Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerating when braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And two days to get any response at all, that response being that the appointment will be canceled 72 hours after the first request, unless I supply an "exact" "time stamp" and "location" for every event... even though I have elected to share data with the corp. They should already have time stamps for each FSD override event, unless they are lying about all the data collection they are supposedly doing to make the system work at some point in the future. I, as a customer, do not drive around with a data recorder wired to the car. If they want to pay me to do so, I'd be happy to oblige.
When the FSD it knocked off, the screen pops up and request so push the right scroll button on the wheel.
It gives you 10 seconds to make a brief statement as to what the reason for the knock off was.

Putting your foot on the brake will not deactivate the accelerator pedal on the Tesla. I briefly drive with both brakes and accelerator applied to get the water off the rotors and pads after I wash the car. A warning appears on the display but the car continues to acccelerate. One day when parking the car in the garage, I put my foot on the brake and the car lurched forward. I then realized that my foot was on the brake and the accelerator. Perhaps this is what happened to Craig's wife.

Yes, that squares well with my observations. I have only owned a Tesla for a little over a week, and I an already finding that I am not so sure about the car or the "community". And the corporation is shockingly unresponsive. I've had several dangerous fsd events and wiper malfunctions, and the very first response from the app is denials and delays. More than two weeks just to get an appointment. The corporate response was that the AUTO wiper system is in BETA (all caps theirs). No other car manufacturer releases critical safety features in beta.

What a strange, strange ride this has been!
The auto wipers is not a critical safety feature.
If it's not working to your liking, just put the wipers on manual, in the same way that if autopilot isn't working to your liking you can drive the car manually.

Putting your foot on the brake will not deactivate the accelerator pedal on the Tesla. I briefly drive with both brakes and accelerator applied to get the water off the rotors and pads after I wash the car. A warning appears on the display but the car continues to acccelerate. One day when parking the car in the garage, I put my foot on the brake and the car lurched forward. I then realized that my foot was on the brake and the accelerator. Perhaps this is what happened to Craig's wife.
@turnbowm What does the warning on your display say when you press both pedals?
What software is your car on?

That is interesting .

When I tested this, I did only apply about 25% accelerator and could not detect any forward thrust against light brake pressure.
That was about a year ago and obviously much older software.
I never thought to fully floor it and try and hold the car stationary.
With between 418 and 530 HP depending on who you believe a performance model would take a whole lot of brake to stop in a 100% accelerator pushed condition. Mmm I need to test this again...

OK well I asked about software as I think the warning changed at some point recently, but I'm on 2024.8.9 and the current behaviour when both pedals are pressed is this:

Model3 both pedals 2024.8.9.jpg

If you press the brake first and then press the accelerator as well, the car will move but the power is very much reduced. Even if you floor the accelerator and only have the brake pressed very slightly, the car will just creep. So this can be useful if you wanted to position the car in a tight space and you usually use hold mode. But as soon as you released the brake, if you have the accelerator pressed down, the power will be restored, so be careful using it that way!

If you press the accelerator first and then press the brake as well, power is cut to the motor(s). If you're braking lightly, the car will still be moving of course but you can floor the accelerator and the car won't pick up any speed. So even if you have the accelerator pinned to the floor, if you then press the brake pedal the car will stop easily as it's not trying to overcome the motor(s).

So in either case there is no way someone can claim they pressed both pedals and the car still accelerated rapidly toward the brick wall/car in front/granny.
As I say, I think the messages on the display may have been updated but it was always the case that with both pedals being pressed power was reduced. it's possible the power cut is a recent change and it would be useful to know if anyone wants to try it.

Last edited:
WOW!

Glancing back through this thread I am shocked by the number of rude wife haters, and ludicrous assertions about the impossibility of car failures.

Millions of replacement ECUs are sold every year for cars in which the ECU has failed. Computers fail routinely. Has no one here seen the blue screen of death? Has no one had to reset a cell phone or reboot a laptop???

Having flown aircraft with real autopilots, and having designed and built a plugin hybrid, and having advised industry on numerous safety issues, I have some understanding of the issues that goes a bit beyond the superficiality seen here. Pintos really burst into flames as a result of bad engineering. Ford Explorers really flipped over as a result of bursting Firestone tires; the collusion of the CEOs is famous.

In airliners in the mid eighties, we had huge annunciator panels with loads of yellow and red lights, that announced failures in highly- engineered systems. Airliners are built to a much higher standard than cars as regards safety. If failures were impossible in these far- better-than-Tesla systems, then why were the annunciator lights necessary?

What a rough crowd.

If the genders were changed, would the husband be treated as an incompetent liar? In addition to reporting the event to your insurance company, report it to the NHTSA. That is pretty quick to do online, but slow to do by phone... but they seem like nice folks.

Nissan Leaf forums are not like this. Chevy Volt forums are not like this. What is it about Tesla that brings out the worst in people?
I don't know about others BUT here is a post I made in the first 3 days of owning my Model Y and how certain women responded to Me and My Tesla...

so many hoops just for the opportunity to own one of the lowest-quality automobiles in the industry just because of its "cool factor".
The Cool Factor??

When I stopped by the bank to get the certified check for My Performance Y a bank teller gal overheard that the check was for a Tesla and made a scene in the bank about why on earth would you want a Tesla or anything else that had to do with Elon Musk.
Then she said Good Luck finding a place to charge it which I told her was my garage overnight. Then she said well that is where I would park it as well since Shure don't want my neighbors to see it.

After picking up the Y was headed home past a school .
20 MPH still in force. I kept the speed at 20
On coming traffic was a F-250, Girl driving sees the Tesla and floors it headed for the school zone.
Sticks her arm out the window flipping me off and screaming obscenities at me all while entering the school zone at over 50 miles an hour.

Last few days no Incidents like those two.

If I had any buyers remorse it was related to those two interactions... that Other People initiated.

post 10608

You are not reading this forum, just like parsec. This forum is FILLED with people complaining about various issues, including me. I have stated many times that the money I paid for FSD would have been better served if I had burned it in front of starving orphans. Make a thread asking what everyone's opinions on autowipers are and see how many fanbois jump in there to defend Tesla. And there are many posts complaining about service centers. There are fanbois for sure, but I think there are way less than gets kicked around.

Nobody is bashing the OP's wife cause she's a woman. If he had come here saying he had done it himself I'd bet a month's pay that the very same posts would have been made raising the very same questions.

As for other forms of social media. . . .go on Reddit and peruse the entire forums dedicated to absolutely bashing Tesla for sport.

One of the issues in the overall scheme of things is that, just like when Apple was disrupting the cell phone industry, ANY little thing that happens to a Tesla (God forbid one having to do with fire) is instantly headline news raising all sorts of safety and viability questions of the product and the company. Yet you hardly ever hear about problems with other cars, of which there are PLENTY. Why is that? Because an article about a Hyundai ICE car being recalled because it has a tendency of catching fire will not get anywhere near the clicks that one about a Tesla catching fire does (and the reporter will ignore the fact that the Tesla caught fire after smashing into a telephone pole at 70 mph). 'Tesla Recall' is in the news constantly, even it if's a silly over the air software update for the windows. So based on this last paragraph that I wrote, MANY people on social media would call me a total fanboi just because I'm pointing out the partiality with which Tesla is scrutinized in the electric car space.

We live in a world where if I don't agree with you 100% then you assume I MUST be taking a position to the extreme opposite of yours (not necessarily talking about you personally).
You're not wrong. I don't read this forum. And my post count shows that. I could care less about how YOU or someone on the internet thinks of me. I just gave my opinion, just like the other poster, just like you. I'm on a few more forums where I'm a lot more active. I also follow MY fbs. I've seen enough and you must have seen enough too. I'm not here to argue/debate with you or anyone else. Since you mentioned the fire, the real issue is not when/how often a car gets fired, but what it takes to put that kind of fire out. Some don't see that. Maybe you don't either? Let that fire aside, the things that I often see fan boys defend for are ride quality, poorly designed "vision", 360, lack of RCTA/spare, poorly designed blind spot monitor, more time consuming on a trip...
I'm not an anti EV or Tesla because I have one. I'm just giving my observation. I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.