Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not necessarily in a hurry to get my first Tesla - it's certainly a want and not a need. With that said, I must say that none of the Tesla experience has been pleasant so far from the attitude, helpfulness, and response time of the SA to the useless EDDs and text messages to the way the buying process works for Texas residents (having to pay for a vehicle you've never seen before it will be delivered to you). From an outside perspective, it seems crazy to pay this much money, wait this long, face so much uncertainty, and jump through so many hoops just for the opportunity to own one of the lowest-quality automobiles in the industry just because of its "cool factor".

Like many others, I'm anxious to learn whether or not the Model Y will still quality for the full tax credit this week since my purchase it contingent on it. If it doesn't, I will likely cancel my order, return the Mobile Connector, and ask for my $250 "non-refundable" order fee back because the vehicle wasn't delivered during the time frame that I originally agreed to when I placed the order.

If the full tax credit still applies, then I'll continue to wait.

lowest-quality automobiles in the industry

Do you have any newer sources that confirm that this is true as of 2023? Consumer Reports is suspect nowadays due to their affiliation with Ford. There is kind of a disconnect between stated poor quality and the high customer satisfaction. I realize that Tesla used to have a lot more issues especially with the Model S. Not saying Tesla is perfect but certainly no worse than other legacy manufacturers. Now you could argue that they ARE worse quality-wise than other premium brand vehicles like Mercedes and BMW etc and this should not really be acceptable given the high prices for the vehicles.

My Chicago delivery was originally 3/29, then pushed to 3/30 at 6:30 p.m. Pushed again this morning to 3/31 at 10:30 a.m.

Still nervous about the tax credit getting reduced, we shall see . . . . As someone else said, this week is getting longer - for lots of us, it seems.
I wish you luck! Your build is almost identical to mine except for the tow hitch. Gives me hope they are actually building Blue/Black cars. :)

Do you have any newer sources that confirm that this is true as of 2023? Consumer Reports is suspect nowadays due to their affiliation with Ford. There is kind of a disconnect between stated poor quality and the high customer satisfaction. I realize that Tesla used to have a lot more issues especially with the Model S. Not saying Tesla is perfect but certainly no worse than other legacy manufacturers. Now you could argue that they ARE worse quality-wise than other premium brand vehicles like Mercedes and BMW etc and this should not really be acceptable given the high prices for the vehicles.
Pretty sure that Mercedes and BMW are not that much higher on Consumer Reports.

Today's the day alright - for the first time since I ordered on Jan 20, my EDD is now past all previous EDDs.

This car...IF and WHEN it ever arrives...better be a profound, life-changing experience for me. Having bought dozens of new automobiles over the decades, I have NEVER waited on one before. Once I decided to buy something, I took it home that same day. :)

View attachment 922166
intend on switching back to 19 inch wheels now?

Finally, received VIN today.
Randomly checked the app, had a message to accept Tesla vision terms. Immediately assigned the VIN only after accepting.

EDD 3/28-3/31
Seattle area and MSM. ✌️
Hope delivery goes smooth.
Congratulations and please let the rest of us in the Seattle area know how your delivery goes and where you actually picked up the car

Reactions: _rockstar
My Performance Y had 3 miles accepted the car and later noticed the hood has a dimple to the right side of the T when the hood is closed. I looked at the hood nuts and the latch and Tesla obviously tried to readjust it- since white paint had been dabbed over the fasteners. Already am past the imperfection complaint window.
I did my own adjustments and got rid of about 80% of the Tin canning... Good enough for me, everything else was close to perfect. Last thing I want is a different or repainted hood that may not exactly match color wise. My car has its own unique little birth mark :) probably not alone there.
I don't think they are locked. Went to SC in NJ and they were open so people can sit in them and see what they are like.
Yep, when I picked up my Y wife sat in a showroom Model X
2023.2.200 is a factory FW version. Typically it takes 2-4 weeks for a new car to be pushed a public update. But maybe with 2023.6.9 being so important because it brings back Park Assist, Tesla will push it out sooner to new deliveries?? Who knows...you can't predict anything with Tesla.
Except shifting EDD's can make a person spend more and up the order to a MYP to get a VIN to keep sanity intact.
I'm not necessarily in a hurry to get my first Tesla - it's certainly a want and not a need. With that said, I must say that none of the Tesla experience has been pleasant so far from the attitude, helpfulness, and response time of the SA to the useless EDDs and text messages to the way the buying process works for Texas residents (having to pay for a vehicle you've never seen before it will be delivered to you). From an outside perspective, it seems crazy to pay this much money, wait this long, face so much uncertainty, and jump through so many hoops just for the opportunity to own one of the lowest-quality automobiles in the industry just because of its "cool factor".

Like many others, I'm anxious to learn whether or not the Model Y will still quality for the full tax credit this week since my purchase it contingent on it. If it doesn't, I will likely cancel my order, return the Mobile Connector, and ask for my $250 "non-refundable" order fee back because the vehicle wasn't delivered during the time frame that I originally agreed to when I placed the order.

The Cool Factor??

When I stopped by the bank to get the certified check for My Performance Y a bank teller gal overheard that the check was for a Tesla and made a scene in the bank about why on earth would you want a Tesla or anything else that had to do with Elon Musk.
Then she said Good Luck finding a place to charge it which I told her was my garage overnight. Then she said well that is where I would park it as well since Shure don't want my neighbors to see it.

After picking up the Y was headed home past a school .
20 MPH still in force. I kept the speed at 20
On coming traffic was a F-250, Girl driving sees the Tesla and floors it headed for the school zone.
Sticks her arm out the window flipping me off and screaming obscenities at me all while entering the school zone at over 50 miles an hour.

Last few days no Incidents like those two.

If I had any buyers remorse it was related to those two interactions... that Other People initiated.

Agree with you that Tesla needs to step up their customer service and delivery process/estimates.

That being said, ordering a Tesla is like pre-ordering a new phone where you place the order, wait, and then eventually receive the phone. Though we can obviously see that Tesla's customer service, communication, etc are lacking heavily compared to companies like Google, Amazon, etc.

Even after a phone's release, you typically buy it from stores that got it straight from the company and have inventory on hand. For Tesla, you order a car that most probably hasn't been built yet and there's no middleman that carries the product and is selling it to you (maybe the SCs/Showrooms if they have some cars available). It's not like you go to a local store/dealership and they have the brand new item in stock; you are directly relying on Tesla on where their inventory goes and who it is delivered to first aka it's NOT a simple queue. There is no "skipping the line" because Tesla determines what the line is and it can be a dashed line where there are temporarily missed/skipped dashes.

I'm a very technical and tech saavy person so that's probably why I can understand what is happening behind the scenes while being a buyer/customer. If you're just an average buyer/customer, then yes this whole thing is very upsetting and concerning.

I am on the same boat. I don't "need" a Tesla. Initially I was planning to replace my Audi with Tesla. After seeing many quality issues and pathetic customer experience, I decided to keep my Audi, wait and watch what happens with Tesla.

The Cool Factor??

When I stopped by the bank to get the certified check for My Performance Y a bank teller gal overheard that the check was for a Tesla and made a scene in the bank about why on earth would you want a Tesla or anything else that had to do with Elon Musk.
Then she said Good Luck finding a place to charge it which I told her was my garage overnight. Then she said well that is where I would park it as well since Shure don't want my neighbors to see it.

On coming traffic was a F-250, Girl driving sees the Tesla and floors it headed for the school zone.
Sticks her arm out the window flipping me off and screaming obscenities at me all while entering the school zone at over 50 miles an hour.

Last few days no Incidents like those two.

If I had any buyers remorse it was related to those two interactions... that Other People initiated.
Both incidents are a shame.

If I was you I would have walked over to the branch manager and complained. It is no one's business what car you are buying and for what reasons. I will not get into all the political BS over Twitter and the MSM demonizing anyone they do not like. That person should be fired. You are a paying customer.

Too bad the F-250 did not get a ticket. Would have been sweet revenge!

intend on switching back to 19 inch wheels now?

That's actually a consideration since the effort to shorten my wait time by changing from 19" to 20" wheels not only may have been futile, but may have actually hurt. Most of the thousands of late-March Model Y production appears to be 19" based on all the drone videos I've been watching.

Removing the tow hitch may also expedite delivery, but I'd rather have it installed at the factory instead of paying $300 more to have a brand new vehicle disassembled and reassembled by someone at a service center.

That being said, ordering a Tesla is like pre-ordering a new phone where you place the order, wait, and then eventually receive the phone. Though we can obviously see that Tesla's customer service, communication, etc are lacking heavily compared to companies like Google, Amazon, etc.
Coincidentally, I was thinking of that analogy while typing my post.

I like having the newer/newest model of iPhone, but I will not camp out in front of a store or stay up all night just to be one of the first to own one. By the time they become readily available to the point I can have one the same or next day, I'm no longer interested in the current model because of the rumored improvements to the next model. As a result, I'm still using a 4-1/2 year-old iPhone XS Max that I probably won't replace until I am forced to. :)

The latest J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (which looks at problems during the first 90 days of ownership) and Vehicle Dependability Study (which looks at problems on 3 year-old vehicles) both put Tesla near the bottom. The 2023 IQS isn't out yet and we won't know how today's Teslas will rank on the VDS until three years from now, so the best we can do is look at history and use trends to make predictions.

Despite the fluctuating opinions of CR's employees over the decades, I still put significant weight on their published data. They show Tesla at #19 out of 24 brands for reliability. Ford is #18, so I don't see much "affiliation" bias going on there. :)

Despite nearly all sources pointing to poor quality with Tesla vehicles, owners still love them and are very loyal to the brand. We've seen that in many brands over time - just look at all the people who keep buying Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge models over and over again.

I'm not poo-pooing on Tesla - I think they are a fascinating company who makes a fascinating product, but the brand does seem near cult-ish and from someone who is interested in Tesla, but has never owned one, I see (and begrudgingly accept) them as low-quality vehicles that have enough advantages to make them appealing enough to purchase.

Probably she's jealous that she can't spend $60K?

• Funny
Reactions: hp1234 and Skunis
That's actually a consideration since the effort to shorten my wait time by changing from 19" to 20" wheels not only may have been futile, but may have actually hurt. Most of the thousands of late-March Model Y production appears to be 19" based on all the drone videos I've been watching.

Removing the tow hitch may also expedite delivery, but I'd rather have it installed at the factory instead of paying $300 more to have a brand new vehicle disassembled and reassembled by someone at a service center.

I like having the newer/newest model of iPhone, but I will not camp out in front of a store or stay up all night just to be one of the first to own one. By the time they become readily available to the point I can have one the same or next day, I'm no longer interested in the current model because of the rumored improvements to the next model. As a result, I'm still using a 4-1/2 year-old iPhone XS Max that I probably won't replace until I am forced to. :)

The latest J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (which looks at problems during the first 90 days of ownership) and Vehicle Dependability Study (which looks at problems on 3 year-old vehicles) both put Tesla near the bottom. The 2023 IQS isn't out yet and we won't know how today's Teslas will rank on the VDS until three years from now, so the best we can do is look at history and use trends to make predictions.

Despite the fluctuating opinions of CR's employees over the decades, I still put significant weight on their published data. They show Tesla at #19 out of 24 brands for reliability. Ford is #18, so I don't see much "affiliation" bias going on there. :)

Despite nearly all sources pointing to poor quality with Tesla vehicles, owners still love them and are very loyal to the brand. We've seen that in many brands over time - just look at all the people who keep buying Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge models over and over again.

I'm not poo-pooing on Tesla - I think they are a fascinating company who makes a fascinating product, but the brand does seem near cult-ish and from someone who is interested in Tesla, but has never owned one, I see (and begrudgingly accept) them as low-quality vehicles that have enough advantages to make them appealing enough to purchase.
So even based on JD Powers survey they are not the lowest..

2022071a.png

But even then there are questions - Tesla did not provide information for certain states for the 2021 survey.. I wonder if this happened again in 2022?

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
I am on the same boat. I don't "need" a Tesla. Initially I was planning to replace my Audi with Tesla. After seeing many quality issues and pathetic customer experience, I decided to keep my Audi, wait and watch what happens with Tesla.
Me too. I will wait and see what happens with IRA by end of this week. I think Tesla will release lot of VIN's starting end of this week for Q2 sales as the deliveries will be in April. There might be lot of cancellations based on IRS Guidelines and some orders might get ahead in line. For NJ folks, we have a state incentive cap of $55,000 and those wanting to maximize the incentives, cannot upgrade from the locked price of max $54,999. Not Sure how many of these will stay if IRS guideline are not favorable.

.... I must say that none of the Tesla experience has been pleasant so far from the attitude, helpfulness, and response time of the SA to the useless EDDs and text messages to the way the buying process works for Texas residents (having to pay for a vehicle you've never seen before it will be delivered to you). From an outside perspective, it seems crazy to pay this much money, wait this long, face so much uncertainty, and jump through so many hoops just for the opportunity to own one of the lowest-quality automobiles in the industry just because of its "cool factor".

I am a lifetime BMW guy and have been driving Hybrid/EV for the last year.... I have had my Model 3 for 4 years and I will say that it is by far the BEST car in terms of Performance/Handling and EV efficiency. NO ONE comes close in the market. And DEFINITELY not in the price range/value.

But I will warn you... Tesla's CS is non-existing. It is a good thing the Tesla Cars are simple and thus reliable (The only service I had in 4 yrs is the refill of windshield fluid and replacement of 12V Battery (yes it has one! Just a "normal car") to which I was able to make appointment thru Tesla App and the mobile tech showsup at my workplace and done in 20 mins. My point is... despite the shitty CS, the Tesla is truly amazing and trouble-free. Once you own the car you will realize there is just NOTHING out in the market comes close to Tesla.

I cannot agree with the "Lowest Quality" statement. You cannot use the Consumer Report's false opinion to judge a tesla. I am a HUGE Consumer Report fan, and would not buy a vacuum or fridge without consulting with CR. But CR is DEAD wrong about Tesla.

...anxious to learn whether or not the Model Y will still quality for the full tax credit this week since my purchase it contingent on it. If it doesn't, I will likely cancel my order, return the Mobile Connector, and ask for my $250 "non-refundable" order fee back because the vehicle wasn't delivered during the time frame that I originally agreed to when I placed the order.

Okay... Good Freaking luck with getting $250 order fee back. LOL!! You will be stonewalled to death on this one. Tesla never refunded me my $100 "Refundable Deposit" on my Solar system to which THEY canceled on. It has been 3 yrs and I am at a point realizing I have better luck begging for $100 at roadside panhandling than anyone from tesla answering my email/phone calls.

As a CPA (but not working for IRS) I am 99.9% certain that full $7,500 on MY LR and MYP will be qualified. I am also of the opinion that the Treasury's announcement won't be out by March 31, 2023

Cheers,

beewang

I agree with your assessment on poor quality with Tesla vehicles based on the track record that you mentioned from the past years. I'm just hoping that I don't get the dud, and keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to go through any sub-par quality issues that shouldn't have happened at the first place. Some people think it's ok to have these quality issues such as subpar paint quality, inconsistent gap, etc. because it's not a 'luxury brand' and we're not paying as much as the 'luxury brand" vehicles, but I disagree.

Me too. I will wait and see what happens with IRS by end of this week. I think Tesla will release lot of VIN's starting end of this week for Q2 sales as the deliveries will be in April. There might be lot of cancellations based on IRS Guidelines and some orders might get ahead in line. For NJ folks, we have a state incentive cap of $55,000 and those wanting to maximize the incentives, cannot upgrade from the locked price of max $54,999. Not Sure how many of these will stay if IRS guideline are not favorable.

Pardon me for being jerk... but this "if IRS guideline not favorable.." is dumb...

I mean.. look.. Does Tesla NOT know exactly what chemistry/material is being used at what cars they are building?? They helped lobbied and wrote the rules for godsake. This whole thing about "oh!! you better buy now/today cuz we dunno what the Treasury guideline will be" and you wont get the $7,500 is totally a Sales Closing strategy.

rant off.. Sorry! 🙃

beewang

Same here! I love my audi a4, and this is my second a4 since 2010. We'll see if I end up selling it or not though.

Reactions: erktrek and imgcs
Agree with you that Tesla needs to step up their customer service and delivery process/estimates.

Even after a phone's release, you typically buy it from stores that got it straight from the company and have inventory on hand. For Tesla, you order a car that most probably hasn't been built yet and there's no middleman that carries the product and is selling it to you (maybe the SCs/Showrooms if they have some cars available). It's not like you go to a local store/dealership and they have the brand new item in stock; you are directly relying on Tesla on where their inventory goes and who it is delivered to first aka it's NOT a simple queue. There is no "skipping the line" because Tesla determines what the line is and it can be a dashed line where there are temporarily missed/skipped dashes.

I'm a very technical and tech saavy person so that's probably why I can understand what is happening behind the scenes while being a buyer/customer. If you're just an average buyer/customer, then yes this whole thing is very upsetting and concerning.

I've been in software dev/release mgmt/solution architecture/pre-sales/success mgmt for 25 years. Let's just be honest - Tesla still has a long way to go when it comes to customer experience management. One 101 rule of thumb is to always level set low expectations and then come in ahead of said expectations whenever feasible. Tesla seems to not have learned this very basic lesson - and consistently sets aggressive customer expectations for delivery - and then persistently delivers disappointment again and again with delays for EDD and then delays for actual delivery in many instances. This is primarily due to a lack of investment in resources to actually better manage the customer experience. When Tesla was the only game in town - people would endure the disappointment because there were no other choices. Nowadays they aren't the only game in town - so perhaps they should invest more heavily in delivering better customer experiences or risk losing business to competition.

As a real world example, anyone can also custom order cars from any other manufacturer. If/when you order from BMW/Mercedes/Audi - you can track your order from inception - and you can actually watch your order ship - tracking the location of your actual vehicle - once it is built - at any time. This process builds anticipation for the buyer. Sure - delays occur - and their processes aren't perfect either to be sure - but overall this type of thing actually enhances the overall customer experience when custom ordering any vehicle. Tesla would be wise to consider enhancing their customer experience management and helping to build anticipation with realistic delivery dates - and real time tracking of your vehicles within the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek