Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost £1.5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't, as I'm leasing (and between jobs!), but there's a big thread in main forum and 90% of people say it's a huge improvement. The pull from 40mph isn't far off the M3P.

There is a 48hr refund window in the US, not sure if that also exists in the UK.

The pull from 40mph isn't far off the M3P.

I thought that the difference between Performance and LR AWD was more about the benefit of the included rollout of the performance time and the performance being physically quicker off the line. Once you were up and moving, performance figures started to converge to equality. So even stock, it won't be far off the performance from 40.

In ICE terms, £1,500 for 0.5 second increase in performance is CHEAP! Especially going from an already quick car.

I suspect you'd notice more real-world performance increase on the 30-60mph sprint.

Nick
I don't know if should be funny, this CHEAP.
I remember, with Honda Accord 150hp(year 2009), I spent around to £500 to gain +/- 50hp(I don't know how should be in seconds).
This gain was in the same way: software.

• Disagree
Reactions: Npap
I remember, with Honda Accord 150hp(year 2009), I spent around to £500 to gain +/- 50hp(I don't know how should be in seconds).

It really is cheap. Having modified cars my whole life, gaining 0.5 seconds on a car doing 0-60 in the 4s range already would cost you a lot more than £1500. At that point its not just a case of adding a new air filter, its about increasing boost pressure which increases engine stress and temperatures which leads to requiring bigger inter-coolers, forged pistons, forged conrods, lightened fly-wheels, de-cat exhausts, ECU remaps. Try doing all of this without voiding a manufacturers warranty.

Comparing this to a Honda Accord???? o_O...try more like comparing to Porsche 911.

It's all subjective of course.

You may well have reduced 0-60 by more than 0.5s but from a much slower starting point.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay of course. Cost difference new from LR and Performance is £5k. I appreciate you get 20" alloys, carbon spoiler, bigger brakes, slightly different suspension within the £5k delta - but makes the £1.5k to get closer to the performance, again doesn't seem horrendous.

Would I pay it had I had the LR and not the performance? Largely depends on rationale on buying the LR in the first place and whether it ticks all your boxes.

Nick

It really is cheap. Having modified cars my whole life, gaining 0.5 seconds on a car doing 0-60 in the 4s range already would cost you a lot more than £1500. At that point its not just a case of adding a new air filter, its about increasing boost pressure which increases engine stress and temperatures which leads to requiring bigger inter-coolers, forged pistons, forged conrods, lightened fly-wheels, de-cat exhausts, ECU remaps. Try doing all of this without voiding a manufacturers warranty.

Comparing this to a Honda Accord???? o_O...try more like comparing to Porsche 911.
Comparing with the cars what I have and modified, for fun and not for Track.
Civic type R 2018 was stock... no change.

No offence but there's no way in hell you got +50bhp for £500 on a naturally aspirated car* with just a remap.

* Maybe on something with buckets of BHP already, like a Ferrari.
No offence, but is what was due in both Accord's I have (150 and 180hp).
Feel free to believe the price.
Diesel Accord is turbo!

By the way, just for fun and not track use, extra half seconds isn't cheap... for Me.

Who want have the possibility to activate ;)
Screenshot_20200213-124032_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200213-124121_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200213-124032_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213-124032_Samsung Internet.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20200213-124121_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213-124121_Samsung Internet.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 41
In ICE terms, £1,500 for 0.5 second increase in performance is CHEAP! Especially going from an already quick car.

I suspect you'd notice more real-world performance increase on the 30-60mph sprint.

Nick
This. This is the arugment I was making when an anti EVer was saying that the Tesla sheep will splash out silly money for an update. He piped down when I replied saying that to take a 4.4s ICE to 3.9s would cost a lot more than £1500 once you factor in the required hardware, software maps, and all the dyno time required to fine tune the map.

Reactions: Jez_GB