Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerating when braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an obvious troll thread that hit on all the main anti Tesla viewpoints:

* Car accelerates itself
* Car supposed to avoid any and all collisions automatically
* Elon bad
* Wife bad
* Car lost half of value very quickly
Never ‘trolled’ anyone in my life, just joined this group to find out if anyone else was open minded enough to think that it might have happened and had experienced similar. Obviously not. To the bullets:
Don’t know hence asking
Same
I do think Felon could have softened the depreciation blow
I love my wife
It’s a fact it’s lost half its value. I can post the numbers if you insist.

Reactions: B.K.
Never ‘trolled’ anyone in my life, just joined this group to find out if anyone else was open minded enough to think that it might have happened and had experienced similar. Obviously not. To the bullets:
Don’t know hence asking
Same
I love my wife
While it may be *possible* that the car accelerated when she was stepping on the brake pedal and you're on the bleeding edge of a heretofore completely new problem never seen before, it's so incredibly unlikely that it really isn't worth worrying about right now. I know that's cold comfort for your wife who may now be too spooked by the experience to trust the car, but those are the facts.

As for the resale value, the market is what the market is. Yes, Elon had a hand in the price drop by dropping the new car price, but he has a fiduciary duty to sell as many new cars as he can. He's not really responsible for the secondary market and what the actions he takes for his company may or may not do to that market. All new cars drop dramatically in value the minute they're driven off the lot, some more than others.

Don’t know hence asking
Same
I love my wife
@Craig3030: I'm late to this party. But let's take it from the top.

First off: This isn't.. exactly.. your spouse's fault.

It's not just Teslas. Pretty much every car, but mainly cars with automatic transmissions, have had drivers who literally mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal. This most often happens to the elderly, but it can and does happen to people of every age.

It happens pretty regularly. Every so often there's a death or major accident. In the town that I live in, a gentlemen had that confusion and put his vehicle, at right angles to the road, up over the curb, across the sidewalk (this was downtown), and 3/4 of the way into a local restaurant. Luckily, with no diners in the front tables. The restaurant was closed for months for repair and, yeah, they had insurance. And, no, this wasn't a Tesla - in fact, it occurred before Teslas were on the market. It might have been a Mercedes-Benz.

And, if one thinks about it a bit, one can see why these kinds of accidents are so bad. The car is accelerating, one has muscle memory that one's foot is on the brake, and the without-thought (there's no time!) action is to Stop The Car - which means pressing the brake. Which is actually the accelerator.

Your spouse was convinced, at the time, that her foot was on the brake. And, after the accident, she was recovering from the shock and, probably, wasn't tracking too well as to where her feet actually were.

Links from a Google Search:

That last link refers to a study by the NHTSA on the subject. I meant it when I said that these kinds of accidents are hardly uncommon.

Second: There's this thing about runaway cars. Actually, this was an actual problem with 1990-early 2000's Toyotas.

I happen to be a mixed-signal electronics engineer. It came out that Toyota had misdesigned, then overloaded, and then misprogrammed the engine controllers on the majority of their cars. Including, at the time, my spouse's daily driver, a Sienna, but not my daily driver, a Prius. Actual analysis of Toyota's code by a third-party consultant who was put through #@#^% by the Toyota lawyers got to see the actual code - and then, went out, and recreated a whole buncha crashes, knowing what was wrong with the watchdog timers and what-not.

The Prius happened to have a clean-sheet-of-paper design and wasn't subject the the #!%!# that the Toyota driving computer was; and the Toyota driving computer was doing that because bean counters thought that the cost of building a new, safer computer that wasn't dangerous was too much.

Having said that: The likes of Ford, GM, VW, and numerous other driving computers and associated hardware were brought in for comparison, and, well, there was no comparison. The Toyota stuff was #@%!. As a result of the ensuing class action, a whole buncha people (including my spouse) got something like $500 checks.. and we were happy to ditch the car after a time, since, as far as I know, Toyota never actually fixed the computers.

Another thing. It turned out that, even with an out-of-control Toyota barreling down the freeway (this actually happened, a number of times) it was theoretically possible to stop the car by slamming on the brakes, hard. The problem was that, humans being humans, humans hit the brakes, slow down a bit, then maybe come off the brakes a bit, lather and rinse a couple of times: And then the brakes get hot and won't stop an ant, never mind an out of control engine.

At the time, Priuses were the Enemy of the Oil Companies, so there was all sorts of FUD that Priuses were subject to this, too. Turned out that they absolutely weren't; but that didn't stop one fraudster who drove around in the Sierra Nevadas with his foot on the gas, floored - and the brakes on as well. Thing is, when the Prius detected, "Brakes On!" it automatically cut the gas, gas pedal position or not, other drivers (and the cops, eventually) got the guys antics on web cams, and, well, his "But my Prius was out of control!" lawsuit died a very quick death.

So: Nobody has actually had an out-of-control Tesla. Since the car was in an accident, there's likely a hard-to-delete log in the car's internals. A proper civil lawsuit from a judge with subpoena power can get the information from Tesla; and things like pedal position should be visible. If you want to go that route, you'll need a lawyer.

It's not just Teslas. Pretty much every car, but mainly cars with automatic transmissions, have had drivers who literally mistook the gas pedal for the brake pedal. This most often happens to the elderly, but it can and does happen to people of every age.

It happens pretty regularly. Every so often there's a death or major accident. In the town that I live in, a gentlemen had that confusion and put his vehicle, at right angles to the road, up over the curb, across the sidewalk (this was downtown), and 3/4 of the way into a local restaurant. Luckily, with no diners in the front tables. The restaurant was closed for months for repair and, yeah, they had insurance. And, no, this wasn't a Tesla - in fact, it occurred before Teslas were on the market. It might have been a Mercedes-Benz.

And, if one thinks about it a bit, one can see why these kinds of accidents are so bad. The car is accelerating, one has muscle memory that one's foot is on the brake, and the without-thought (there's no time!) action is to Stop The Car - which means pressing the brake. Which is actually the accelerator.

Your spouse was convinced, at the time, that her foot was on the brake. And, after the accident, she was recovering from the shock and, probably, wasn't tracking too well as to where her feet actually were.

That last link refers to a study by the NHTSA on the subject. I meant it when I said that these kinds of accidents are hardly uncommon.

Second: There's this thing about runaway cars. Actually, this was an actual problem with 1990-early 2000's Toyotas.

I happen to be a mixed-signal electronics engineer. It came out that Toyota had misdesigned, then overloaded, and then misprogrammed the engine controllers on the majority of their cars. Including, at the time, my spouse's daily driver, a Sienna, but not my daily driver, a Prius. Actual analysis of Toyota's code by a third-party consultant who was put through #@#^% by the Toyota lawyers got to see the actual code - and then, went out, and recreated a whole buncha crashes, knowing what was wrong with the watchdog timers and what-not.

The Prius happened to have a clean-sheet-of-paper design and wasn't subject the the #!%!# that the Toyota driving computer was; and the Toyota driving computer was doing that because bean counters thought that the cost of building a new, safer computer that wasn't dangerous was too much.

Having said that: The likes of Ford, GM, VW, and numerous other driving computers and associated hardware were brought in for comparison, and, well, there was no comparison. The Toyota stuff was #@%!. As a result of the ensuing class action, a whole buncha people (including my spouse) got something like $500 checks.. and we were happy to ditch the car after a time, since, as far as I know, Toyota never actually fixed the computers.

Another thing. It turned out that, even with an out-of-control Toyota barreling down the freeway (this actually happened, a number of times) it was theoretically possible to stop the car by slamming on the brakes, hard. The problem was that, humans being humans, humans hit the brakes, slow down a bit, then maybe come off the brakes a bit, lather and rinse a couple of times: And then the brakes get hot and won't stop an ant, never mind an out of control engine.

At the time, Priuses were the Enemy of the Oil Companies, so there was all sorts of FUD that Priuses were subject to this, too. Turned out that they absolutely weren't; but that didn't stop one fraudster who drove around in the Sierra Nevadas with his foot on the gas, floored - and the brakes on as well. Thing is, when the Prius detected, "Brakes On!" it automatically cut the gas, gas pedal position or not, other drivers (and the cops, eventually) got the guys antics on web cams, and, well, his "But my Prius was out of control!" lawsuit died a very quick death.

So: Nobody has actually had an out-of-control Tesla. Since the car was in an accident, there's likely a hard-to-delete log in the car's internals. A proper civil lawsuit from a judge with subpoena power can get the information from Tesla; and things like pedal position should be visible. If you want to go that route, you'll need a lawyer.

Great post. I believe there were already numerous lawsuits alleging unintended acceleration. None of them won because its always user error. Every. Single. Time.

It is what it is.

You're gonna need to back that up with a citation. The NHTSA/NASA report about Toyota's unintended acceleration rather cleverly proved that the problem could not have been in the engine controller. Meanwhile pedal entrapment by floor mats was a known issue.

Which only further amplifies the rest of your comment: There is a vanishingly small chance the problem is with the car.

Reactions: Bart404
You're gonna need to back that up with a citation. The NHTSA/NASA report about Toyota's unintended acceleration rather cleverly proved that the problem could not have been in the engine controller. Meanwhile pedal entrapment by floor mats was a known issue.

Which only further amplifies the rest of your comment: There is a vanishingly small chance the problem is with the car.
During all the hoo-ha, I kept fully abreast of developments. Toyota supposedly handed off the software to the NHTSA; if memory serves, it also handed it off to some "rocket scientists" somewhere. And, as it turns out, neither of them were qualified to mess with microcontrollers and engine controllers.

However, and let me look this up..

The Barr Group had some real experts - in fact, the main investigator was associated with publications that actually did microcontroller design. They got a couple of the cars to actually fail on a dynanometer, required to make the defect show up.

And my memory was correct - the "Rocket Scientists" involved were, actually, NASA. But, as the linked article stated, the NASA types didn't have the time to do the full dig into the controller and its misdesign.

When I found out about this I was amazingly furious. I wear an Order of the Engineer ring. One of the oaths I swore was to "Not Endanger the Public." The people at Toyota in and around this engine controller not only endangered the public, and we're talking serious deaths here, they worked, hard, to cover it up. The chutzpah was just amazing. That whole business with "loose floor mats" being blamed for the acceleration follies? THAT WAS NEVER TRUE, AND TOYOTA KNEW IT.

Get this: Toyota's software was overwriting the stack during normal operation, because the CPU wasn't fast enough to keep up with the interrupts. The stack is where one puts return addresses. The fact that the microcontroller and software was organized so that this could even happen was, frankly, insane. And, yes, I have written microcontroller and DSP code and know the dangers involving that.

And it gets worse: After something like this has happened, and the internal firmware is stuck in never-never land, the actual blame watchdog timers weren't properly designed and the software wouldn't recover. Got the throttle stuck down and this happens? Doesn't matter what you do with the gas pedal, the car's just Going To Go until turned off.

The actual lawsuit that went to trial, where Toyota lost, big time, was about two ladies coming off an interstate onto an off-ramp that terminated in a stop light. Coming off the gas didn't help, the throttle was stuck, and, with little time to react, stomping the brakes didn't quite do the job in time. In the resulting accident I believe the passenger died.

All because a bean-counter or ten didn't want to fund a new controller, new software, and all that jazz.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
During all the hoo-ha, I kept fully abreast of developments. Toyota supposedly handed off the software to the NHTSA; if memory serves, it also handed it off to some "rocket scientists" somewhere. And, as it turns out, neither of them were qualified to mess with microcontrollers and engine controllers.

However, and let me look this up..

Sorry, I meant a link to a study, not a link to a law firm's "Hire us; we got a jury to award millions to our clients!" page.

"We recreated the issue on a dynamometer" is not convincing to me. Which is why I'm quite certain I would not have survived voir dire if I'd been in the pool. There must be a report of that experiment somewhere.

Sorry, I meant a link to a study, not a link to a law firm's "Hire us; we got a jury to award millions to our clients!" page.

"We recreated the issue on a dynamometer" is not convincing to me. Which is why I'm quite certain I would not have survived voir dire if I'd been in the pool. There must be a report of that experiment somewhere.
I read the transcript of the deposition of the expert. In full. As I've been thinking, I've been remembering. This was not one of those snow-the-jurors depositions.

First main point: In many operating systems, as subroutines get called, they push their return addresses and the locations of all the local variables that they use onto the stack. When a subroutine exits, the stack pointer jumps back to the return address (which is the next instruction after the subroutine call) and the local variables more or less become inaccessible. There's lots of security fol-der-rol with how the "popped" stack is cleared or not, but leave that as it is.

Next trick: When there's an interrupt, which happens a lot in computers, the interrupt runs at a higher precedence. The stack pointer pushes the address of the current operation onto the stack, then vectors off to the interrupt routine, executes the (hopefully short and simple) code over there, then does a return from interrupt.

Thing is: If one is in an interrupt routine, it's perfectly possible to get hit with a second, higher or same priority interrupt. Or even another one after that.

And this is where CS majors make their money. The general idea is to not let the interrupts get ahead of one, lest the stack grow without bound. Things can get probabilistic.

And this is where Toyota got into trouble. The original cpu in the ICE motor controller was capable of keeping up, with some margin. Then, some years down the road, additional functions were desired; and, without doing the analysis and monitoring (in that day, it wasn't unusual, at all, to put an "emulator" on top of the CPU and literally track the activity of the processor, registers and all), the additional, time-consuming routines were added. And, later, more. And more.

About this time the CPU was getting starved for resources and the stack was growing to the point where Bad Things began to happen. As it happened, certain critical static (that is, variables that weren't on the stack, but were #-defined to specific locations) started getting overwritten. And one of those variables was the throttle position; there were others.

There are safety measures that people who mess with time-critical, safety critical CPUs put into play. For one, there can be hardware limits put on the stack pointer so it simply can't traverse out of the stack memory area; same for the heap. For another, there are hardware bounds checkers that can detect when such an event occurs, generate a critical interrupt (like an NMI) that resets the CPU or takes some other emergency action. None of that was in play because it wasn't designed in.

It gets worse. There was hardware on Toyota's board that was meant to detect when Something Went Wrong. In this case, it was a hardware watchdog timer. Watchdog timers are, relatively speaking, old-hat. A simple example is a count-up timer, run by the CPU clock. Once everything is running (and that gets to be a trip, thank-you-very-much), a more-or-less coded timing-based interrupt comes up from time to time and the CPU goes and resets the watchdog. If the watchdog counts all the way up, D flip-flops and all, then the max count is reached, the hardware puts out a signal, and the CPU gets itself a hard reset.

The function didn't always work on the Toyota computer. And, when it didn't work, the throttle position variable didn't change. One second, let me dig some more.

The firm that one the lawsuit and their press release:

Did some more digging. At the time the verdict came down, I managed to find the complete testimony of Mr. Barr on-line and read through it all. I haven't found that link, although I imagine that some smartie can find it on Lexus/Nexus. However, here's an article from EE Times that quotes from the critical parts of the testimony:

Here's EDN's take, along with a picture of the subject board:

I guarantee you: This was not some out-of-control bunch of lawyers blowing away a jury with technospeak. This was the real deal: Bad decisions, top to bottom, that killed people. A real coverup.

Some of you may remember the horrible death of a police driving instructor in Los Angeles some years ago. He was driving what is now known as one of the affected vehicles and, for the life of him, was unable to slow the vehicle until it crashed and killed all the occupants.

Toyota blamed it on a loose carpet. Um. Not the case.

400% increase in runaway vehicles since the introduction of that computer. The Senate of the US was sending letters to Toyota in 2010, three years before the trial, saying, "What's going on here?"

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Reactions: parsec
If your intent is to get Tesla accept the blame its a sheer waste of time. Even if the car somehow accelerated while braking, Tesla is not going to admit it and you have no way to prove it otherwise.
Well Tesla when pushed will explain to the judge, the jury, and you if you care to listen how the whole thing is set up to work; you / your wife will then have to prove that the laws of physic ceases to exist or work differently where you were at that moment.

Reactions: morbidz

Thank you. At last an unbiased post. Much appreciated.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond to this question. I really don’t know what happened and guess I never will, but I understand the logic.
Bests.
No offense intended, but you do know what happened--you merely choose to disregard the facts. If you'd like some closure, try this simple experiment. Drive your Tesla to a deserted parking lot with no obstacles. Now, hit the throttle and the brake at the same time and see what happens. That should prove to your satisfaction that your wife's foot was not on the brake. If that's not enough, go talk--in a very friendly manner--with your local Tesla Service technician. They can pull up the logs of what happened; they don't even need your car in the shop. Just give them the time of the incident. It's likely that your car logged the collision, and will show that the throttle was depressed--not the brake.

No offense intended, but you do know what happened--you merely choose to disregard the facts. If you'd like some closure, try this simple experiment. Drive your Tesla to a deserted parking lot with no obstacles. Now, hit the throttle and the brake at the same time and see what happens. That should prove to your satisfaction that your wife's foot was not on the brake. If that's not enough, go talk--in a very friendly manner--with your local Tesla Service technician. They can pull up the logs of what happened; they don't even need your car in the shop. Just give them the time of the incident. It's likely that your car logged the collision, and will show that the throttle was depressed--not the brake.

Regardless where her foot was, shouldn't the car apply automatic emergency braking in this situation? I read that if accelerator's pressed, it will override the safety system and keep going. But shouldn't it slam on the brake and alert the driver? I was in similar situation with my other car and it screamed and slammed on the brake like you hit a wall. Or this is not a tesla thing?

Regardless where her foot was, shouldn't the car apply automatic emergency braking in this situation? I read that if accelerator's pressed, it will override the safety system and keep going. But shouldn't it slam on the brake and alert the driver? I was in similar situation with my other car and it screamed and slammed on the brake like you hit a wall. Or this is not a tesla thing?
There's a whole lot we don't know that could have had an impact on how much the system did or didn't work.

She was in a parking lot. The distance to the car she hit was probably close. The system may not have had time to determine a collision in that environment.

The automatic braking system is operational between 3 mph and 124 mph, but I would bet there are other parameters that come into play in a parking lot type environment otherwise the thing may activate all the time when you're just driving around looking for a space.

Also, the system is not designed to avoid all collisions, but to lessen the impact. Maybe the system came on and helped slow the car down.

The system is deactivated when you turn the wheel sharply. If she did this, then there would have been no automatic braking done at all.

The car will do nothing if both pedals are applied. It will pop up a notice on the display telling you
that both pedals are applied. I found this neat little setup on my very first attempt to back up to
a super charger. The camera makes it look too close and my pedal setting was set to standard.
I was attempting to micromanage the movement of the car as to not crash it into the charger.

I was amazed that it refused to move and announced it's distain for my micromanagement of it's controls. 😍
My first Easter egg! 👍

My friend told me his wife ran into the garage door. It was in a Bolt. I asked him if she had unbuckled
her seatbelt ? The reply was, YES. As soon as the seatbelt is disconnected, one pedal regen is turned off.
It felt like the car accelerated, but, in reality, it stopped slowing down and she didn't react and didn't hit the brake pedal.👍

Is this a known problem?
Yes, of course, in the general sense... cars malfunction. It can be the result of computer hardware or software failure (or, less likely, shorted wiring, in which the brake signal wire shorts with the accelerator signal... or solder shorts in the relevant boards, which often show up as intermittent faults.) Even brands that are considered to be of more consistent quality than Teslas (Toyotas, for example) can have unintended acceleration without any driver input.

As you may know, the Hertz CEO recently retired as a result of his experience with Teslas.

My MY has jerked the steering wheel substantially (circa 20 degrees) to the right while sitting at a stop light with FSD engaged. It also attempted to steer me directly into the path of an overtaking pickup truck travelling 20-30 mph faster than me when that truck was about 5 feet from my rear bumper. Fortunately, I maintain situational awareness and keep my hands snugly on the wheel and my foot ready to brake at all times when FSD is engaged... and of course I would never use it with anyone else in the car without warning them of the possible hazards. In three days of FSD testing, I had to take over control about 6 times to avoid collisions.

Cars with essential safety features released to the public in Beta stage (think the auto wiper system) can be expected to fail in possibly dangerous ways. I am not aware of any other auto manufacturer who releases safety-critical systems at the beta stage. I am also disturbed that Tesla's "Beta" is what I might call Alpha+.

My strong inclination would be to trust your wife.

WOW!

Glancing back through this thread I am shocked by the number of rude wife haters, and ludicrous assertions about the impossibility of car failures.

Millions of replacement ECUs are sold every year for cars in which the ECU has failed. Computers fail routinely. Has no one here seen the blue screen of death? Has no one had to reset a cell phone or reboot a laptop???

Having flown aircraft with real autopilots, and having designed and built a plugin hybrid, and having advised industry on numerous safety issues, I have some understanding of the issues that goes a bit beyond the superficiality seen here. Pintos really burst into flames as a result of bad engineering. Ford Explorers really flipped over as a result of bursting Firestone tires; the collusion of the CEOs is famous.

In airliners in the mid eighties, we had huge annunciator panels with loads of yellow and red lights, that announced failures in highly- engineered systems. Airliners are built to a much higher standard than cars as regards safety. If failures were impossible in these far- better-than-Tesla systems, then why were the annunciator lights necessary?

What a rough crowd.

If the genders were changed, would the husband be treated as an incompetent liar? In addition to reporting the event to your insurance company, report it to the NHTSA. That is pretty quick to do online, but slow to do by phone... but they seem like nice folks.

Nissan Leaf forums are not like this. Chevy Volt forums are not like this. What is it about Tesla that brings out the worst in people?

Status
Not open for further replies.