for-Clunkers rubbed Republicans on the hill the wrong way for two reasons: 1) The price 2) It encouraged people to scrap older American cars and buy new foreign cars, predominantly from Asian manufacturers. The American cars being of poor build quality and having even worse fuel economy was inexcusable. US Manufactures had time to rethink fuel economy after the gas shortage of 1973, but memories faded and the same mistakes were made again.

This tax credit predominately encouraged consumers to buy American through federal incentive, the exact kind of crony capitalism that this administration has often argued for and put policies behind.

Exactly. I would never buy a $50,000 car, but $37,500 (federal + state) is much more palatable.
No doubt, but your buying the car or not makes zero difference.
The question is, without the tax credit, will there still be 500k people each year that will buy the car?
If there is, I see no reason for Tesla to lower the price.
If there isn't, then Tesla will.

just like MS and MX, the model 3 will continue to improve over time and available in lower price as Tesla reach economy of scale in production
As a reminder, the Model S was originally just "under $50K" after $7500 Federal tax credit. Look at its starting price now, which has fluctuated a bunch.

2013 Model S Price Increase has the original prices before a price increase. Then they decided to cancel the 40 kWh Model S and just ship those that ordered one a 60 kWh car w/software to limit it to 40.

My thinking and for easier thinking, let's assume the rebate expired overnight on certain day.

The car built the previous day, compared to next day, would be identical. So in theory the resale value is same.

However, in real life if the buyer knows there was rebate, he'd be more prone to haggle more "you already got good discount when buying", and the seller would be more susceptible to give lower price since the perceived depreciation is better.

So there's be probably small (~$1000-2000) difference at cases, although in general they'll be fairly evenly priced as the car really is the same.

Why do people give a rip about whether or not they get a Federal rebate when buying the Model 3? REALLY? Did you get a Federal rebate for the last ICE car you bought....NO...but you bought it anyway. If you want the flippin car, buy it! Rebate is icing on the cake but it is NOT the cake. Come on, enough about this agonizing decision of when to buy because this magical rebate will be gone!!!
Really? How many purchasers do you suppose can really afford a $40k-$60k car? And the answer to that question is not how many people can make lease payments or 6 year car loan payments. Many purchasers will be overspending their financial situations even with the tax credit. They don't need you to shame them into an even worse financial decision.

Reactions: Craig9080

They give precisely 7,500 'rips'

Reactions: Runt8 and liuping