Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost £1.5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But when that upgrade button is sitting there on your account it is VERY tempting to press....

If it added 10% range rather than shaving 10% ish off the 0-60 acceleration I’d be more likely to press the upgrade button. My LR is more than quick enough for me and I don’t fancy ever having to explain “acceleration boost” to an insurer quizzing me about modifications.

The difference of half a second 0-60 IS noticeable... as example it’s the difference between a golf R and an Audi RS3.... iv owned both and iv raced a golf R in my Rs3 off the lights...it’s big!
And the quicker the 2 cars the bigger difference .5 seconds is.
Not saying the money for Tesla upgrade is worth it but just saying the acceleration is a big diff ‘if’ you like straight line acceleration

It was always my intention to take the upgrade once I’d got the car - I fancied an M3P, but I cover a lot of miles and wanted the range and relative comfort (suspension/wheels) that the LR offers. I love the OOB pace of the LR, but mostly for sh1ts and giggles, I want the extra performance. Pressed the button this afternoon, waiting for the download, tomorrow I hope to be giggling, not the other of course - there appears to be a shortage of loo roll :D

dont look at the time difference, look at the increase in acceleration. 0.5/4.4 is 11%.
The upgrade give you a car that accelerates 11% harder than before.
That will be really quite noticeable.

As for ICE upgrades, we've all been there and pretty much without exception they would all invalidate your warranty, leaving you with a more highly stressed engine, risk of some major bills and naff all chance of ever getting your money back on the upgrades.

The Tesla upgrade is fully warranted, and very likely will enhance the car's value at resale.

Personally I think it is a great offer by Tesla, whether you want it or can justify the expense is a different matter.
You'll still be in my rear view mirror though - sorry ;)

I considered it... I've decided against.

For one, it's a lot of money. I'm also leasing the car.

However, the main reason was: the car is already faster than I need! I've always been in pursuit of more speed and power in my cars. However, I tested both the LR and the P before plumping for the LR. It was more comfortable, said to have slightly better range, and still scared the bejesus out of me when I floored it. Even now, months in I rarely put the pedal to the floor (except to scare people lol)

It was always my intention to take the upgrade once I’d got the car - I fancied an M3P, but I cover a lot of miles and wanted the range and relative comfort (suspension/wheels) that the LR offers. I love the OOB pace of the LR, but mostly for sh1ts and giggles, I want the extra performance. Pressed the button this afternoon, waiting for the download, tomorrow I hope to be giggling, not the other of course - there appears to be a shortage of loo roll :D

How did it go??

So how often do you yahoos feel the need to hoof-it off the traffic lights? Or is it just a case of you;ve only had the car a few weeks and still playing? With the Tesla costs of fixing any non-warranty damage, let alone the time it takes them, I tend to drive defensively an save booting it for very few cases. Mind you with mine in the shop for 5 weeks and counting over the rodent damage I don't see I'll get to play anytime soon....:(

So how often do you yahoos feel the need to hoof-it off the traffic lights? Or is it just a case of you;ve only had the car a few weeks and still playing? With the Tesla costs of fixing any non-warranty damage, let alone the time it takes them, I tend to drive defensively an save booting it for very few cases. Mind you with mine in the shop for 5 weeks and counting over the rodent damage I don't see I'll get to play anytime soon....:(

See my response to NastyNick83 ;) I guess the novelty will wear off sometime..... but never the giggles :D

'Accidentally' pressed the upgrade button a few weeks ago (I might have to tell the wife one day). I concur with the above. The car was plenty quick to start with but the difference in acceleration is a hoot (and actually quite violent). Overtaking a joy and traffic light getaways still make me laugh (Instead of annoying BMW M3's you can do the same with Porsche 911's). You have to try hard to be sensible because you can find yourself from 70 to 100+ quicker than you can blink (only on German Autobahns of course).

'Accidentally' pressed the upgrade button a few weeks ago (I might have to tell the wife one day). I concur with the above. The car was plenty quick to start with but the difference in acceleration is a hoot (and actually quite violent). Overtaking a joy and traffic light getaways still make me laugh (Instead of annoying BMW M3's you can do the same with Porsche 911's). You have to try hard to be sensible because you can find yourself from 70 to 100+ quicker than you can blink (only on German Autobahns of course).
I do quite lot of overtaking because the journeys I do involve a lot of fast single carriageway roads ( and because I can :)). I have to say I haven't noticed myself thinking at any point. "damn if only this LR was a little bit faster I could overtake here"
Now if I could have a button to halve it in size on demand so it would fit into the tiny little gaps people leave between cars in lines of traffic THAT would be really useful.

• Funny
Reactions: Fraank and Jez_GB