Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerating when braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drove our Y into another car which was parked opposite the space she was intending to use. She insists her foot didn’t slip off the brake and onto the accelerator and was so upset that I believe her. Is this a known problem? I intend to have the car checked by Tesla but would like to know if this has happened to anyone else?
You're saying pressing the brake causes the car to accelerate?

She insists her foot didn’t slip off the brake and onto the accelerator and was so upset that I believe her. Is this a known problem?
Not only is it not a known problem, its not possible ( to accelerate when the brake is pressed ). I wasnt there but I can describe what likely happened, since it has happened to more than a few people.

1. She turned into the space, and the car was regen braking, but wasnt slowing down fast enough.
2. in a panic, she pressed the pedal that her foot was over, because thats what drivers are trained to do, to slow the car down more / apply the brakes.
2. Since she was regen braking, with her foot over the accelerator instead of the brake, pressing the pedal she pressed in a panic accelerated the car into the space and into the other car.

Her foot didnt "slip off the brake" it was probably never on the brake in the first place, because she was regen braking.

I will repeat. Its simply NOT POSSIBLE to accelerate the car when the brake is pressed. You can test it yourself. Humans are notoriously bad at knowing what happened in a bang bang situation like that.

When / If you have Tesla look at the car, they are going to tell you "the accelerator was pushed, the brake was never pushed".

craig3030: It's tough to accept the responses above, but there have been decades of "unintended acceleration" claims that have never been proven.
I suspect craig doesn't care. Joined, posted and then left within 17 minutes and that was it. Possibly just here to start rumors. Cause you know there are people that like to take random bits of info, whether substantiated or not, and run with it.

craig3030: It's tough to accept the responses above, but there have been decades of "unintended acceleration" claims that have never been proven.
I have seen it when an ICE vehicle has a failing throttle position sensor. Jeep grand Cherokee with full time. My old boss almost went thru his garage door repeatedly because the engine would suddenly rev to 2500 RPM while in gear He got Very good at using the brake pedal until the TPS was replaced.

With that said applying the brake is not going to accelerate a vehicle.

My Y gets very upset if you push more than one pedal at the same time.

Last edited:
I have seen it when an ICE vehicle has a failing throttle position sensor. Jeep grand Cherokee with full time. My old boss almost went thru his garage door repeatedly because the engine would suddenly rev to 2500 RPM while in gear He got Very good at using the brake pedal until the TPS was replaced.

With that said applying the brake is not going to accelerate a vehicle.

My Y gets very upset if you push more than one pedal at the same time.
That reminded me of when I took my HR-V to a car wash to have the "works" done. After the conveyor belt exterior wash, they did a quick wipe down of the inside and pulled out the floor liners to clear debris.

Well, when they put it back in, it sat on top of the accelerator pedal. I freaked out when I started the engine and it ROARED at full power.

I thought it was some weird glitch and tried again for the same result, then looked around and saw the liner.

I had them fix it, mostly because I was too annoyed and hopefully to prove a point (for them to check anytime they pull anyone's mat/liner). Though it probably looked just like I was being a pompous ass that was too lazy to move the liner themself.

Craig3030:

The DRIVER of any car is responsible, AT ALL TIMES, for using the BRAKE pedal. Modern braking systems are capable of stopping the propulsion of any vehicle, no matter the horsepower.

This is operator error, for sure. This is history, yet again, repeating itself. Take the time to research Audi 5000 "Unintended Acceleration" issues from the late 1980s.

Sorry you don't read the truth as a "positive response."

If you're this unhappy, so early in ownership, dump the car. Your disappointment might very well continue.

Reactions: wildguess
All, not to create a sh&tstorm, but this has happened to me twice under these circumstances.. I am preparing for a left turn so I disengage cruise control and let regen brake the car. As I ease around the turn, the car accelerates. All I can figure, but have been unable to verify, is that I did not successfully disengage cruise control. But that doesn't explain why regen braking occurred which should have cancelled cruise control.

Craig3030:

The DRIVER of any car is responsible, AT ALL TIMES, for using the BRAKE pedal. Modern braking systems are capable of stopping the propulsion of any vehicle, no matter the horsepower.

This is operator error, for sure. This is history, yet again, repeating itself. Take the time to research Audi 5000 "Unintended Acceleration" issues from the late 1980s.

Sorry you don't read the truth as a "positive response."

If you're this unhappy, so early in ownership, dump the car. Your disappointment might very well continue.
Thanks for this Pianewman. I’d get rid of it in an instant but can’t without losing half its value. I bought it for £62.5k and it’s now worth just over £30k after a year. I’m stuck with it for the next two years unfortunately.

• Disagree
Reactions: morbidz
Forgive me fo being stoopid but I thought the car was supposed to brake if about to collide?
Auto emergency braking will not work if you're stepping on either of the pedals. And it's not designed to necessarily totally prevent a collision. Speed, distance to the object, etc. all factor in. It is designed to reduce the severity of a collision.

Thanks for this Pianewman. I’d get rid of it in an instant but can’t without losing half its value. I bought it for £62.5k and it’s now worth just over £30k after a year. I’m stuck with it for the next two years unfortunately.

After all these discussions, are you still believing that the car is at fault? Why don't you make a claim with the insurance and blame Tesla so that the insurance company can request a download of the computer information prior to the crash. There is probably a 99.9% chance your wife hit the wrong pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.